PDA

View Full Version : Studio GPU is out, and FREE!

fablefox
05-24-2011, 09:28 AM
http://www.studiogpu.com/download/index

I don't have a DX11 GPU card yet, so going to buy one in a few month. On the other hand. AAA Furryball 2.0 beta is also out, nice to see that GPU rendering is being improved upon.

TheRazorsEdge
05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks a lot for the heads-up! :)
I'll be sure to take a look at it.

Cheers!

Glacierise
05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Yey, gutsy move!

SoulVector
05-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow, Awesome! :surprised

demoniorojo
05-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Great!! Downloading now, seems powerfull. Thank you for this gift!

Venkman
05-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Downloading now, thanks!

Edit: man, their features videos do not play reliably at all. Darn flash vids!

Bezerker75
05-24-2011, 02:35 PM
wha wha what?? wow! ...that's crazyness! well crazy goodness!

roofoo
05-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Is it for Windows only?

Aritz
05-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Would be great an older non DirectX 11 version :(

opentarget
05-24-2011, 06:04 PM
yep id love to test out a directx 10 version.
Im about to take the plunge for a new machine but not for a few weeks yet.

Alonzo
05-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Is it for Windows only?

yes, windows only - but as I know directX is also windows only

I need a new graphic card, any suggestions? it should be with directX 11 ;)

Vizfizz
05-24-2011, 06:33 PM
If you contact StudioGPU they may be able to give you an earlier version of Mach. Versions 1.x were DirectX 9. (But required a dongle....so you might have to pay for that)

Version 2.x is DirectX 11.

mustique
05-24-2011, 07:55 PM
This app was previously requiring an ati card, firepro was recommended actually. :curious:

eworc
05-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Am I missing something here? Is this a trial or are they giving away the software for free, which normally was costing between $999 - $2999?

squidinc
05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Am I missing something here? Is this a trial or are they giving away the software for free, which normally was costing between $999 - $2999?

"How could this be? How can StudioGPU offer such a valuable piece of software at no cost? Let us briefly explain how we can do it. We firmly believe that MachStudio Pro is a revolutionary piece of software that will completely transform the way that you work in 3D by saving you both time and money. Based on our confidence in this notion, we think we can create a viable business model from generating revenue from Support, Training and Consulting Services. Please help us change the 3D production world for the better. Take a spin on MachStudio Pro today. You won't be sorry."

edit: downloading now! before they sober up and change it back

edit 2: I think their site is getting hammered :D

eworc
05-25-2011, 01:21 AM
509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Urp.

WyattHarris
05-25-2011, 01:44 AM
509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Urp.
Denied, guess I'll try again later.

JanosHunyadi
05-25-2011, 04:13 AM
Is this program similar to those like Maya or am I in a completely different ballpark?

Anchang-Style
05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah it's a fully loaded 3d Modelling system. Looking cool too bad the Bandwith limit is succeded :( would love to give it a run on my 460 SLI. :(

fablefox
05-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah it's a fully loaded 3d Modelling system. Looking cool too bad the Bandwith limit is succeded :( would love to give it a run on my 460 SLI. :(

I don't have DX11 card so I can't test it yet. But fully loaded modelling system? You mean it's not just a renderer, where you have to use the exporter to export models and scenes from maya, max, etc like version 1.X ?

JanosHunyadi
05-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Yea I agree, I am still not clear on what exactly this program is. I can't fire up because I'm running an antiquated (sigh) DX10 card, but how different is this from Maya? Can you model/texture/and rig?

mirkoj
05-26-2011, 06:59 AM
And how about transferring finished animated scenes from your program of choice, Softimage for example, to MachPro for rendering?
Does it bake animations on characters and everything or?

hotknife
05-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Again downloaded and disappointed it's Dx11 only, running a Quadro Fx 3800 so no go - would love to try it and it will be a while before I buy another card.

R10k
05-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Very cool that's it's free! Kinda strange it doesn't support DX10. Ah well.

opentarget
05-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Yea I agree, I am still not clear on what exactly this program is. I can't fire up because I'm running an antiquated (sigh) DX10 card, but how different is this from Maya? Can you model/texture/and rig?

First thing on the websites FAQ:
What is MachStudio Pro? (http://www.studiogpu.com/machstudio/faq#) MachStudio Pro is stand-alone, visualization and rendering software that lets 3D artists create and manipulate lights, materials, and HDR cameras in a real-time, non-linear workflow environment to achieve film quality results. It was the brainchild of a group of digital artists and engineers who saw an opportunity for streamlining the 3D production process by creating a workspace where artists could power through the creative process with less limitations on time and resources. The result is a powerful application that harnesses the power of the GPU to provide resolution independent, non-linear, real-time feedback on your desktop.

Its not a modeling or rigging or whatever application, its a standalone rendering solution that uses the GPU instead of the CPU.

