PDA

View Full Version : FumeFX shape/density/transparency/color

mikeguy3086
05-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Let me start off by saying that, I have done all of Allan McKay's DVDs, and they are fantastic! I've gained a lot of knowledge regarding FumeFX.

But still, after all of the DVD's I still have the biggest problem with a few things, that are mentioned in my title. I know it is 4 different problems, but they are all related. Mostly it's a problem I run into time and time again, and when I watch examples of people's Fume sims, I just can't figure it out how they get the results they do. Which to get to the point, is right when my emitter ignites and started to explode. It always seems to be a very "flat" looking ball instead of something like: http://vimeo.com/21480279

My end result is always the same when it first ignites: The fire isn't dense enough, it's too transparent; it looks like a semi-transparent cylinder that is just sprouting from the the ground plane. I know you would think "just turn up the opacity/color of the fire, but when I do that, it starts getting the banding.

I may have missed it in Allan's DVDs, but I can't seem to find a distinct answer to these problems. My fire always seems to come out very flat or dull, or just not plain bright enough. I also use pflow because it's a lot simpler for me to see it in a node than to do keyframes and have them everywhere.

I'm basically looking for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaG24xMQDYQ

Just to give some info as to things I have tried messing with to save time for suggestions:
-wavelet turbulence
-gradient colors instead of solid
-turbulence
-vorticity
-spacewarps (gravity, wind...etc.)
-incredibly high fume resolutions.
-illumination map/multiple scattering
...etc.

I'm hoping someone else had this problem too when first using FumeFX because besides that, I'm all set. I also hope I've painted a clear enough picture and I haven't been too convoluted. I really appreciate any, and all advice and help regarding this.

Thank you so much,

Michael

Glacierise
05-31-2011, 10:17 AM
One setting is not always suitable for all the duration of the effect. You'll have to animate the shading params so the fire is more opaque and colored in the start, then fades out.

mikeguy3086
05-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try today and see how it works. I'm just always trying to avoid the banding that comes up if I put the fire's density too high.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2011, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.