PDA

View Full Version : Institutes in India

pragya
05-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Hii
Can anyone plzz suggest some good institutes in India for a professional course in 3D VFX and animation ??

gregjenings
05-27-2011, 01:24 PM
There is no institute in India which can teach you 3D VFX and animation,though to improve your basics you can try for NID.

pragya
05-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks.. but what about the institutes like ICAT, Frameboxx, Reliance Digitals n all ??

hdrockzz
05-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Seriously saying, there are no good institutes in India for VFX. Believe me, i have completed my graduation in animation from delhi & my friends are in other institutes, and i have seen the level of education :banghead: :banghead:

Although you can try FX school, mumbai

http://www.fxschool.in/courses.php

OR

Whistling Woods (courses are pretty expensive here)

http://www.wwischoolofanimation.com/Diploma-in-Visual-effects-VFX.php

http://www.wwischoolofanimation.com/

& there maybe other colleges in hydrabad/blore/chennai, but i cannot comment about them.. :D

But if you want my opinion, then join 1year course in your local college for foundation art course and side-by-side get online tutorials from digital-tutors, gnomon, fxphd, escape studios....this way you will have the required knowledge of Art/colors/sketching & also the 3D software tutorials will teach you the softwares.

Maybe this helps :thumbsup:

gregjenings
05-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I can understand you wouldn't believe but in reality things are really bad students are easy money for these institutes, for first months you can find faculty but for rest of the months only god knows.
Other schools also don't have a very good faculty irrespective of their high fee structure.
In India it is very common if you can't find a job become a faculty.
Institutes like Picasso would love to give you video tutorial downloaded from web to follow and if you ask something they don't have any answer.so it's better subscribe to online tutorials and learn better instead of spending huge money on bad institutes.

pragya
05-28-2011, 05:10 PM
hey thanks.. i was expecting this response.. i thought of doing it from abroad but that would make it pretty expensive and with all the visa troubles n everything around I have started to change my mind.. :sad:

hdrockzz
05-28-2011, 06:45 PM
hey thanks.. i was expecting this response.. i thought of doing it from abroad but that would make it pretty expensive and with all the visa troubles n everything around I have started to change my mind.. :sad:

Actually if you are serious enough for this field then you should go abroad :)
I going to Kent this Sep for MSc Digital Visual Effects :twisted: :p

But as i said earlier, get the basics first...learn the art part from your local college & try to grab tuts on vfx from the net..
& when you know all the basics & take the big step of leaving country :)

gregjenings
05-29-2011, 06:41 AM
hey hdrockzz,
I hope you have done whole research about kent and it's PG programme as in the past I interviewed 2 persons from there and they were not good enough to be hired though it was sometime back and I don't remember the name of their course but ,I hope things are different now.

pragya
05-29-2011, 02:27 PM
so can any1 plz suggest which are the good universitites abroad for 3D VFX and Animation ?? and what are my chances of getting a good job and an estimate of the salary.. ??

Coz i have no idea of how it'll be there.. :rolleyes:

hdrockzz
05-29-2011, 05:30 PM
hey hdrockzz,
I hope you have done whole research about kent and it's PG programme as in the past I interviewed 2 persons from there and they were not good enough to be hired though it was sometime back and I don't remember the name of their course but ,I hope things are different now.

Hey thanks for heads up..!
I did searched many students forums & asked around for Kent...even though i didn't get any negative response, i didn't get anything positive either :surprised

The course looks good & same with the facilities :drool:

Lets see if i can get more info, before everything finalizes :wise:

so can any1 plz suggest which are the good universitites abroad for 3D VFX and Animation ?? and what are my chances of getting a good job and an estimate of the salary.. ??

Coz i have no idea of how it'll be there.. :rolleyes:

I am guessing, you are looking for UG courses?
I didn't really came across any "univeristy" course for fx :surprised

But for UK, try & search this site for animation courses...Most of the course listed here are legit :D

http://courses.skillset.org/

About job - it will be difficult to get a job as an international student, bcoz the companies would prefer local talent, so that they dont have to go through visa processes & all :hmm:
And also most of the countries have limited the time duration of stay in the student visa...
UK has even closed the PSW visa system :cry: :cry:

pragya
05-30-2011, 09:26 PM
hmm.. alot many people adviced me against doin MS.. i wanna go for a Graduate course.. i hve already done B.E in Information Technology.. What are the options and scope in India ??

