PDA

View Full Version : Missing Text

blueagave
10-27-2003, 01:25 AM
I've searched on cgtalk and the yahoo forum and couldn't find a solution ...

I am trying out the V.4 demo, and on my Nvidia FX card I don't get any text in the text input areas (transtlate, rotate, scale, etc). Everything else in the interface looks ok and I don't have any issues when using Lightwave or Cinema 4D.

I can click-drag in those areas and the arrows highlight, and I can see the effects of my changes, I just can't see any values.

I've applied all the tweaks I could find for other messiah interface issues (no OpenGL AA, vsync off, block transfer buffer swap, etc) to no avail. I've tried a couple revs of drivers, including the latest - no difference.

I don't doubt it is a video card / driver issues. I'm hoping someone can suggest a solution that doesn't require me to buy a new card to use messiah.

Thanks.

Panikos
10-27-2003, 02:12 AM
Often such problems are due to your language or Small/Large fonts settings.

Play around these, soon you will find the solution.

Good luck
;)

Geco
10-27-2003, 02:21 AM
which nvidiafx card?

blueagave
10-27-2003, 04:10 AM
Playing around with the font sizes didn't work (I tried small, large, and a couple specific sizes), but doing that led me to the HW acceleration option which I had forgotten about (never had to mess with it before). If I turn off all acceleration, I get the missing text. Of course that has a pretty severe impact on overall performance.

The card is a 5200 FX (not tops by any stretch, but hasn't given me any OpenGL trouble before). I'm running on Win 2K.

Thanks for the tips.

lmilton
10-27-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by blueagave
I've searched on cgtalk and the yahoo forum and couldn't find a solution ...

I am trying out the V.4 demo, and on my Nvidia FX card I don't get any text in the text input areas (transtlate, rotate, scale, etc). Everything else in the interface looks ok and I don't have any issues when using Lightwave or Cinema 4D.

I can click-drag in those areas and the arrows highlight, and I can see the effects of my changes, I just can't see any values.

I've applied all the tweaks I could find for other messiah interface issues (no OpenGL AA, vsync off, block transfer buffer swap, etc) to no avail. I've tried a couple revs of drivers, including the latest - no difference.

I don't doubt it is a video card / driver issues. I'm hoping someone can suggest a solution that doesn't require me to buy a new card to use messiah.

Thanks.

Hmmm... right click on the Customize tab and go to turn off GUI Style->Small Font. That will use a larger font.

Let me know if this works...

-lyle

dobermunk
10-27-2003, 07:06 AM
I ran into this while showing off messiah at the School I teach at. One of the students tracked it down to the hardware acceleration under the graphic card setting.
He's much more knowledgeable about the details, so I asked him to report this himself. I'll check back with him.

blueagave
10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
lmilton, nope. I tried all combinations of fonts and colors in the gui menu - still no text in the text entry boxes.

Thanks for the idea though.

Geco
10-27-2003, 02:31 PM
blueagave you'll find more about this issue at the pmG yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pmGmessiah/), type 5200 in the search box.

stanzi
10-27-2003, 06:53 PM
hi lyle
i am the student dobermunk talkt about :-)
and iīll try to describe it more technically but everything importend is allready said:
we have Quadro FX500 cards and the Nvdia 45.23 drivers, Windows XP and the rest....dell worstation and so on..
i just deactivated the hardware acceleration in the "advanced" panel of the display settings...thats all and then everything was ok..and by the way itīs a great program!:beer:

hope i could help somebody
stanzi

Geco
10-28-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by stanzi
... i just deactivated the hardware acceleration in the "advanced" panel of the display settings...thats all and then everything was ok ...
really?
with this fix your quadro fx 500 work probably slower than an old geforce 2.
how many fps did you get before and after?

stanzi
10-28-2003, 07:32 AM
hmm
didnīt experience any slowdown while working in messiah
but i can check it out

ljilekor
10-28-2003, 03:11 PM
We have the same problem at my compagny. Text doesn't display with the latest nvidia cards with the latest drivers.

Insall an older version of the driver. It worxx

Stupid though, something has to be done about it.

Panikos
10-31-2003, 04:56 PM
I just bought a GForce FX 5200 and I have the missing text problem. However I managed to find a solution.

By decreasing the Display size from 1152x864 to 1024x768, the text is displayed.

fwtep
10-31-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Panikos
I just bought a GForce FX 5200 and I have the missing text problem. However I managed to find a solution.

By decreasing the Display size from 1152x864 to 1024x768, the text is displayed. Does it work at 1280x1024?

Fred

Panikos
10-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Nope.

Any size higher than 1024 (Horizontal) has the same problem.
The text at the bottom message-box dissapears, as well as the numbers in the boxes (frame #, values etc)

The rest of text on windows and buttons is Ok.

Using higher than 1152 and 256 colors, even though the messiah UI is messed, I can see the messages in the box.

I guess is a bitplane-palette problem.
:blush:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.