PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Mech

RaoulDuke
01-18-2002, 03:31 PM
HEy guys, i recently started trying to model a Mech, i really could need some good advies about details, materials and lighting now. I'm pretty new to the whole 3D thing and just wanna hear what you think =) Thx

Here it is:
http://phagen.bei.t-online.de/mech_wip.jpg

Raoul

ACFred
01-18-2002, 08:08 PM
Hey Raoul,

This is a nice start. When dealing with mechs, try to think of it as a character. As a character, think of what it's job is and what sort of tools it will need to finish the job.

You have a gun on the front. What sort of ammunition does it fire? Just make it up. Then, ask yourself where the ammunition is held. If it's a laser canon or something, maybe you need some cooling vents or hoses for liquid cooling.

Think of how the joints interact together and how it would move. Maybe hydraulic joints. Maybe there are squirrels running around inside to make the joints move. Either way, you'd probably see something external that lets you in on this. Again, wires and tubes are always good to represent fluid transmission and cooling devices. Depending on it's size, hydraulic pumps could be on the outside, encased in xylenium araconic steel that has a greenish tint to it (I just made that crap up, by the way -- no such thing -- just in case..... :) )

Are it's legs the only way it propels itself? Can it fly? If so, how? Etc, etc, etc....

Anyway, you see my point. I can tell you what to put on the outside, but I think you'd have more fun figuring that out yourself. The key is to know what it is and what it's used for and how it goes about doing what it does.

Think of each part making up the whole. Feet, lower leg, upper leg, main body, etc. How do they relate to the whole?

I'm done rambling.

Good luck with it, and have fun.

Alec

RaoulDuke
01-18-2002, 08:25 PM
Hi AC, thx for your ideas, i like this hydraulic legs thing, gonna try to make something like that over the weekend.

fairywell

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.