On the website it has exporting scripts that will allow you to send files from Softimage max or maya and so on to Machstudio pro to set up your shading and lighting for rendering. so its very different to Maya in that its a rendering solution.

JanosHunyadi
05-26-2011, 04:13 PM
First thing on the websites FAQ:
What is MachStudio Pro? (http://www.studiogpu.com/machstudio/faq#) MachStudio Pro is stand-alone, visualization and rendering software that lets 3D artists create and manipulate lights, materials, and HDR cameras in a real-time, non-linear workflow environment to achieve film quality results. It was the brainchild of a group of digital artists and engineers who saw an opportunity for streamlining the 3D production process by creating a workspace where artists could power through the creative process with less limitations on time and resources. The result is a powerful application that harnesses the power of the GPU to provide resolution independent, non-linear, real-time feedback on your desktop.

Its not a modeling or rigging or whatever application, its a standalone rendering solution that uses the GPU instead of the CPU.

On the website it has exporting scripts that will allow you to send files from Softimage max or maya and so on to Machstudio pro to set up your shading and lighting for rendering. so its very different to Maya in that its a rendering solution.

Ah! Thank you.

vancliff
05-27-2011, 02:34 PM
I bought the paid version 1.4 but it could only be used with the ATI firepro v8750 that came bundled with.
After that i couldnt believe they were giving version 2.0 for free so i decided to test it with my new GTX 460SE 1gb DDR5 directx11 card. It works perfectly, including hardware tessellation, realtime displacement mapping (you dont have to wait until render finish to see displacement) you can interact with the values in realtime, AO is in real time too, is not baked. You can change shaders and textures in realtime and see the result instantly.
Animations from maya, max, xsi is by vertex baking but the only drawback is that doesnt support fluids, dynamics or particle animation directly into the gpu renderer, instead you switch to renderman or mentalray and then you can render at once or by passes. The passes can be rendered in different format one of them EXR. All the cameras and renders are in HDR so you can get great quality. Once you try it seeing everything working almost in realtime it gets difficult to go back and render the normal way.

mirkoj
05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
sounds good so far, just like something I could use for my next thing...
just one more detail.
But I guess that is self explained once you got your images rendered out... it is standard process to add fur/hair and similar rendered in your other renderer of choice, righ?

vancliff
05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes but only if you have renderman or mental ray standalone installed and invoked from machstudio.

Aritz
05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Is scene size limited by GPU VRAM like Octane render and similars?

ShaderOp
05-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Maybe it's a case of sour grapes on my part because I don't have a DX11-capable video card, but everything in their demo reel looks a bit too CG-ish to me. Don't get me wrong, it's very generous of them to offer it for free, and the more cartoony renders they have in there look gorgeous. But photo-realistic it ain't.

I'm still going to save up for a FirePro v8800 anyways :)

TylerAZambori
05-27-2011, 11:16 PM
I bought the paid version 1.4 but it could only be used with the ATI firepro v8750 that came bundled with.
After that i couldnt believe they were giving version 2.0 for free so i decided to test it with my new GTX 460SE 1gb DDR5 directx11 card. It works perfectly, including hardware tessellation, realtime displacement mapping (you dont have to wait until render finish to see displacement) you can interact with the values in realtime, AO is in real time too, is not baked. You can change shaders and textures in realtime and see the result instantly.
Animations from maya, max, xsi is by vertex baking but the only drawback is that doesnt support fluids, dynamics or particle animation directly into the gpu renderer, instead you switch to renderman or mentalray and then you can render at once or by passes. The passes can be rendered in different format one of them EXR. All the cameras and renders are in HDR so you can get great quality. Once you try it seeing everything working almost in realtime it gets difficult to go back and render the normal way.

No particles or dynamics? What about this?

http://www.studiogpu.com/showcase/wwii_suspense_thriller/

@shaderop:

too cartoony? Even the archviz scenes?
What about this:

http://www.studiogpu.com/showcase/modern_exterior/

philnolan3d
05-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Downloaded it an opened it up fine. Unfortunately there's no way for me to load any of my models / scenes in.

fablefox
05-29-2011, 01:33 AM
i haven't tried ver 2.0 yet, but AFAIK, if you see any particles in any 1.x videos, it was render passes, and rendered in other packages.

i once read an article about on of the movies made with it, and particles, and fur, were rendered with other packages.

http://www.studiogpu.com/showcase/cinderella_the_gal_from_out_west/

the smoke was rendered in maya, feather and fur mental ray.

don't know about 2.0 though.

phexitol
05-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Downloaded it an opened it up fine. Unfortunately there's no way for me to load any of my models / scenes in.

There are several exporters in the "StudioGPU\MachStudio Pro\Exporters\Exporters" directory.

eikonoklastes
05-29-2011, 05:31 AM
Played with it for some time and I must say it's very nice.

