PDA

View Full Version : Maya's viewport FPS is slow

Defonten
05-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Importing topologically the same model to Max and to Maya. In maya's viewport it shows around 12\ 15 fps which is extremely slow, but when I import the same model into Max it's as smooth as 60fps. Absoltely no lag! What could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

Kakkoii
05-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Importing topologically the same model to Max and to Maya. In maya's viewport it shows around 12\ 15 fps which is extremely slow, but when I import the same model into Max it's as smooth as 60fps. Absoltely no lag! What could be the problem? Thanks in advance!

Well it depends.. Are you comparing Max's new improved Nitro viewport to Maya's basic default viewport? Try switching to Viewport 2.0 if you're using Maya 2011 or higher.

But I think Max has always had a basic GLSL implementation that accelerated polygons like a game would. Where as Maya's regular viewport would require a workstation card to accelerate the polygon interaction. But now with Maya's VP 2.0, that's changed.

Defonten
05-29-2011, 06:00 AM
I'd love to use Viewport 2.0! But it crashes Maya forcing it to quit..

InfernalDarkness
05-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Where as Maya's regular viewport would require a workstation card to accelerate the polygon interaction. But now with Maya's VP 2.0, that's changed.

To be fair, the workstation cards never did any more work than the Geforce cards. It was simply drivers telling the Quadros/FireGLs to work cleaner and gaming cards lacking this set of driver extensions. The price is (allegedly) justified by the amount of work their staffs put into such drivers, but the actual GPU chips themselves are identical.

I'd love to use Viewport 2.0! But it crashes Maya forcing it to quit..

What graphics card are you using? Viewport 2.0 should work with every card Maya supports, and then all the recent gaming cards too. Are you using a laptop with onboard graphics?

Kakkoii
05-29-2011, 07:18 AM
To be fair, the workstation cards never did any more work than the Geforce cards. It was simply drivers telling the Quadros/FireGLs to work cleaner and gaming cards lacking this set of driver extensions. The price is (allegedly) justified by the amount of work their staffs put into such drivers, but the actual GPU chips themselves are identical.

Yeah, I'm well aware of this (and thought you knew I was too :( haha). And is one of those dirty tactics that I'm ashamed of ATI and Nvidia for doing. But my original statement is still technically valid, since it would require you to have that type of card for the drivers to kick in the acceleration (except for in the early days when you could flash your bios to a Quadro/Fire*** or spoof the drivers).

And yeah @Defonten, if you are using an ATI or Nvidia card, do you have the newest graphics drivers installed?

Defonten
05-29-2011, 07:32 AM
What graphics card are you using? Viewport 2.0 should work with every card Maya supports

It's nVidia 8800 Ultra and normal (Hightower) workstation! That's strange indeed. Yeah I got the latest drivers but they don't seem to help much.. Ridiculous..

InfernalDarkness
05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I really can't speak for Viewport 2 performance (stuck with Maya 2009 still), but I have the same card only the newer 1GB refab (GTS250), and it does fine in Maya until you hit about 1M polygons. At 4M polygons, I'm getting less than a frame a second anymore. The key is to use Visibility Layers and Bounding Box, and also use your low-poly geo as stand-ins for your displaced poly geo.

Viewport 2 performance is reported roughly 10x as potent with most cards, if not greater.

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.