PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting by using real photos only?

Deboir
05-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Hello,

I want to start to draw digital paintings and they should looks like luis royo or victoria frances..... but................. i cannot draw anything with pen & paper and so I cant paint anything with programs like photoshop, corel etc.
but..
i find out that i am good in manipulating real photos or painting new hair, new skin etc. (and it looks like digital too).

so i need an opinion for my idea.
my idea is to take photos of all things i want to draw (background, persons in different positions, waterfall, caves) and using photoshop or corel to just paint over them, resize the objects, create own scenarios. is it a good way to start creating art? maybe its very inconvenient ..

Lunatique
06-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Photo-manipulation is a popular style, and there are even successful commercial illustrators who work that way. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them? You should look up Dave Seeley, Dave McKean, Jason Felix, Steve Stone, John Ennis...etc. They all used/use photos in their work extensively.

You need to understand something very important though, and that is, the usage of photos should never be a crutch, but simply a tool. If you don't learn the essential foundations of visual art, then even your photo manipulations will lack credibility and look very amateurish. Take a look at the "Becoming A Better Artist" link in my signature and then read the description of the workshop on the details page--it describes all the most essential foundations that all visual artists must learn regardless of their chosen medium or style.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2011, 04:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.