PDA

View Full Version : Pro Digital Camera

Mrtcg
10-26-2003, 02:00 PM
I am looking for a proffesional digital camera for 3d texturing
, over 5 pixel and under $1000.
A digital camera with a powerfull focus for the close shots and
to take pictures from objects, for example fruits-hand...

I appreciate it.

jsa2001
10-26-2003, 05:37 PM
This excellent camera is the next best thing to what pro's would use and should be under your price range, i always use Nikon for the quality lenses. You won't be disapointed if you bought this camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp5700/

tyson12zoll
10-26-2003, 07:11 PM
canon powershot g5 is a really nice camera for about 700.
Would leave you 300 for some nice lens options and a media card.

Amyd
10-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Canon EOS300D (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/). Right on your budget, and really the first step in the professional DSLR range of cameras.

It has some disadvantages when compared to its more expensive professional brother (the Canon EOS10D (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/)), but also lots of advantages when compared with the other cheaper prosumers and point-and-shoot models. Especially the interchangeable lenses - you get access to the wonderful EF lens mount range, which has many Canon and Canon-compatible options, anywhere from macros to extreme zooms. Some of them are pretty expensive, but at least you have the upgrade path.

You need to add a bit to your $1000 budget for the CF card, but this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Oh, and yeah, if you could delay a bit your purchase, there are other very nice options coming to market soon in the DSLR range. Most of them will be priced competitively with the EOS300D, but I do not think you'll see them before the beginning of next year.

Cheers,
Andrei

MadMax
10-27-2003, 01:25 AM
I'll second the Nikon.

There are few cameras on the market finer than Nikon and Nikon optics.

If you budget were higher, I'd tell you to get the Nikon D100, but this one is real close and at a very good price.

vrf
10-28-2003, 02:44 AM
You want to buy the Canon EOS 300D. (Digital Rebel in the US) The sensor on this DSLR blows away anything in Canon or Nikon's digicam lineup. It's a 6mp CMOS sensor with absolutely stunning results. (I have the D60, a sort of predecessor to the Digital Rebel)

Megapixels are only part of the story, though. The 300d's larger sensor size means less noise at higher ISOs. That means you can take better pictures in lower light. That's important for texturing, because adding extra light (flash, bright lamps or sunlight) to a situation often adds shadows, which you don't want for a perfect texture. Textures should be shadow-free, unless you plan on matching your scene's lighting to the lighting evident in the texture.

Best bang for your buck lens to get with the 300D is Canon's 50mm 1.8. (ends up being about 80mm on the Rebel D.) I think it's like 65 bucks these days. Great optical quality, with wonderful low-light performance, but you have to "zoom with your feet."
Unfortunately, people mostly want zooms these days, so camera manufacturers offer cheap zooms that don't match the optical quality of the good ol' standard 50mm lenses. (A good Canon zoom is the 24-85, and an excellent Canon zoom is the 24-70L, but that one will cost as much as the camera.)

In my opinion, if you're considering the Canon G5, it's absolutely silly not to spend a bit more to get the Digital Rebel. You can get the kit with a starter lens, too, but plan on another lens purchase in the future. The kits zooms are not known for stellar performance.

You can read the 300D review at www.dpreview.com. There's a good community there, too, to answer camera/lens questions.

Hope this helps.

Alexander
10-28-2003, 07:51 AM
I think too that the canon 300D is the best for the moment at the right price.

Nikon is not very convincing in the digital area right now. But I'm sure they will catch up very soon.

One other thing to think is, do you have some lenses already? Because lenses are the most expensive things.

If you get for a digital slr you will have to get more lenses, and good ones are expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

MattClary
10-28-2003, 12:19 PM
This is only a 4 megapixel and not quite pro level camera, but it is a kick ass camera. Just picked one up from Newegg.com for $499 with a 256mb Xd memory card for $109. After all was said and done, it still cost me less than buying the camera by itself at my local CompUSA (it was $599 there).

10x optical zoom!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030211olympusc740c750.asp

X3M
10-28-2003, 04:44 PM
I had the same question as you a while ago.

The camera that I like the best is Sigma SD9 / SD10 becouse of the Foveon CCD.

Next would be Canon EOS-10D which is very expensive, Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro (takes nikon lenses), and then Nikon D100. If SD9/SD10 would take Nikon lenses I would be buying it right now.

dvornik
10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
I would agree on Canon EOS 300D. One problem - a macro lens or a decent zoom would cost quite a bit extra. But you'll have an option to upgrade lenses and the body in the future.

I'm waiting for nikon to come up with a decent DSLR model in that price range cause I got nikon lenses.

Conanart
10-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Canon just released a digital version oftheir Rebel model, for $800. Worth a look.

G

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.