PDA

View Full Version : LEGO Universe Developer: I Will Never Make an MMO Again

RobertoOrtiz
05-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Ryan Seabury —An open letter to my fellow developers and gamers who follow the industry.

Drafted by Ryan Seabury, Chief Creative Occifer & Founder, END Games Entertainment.

I recently departed my beloved old development studio after helping build it from five to two hundred people, with consistent 50% growth year over year for over 10 years. I departed just after a five-year stint heading up development of LEGO Universe, the third major MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game) we built. While the specific reasons for departure were related more to cultural and ethical conflict with the corporate ownership, it created an opportunity to reflect on the past decade and re-evaluate creative priorities. I have decided to get out of the MMO game, for 3 reasons.

http://kotaku.com/5803598/i-will-never-make-an-mmo-again

Glacierise
05-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Am I being too one sided by saying MMOs are evil? :)

squidinc
05-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Am I being too one sided by saying MMOs are evil? :)

they're evil now, ever since wow came out and walked off with 12,000,000 subscribers

JanosHunyadi
05-25-2011, 06:01 AM
"With cycles this long and risky, you basically get one shot to succeed in half a decade. Ever been to Vegas? Ever put all your weekend money on a single number in roulette? It's kind of like that. Better have some backup bling to bet that big."

I think this is exactly the problem. WoW took off (the reasons I'm sure have been dragged out and discussed on almost every electronic-related forum in existence) and everyone immediately said "well if they did it, why can't we?" But no MMO has ever replaced WoW, although some of have been moderately successful (Lord of the Rings) and some have fallen on their face (Conan the Barbarian).

The author makes a good point: MMOs themselves are dead. To me, MMO is almost a turn off. Granted, I'm interested in more niche forms of gaming on my own time, but still. The MMO market has been so saturated with average MMOs, most of which have failed, that it's hard to get excited about an MMO game.

It is utterly astounding to me however, that WoW continues to cash massive checks for Blizzard, once a small little developer, making it a powerful publishing force in the gaming world.

Pretty astonishing and unparalleled.

HughBowen
05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
"With cycles this long and risky, you basically get one shot to succeed in half a decade. Ever been to Vegas? Ever put all your weekend money on a single number in roulette? It's kind of like that. Better have some backup bling to bet that big."

I think this is exactly the problem. WoW took off (the reasons I'm sure have been dragged out and discussed on almost every electronic-related forum in existence) and everyone immediately said "well if they did it, why can't we?" But no MMO has ever replaced WoW, although some of have been moderately successful (Lord of the Rings) and some have fallen on their face (Conan the Barbarian).

The author makes a good point: MMOs themselves are dead. To me, MMO is almost a turn off. Granted, I'm interested in more niche forms of gaming on my own time, but still. The MMO market has been so saturated with average MMOs, most of which have failed, that it's hard to get excited about an MMO game.

It is utterly astounding to me however, that WoW continues to cash massive checks for Blizzard, once a small little developer, making it a powerful publishing force in the gaming world.

Pretty astonishing and unparalleled.
well CCP has done very well for themselves with EVE. Mainly due to fact they are the only space MMO on the market. Few have tried this area but I hear rumors Blizzard is wanting to rain in on this parade soon.

CHRiTTeR
05-30-2011, 04:40 AM
Problem is, everyone thinks they will make the next WoW-like succes, which will never happen...

MCHammond
05-31-2011, 01:24 PM
In the not to distant future:

MMOG's will be called "GAMES"
and
GAMES will be called "SPOG's" Single Player Offline Game

I also think the the MMORPG genre is not gona last much longer in its current form. There are more and more middleware packages that will be able to lower the entry level in creating an MMORPG "and the time it takes". And alot of the popular MMORPG's look very similar in style and content. I can see in the future someone like Bigworlds or HeroEngine selling not only the engine but also having a content market "like Unity and other Engines". Once you get to that point we may find that MMORPG's become far easier to make and are the first choice for Indie game develepors.It will only take a few failed MMORPG's to sell there content to recoup there costs on such a market before they are flooded with cheap content.

I also think user created content is gona be a much larger part of these future MMORPG's like in Startrek Online were the player can create quests for other players!

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2011, 01:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.