gregjenings
05-31-2011, 04:21 AM
Well you already had B.E and now you wanna move to animation and vfx (that to undergraduate level) seems to me lack of direction or you just want to have a job which you are unable to get through your B.E.Like most of engineers are now working at our famous Call Centers
First of all I would recommend en cash what you already have instead of opting for a new field which looks promising but it is not specially in India.Try graphics programming or gpu designing and programming which I am afraid not many people in India are aware of and their future seems very promising.
Now for reality check in India VFX is termed as green screen ,.wire removal and match moving work (If you want you can check out the recent jobs by various Indian Studios under VFX jobs)which makes you nothing but a glorified laborer and after attaining so much qualification I hope you don't want to be one.
The problem with most of Indians is we wanna join a field where we think we can find an easy and safe job irrespective of the initial cost without thinking whether we have the aptitude for it or not and the way Indian Institutes (specially private) are churning out Graduates .B.E.,BTech's without giving them proper education just degrees that's the reason we lack Innovation and will to try something different .

pragya
05-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Well you already had B.E and now you wanna move to animation and vfx (that to undergraduate level) seems to me lack of direction or you just want to have a job which you are unable to get through your B.E.Like most of engineers are now working at our famous Call Centers
First of all I would recommend en cash what you already have instead of opting for a new field which looks promising but it is not specially in India.Try graphics programming or gpu designing and programming which I am afraid not many people in India are aware of and their future seems very promising.
Now for reality check in India VFX is termed as green screen ,.wire removal and match moving work (If you want you can check out the recent jobs by various Indian Studios under VFX jobs)which makes you nothing but a glorified laborer and after attaining so much qualification I hope you don't want to be one.
The problem with most of Indians is we wanna join a field where we think we can find an easy and safe job irrespective of the initial cost without thinking whether we have the aptitude for it or not and the way Indian Institutes (specially private) are churning out Graduates .B.E.,BTech's without giving them proper education just degrees that's the reason we lack Innovation and will to try something different .

hey i think u got it all wrong..
i am currently working in a leading MNC.. VFX is my interest so i wanted to work in that field and was trying to find what are the possible ways and wanted some good opinion..
Thanks for that graphic programming suggestion, i'll luk into it further. Can anyone tell me more about graphic programming..

Destructor007
06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
you can try the following

Toonskool
www.toonskool.net/

ZICA
www.zica.org/

Graphiti school of animation
http://www.graphitimultimedia.com/

MAAC
www.maacindia.com

FXSchool
www.fxschool.in/

The Workstation
http://www.the-workstation.net/

BatCave School
+91-9324721063

besides theres frameboxx and arena aswell.

hope u find the right place for yourself.Good Luckhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=7000379#

hdrockzz
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
hey i think u got it all wrong..
i am currently working in a leading MNC.. VFX is my interest so i wanted to work in that field and was trying to find what are the possible ways and wanted some good opinion..
Thanks for that graphic programming suggestion, i'll luk into it further. Can anyone tell me more about graphic programming..

I know of a guy who did his B.E in electrical or computer & went to Kent University for M.Sc in VFX & got a job in 6 months! :applause:
It totally depends on your interest, so you can try to join University of Kent, Bournemouth University, SCAD for masters degree in vfx..(there maybe other schools for masters degree, but these are famous, sry if i forgot about others) :blush:

Or try Media design school (new zealand), Van arts, VFS (although you will get a seat for next year), gnomon, escape studios etc for Diploma/certificates... :rolleyes:

If you are looking for programming then you should try to master these -
C++, MEL, Python (it is replacing MEL pretty fast) & other software specific scripts :D

Dont join Toonskool....! (personal experience :D)

pragya
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks to all..

hdrockzz
06-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Thanks to all..

Glad we could help. :thumbsup:

FYI - many leading UK universities are coming to India, So meet them, maybe you could get on the spot offer letter (my friend is also hoping to get offer from Kent :p )

Good Luck :wavey:

Destructor007
06-02-2011, 02:12 PM
You know the best possible way is to clear your basics from a good institute and self learn the rest.

SandeepMaithani
06-05-2011, 05:54 PM
well....the place you are discussing this issue is a great place to start learning...at any level u see....

ptk
07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks to all..

dont leave ur current job b4 you 100% make up your mind ,,
animation industry is really dynamic competitive

maybe you can take it as a hobby 1st get the feel of it (try online tutorials )
institutes are not worth it in india ...abroad they r costly

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.