PDA

View Full Version : 3D School in L.A.

kevorkio
05-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey guys im looking for a 3D school for game developpment in Los Angeles.

Thanks

taxguy
05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Check out Gnomon School of visual effects.

kevorkio
05-29-2011, 02:33 PM
I mean as a college

Almaghest
05-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Gnomon's 3 and 2 year programs do qualify for federal financial aid if that's why you are looking for a "real college."

If you're looking for a traditional Bachelor's degree...
UCLA - Film, Television & Digital Media program (they also have an Animation MFA)
Otis - Digital Media
Art Center - Entertainment Design

I'm sure there are others.

kevorkio
05-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Does art center have 3D for video games and btw I live in Canada andi plan on comming to LA

Almaghest
05-29-2011, 04:35 PM
As far as I know, none of the Bachelors programs based on LA have a specialization in one area of 3D vs another. Quickly glancing at their websites, it looks like both Otis and Art Center teach classes related to game design, with Otis having a few more specialized ones. However, I'm not super familiar with either school so you would probably be better off taking a look at their websites yourself. I'm always wary of programs that mash Animation, Game Design, Motion Graphics, and Visual Effects into one general 3D oriented program. These students typically are less prepared to enter the work force than their peers who do a more specialized program.

Also, Gnomon seems to have a very good relationship with game studios and teaches much more specialized, relevant classes as far as game design goes. If you are going to be paying out of pocket for school, you should definitely reconsider Gnomon. Having a 4 year degree is not important at all for game design and it would be a big mistake to spend that money on a degree that was less relevant to what you wanted to do just to "have a degree."

Alternatively, you could look into other 4 year programs that do offer more specialization but are not based in LA - for example, SCAD.

JanosHunyadi
05-29-2011, 04:48 PM
I can't really recommend UCLA's undergraduate film school if you are interested in animation. They only have one real animation class, and it deals with the basics of pencil sketches.

Cal Arts or one of the other recommended schools would probably be better for undergrad.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2011, 04:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.