The exporter from Maya worked very well and was very quick to export a basic scene of about 1 million polygons, which then opened up very smoothly in the main app.

My scene even had large amounts of booleaned geometry, which it handled perfectly.

You need to scale up the Maya model because navigation is a nightmare (super-sensitive) if you don't.

There are a few bugs and it seems a bit crash happy, and I haven't quite figured out how to get clean anti-aliasing, but on the whole it appears another good solid stride towards the Holy Grail.

philnolan3d
05-29-2011, 11:13 AM
There are several exporters in the "StudioGPU\MachStudio Pro\Exporters\Exporters" directory.

But none of them are for LightWave.

nildoe
05-29-2011, 12:30 PM
MSP is a really nice of soft, its too bad is taking theroute they decided, i think that development will basically stop.

I got a license in 2009, i was about to buy 10 pcs for a renderfarm, and i didnt, because i bought a license of msp, it was the best investment i did, render times are great... My workflow is, Animation in max ( too bad theres no exporter for max 2012), then render charwcter animation in msp, really fast...i love it. Especially being a one man studio.

Nildo

eikonoklastes
05-29-2011, 12:39 PM
But none of them are for LightWave.
Try exporting an FBX from LightWave. That's what I did first time around with Maya and it worked. It was quite slow though, exporting and importing a million faces, which is why I looked around for the official exporter.

philnolan3d
05-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Oh I thought of that but I can't see where it would load .FBX from, I only see .MAB, .X and .hair. Of course it would probably help if I read some instructions.

em3
05-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Downloading now, thank you! I haven't read too much but I am hoping it imports all kids of CAD geometry. Also, I hope your business model works out!!

eikonoklastes
05-29-2011, 04:36 PM
@philnolan3d: Yeah, it's a strange one. I don't know if this is the official route, but I used the Create > Load Objects and then switched the filter to All Files. That worked for me.

philnolan3d
05-29-2011, 04:55 PM
OK thanks.

vancliff
06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
TylerAZambori, dynamics and fluids are only supported if they are baked, But not particles. Where you see particles was done in post.

eikonoklastes, Make sure that you are using the AA settings at render time. An example of this is capture samples at 4, Jitter sampling toggled on, filter width to 1 or 2, and filter type to mitchell. If you still get jaggies with these settings you can always continue to drive up the capture samples all the way to 8.

If any of you have any question on msp i can give you some hints.

msp support fbx but not animation, for that you have to export everything from your 3d app using the plugins which you can download from their website. Maya 2012 is not yet supported.

em3
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
can I import cad geometry (.dwg, .dgn)?

philnolan3d
06-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Not directly as far as I can tell, unless they have a converter.

em3
06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Not directly as far as I can tell, unless they have a converter.

thanks for the reply. What would be the workflow for getting a .dwg in? 3ds max > fbx ?

philnolan3d
06-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Probably, I don't use autodesk stuff. Actually Studio GPU sounded like too much effort to even get started so I just uninstalled it.

venkataramana1987
06-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi guys, I use only photoshop for digital and matteapaintg,can mach studio pro use full fro this work any how?actually while with panoramic work I am facing hard problems with photoshop thats why I am asking.

hope some body will answer something.
bye,
venkat

mhdmhd
06-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Is this comparable to quicksilver in max or furyball in maya but what about cryengine 3 which is more than a renderer ?

Could it be considered a way of rendering in renderman for max users?

How are heavy scenes in it with large textures say for architecture vis, 2GB are enough?

Hope they will integrate a hair system and support particles in the future.

HypeTsu
06-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Is this comparable to quicksilver in max or furyball in maya but what about cryengine 3 which is more than a renderer ?

Could it be considered a way of rendering in renderman for max users?

How are heavy scenes in it with large textures say for architecture vis, 2GB are enough?

Hope they will integrate a hair system and support particles in the future.

1. No. It's not. MachStudio go far deeper then quicksilver or furryball. It's also much more then a game engine. It's a multipass GPU rendering and compositing system, capable of operating as a front end for Renderman and Mental-Ray. The download also contains a MetaSL node based shader editor which compiles shaders capable of running both on the GPU and the CPU. Animation can be edited (through editing the animation channel imported). You can even import your rig and manipulate the joints through keyframing (though best for small corrections). Further, live video can be fed into your viewport, while you set up your CG shot in realtime!

Personally I think MachStudio is a production tool which rewords commitment. It's best for those who like to prod and experiment, and are interested in all sorts of details and creative freedom, who enjoy expression and mannerism more then conformity and realism.

That is not to say it cannot be used for realistic rendering. (most MachStudio images on the web are of older versions). In a full GPU CPU setup with Mental-Ray or Renderman, it can deliver all the quality these tools can achieve and speed up the process by offloading some of the passes to the GPU.

We are yet to see what's cooking out there...

2. Yes. If you have Renderman standalone, you can use MachStudio as your front end.

3. MachStudio has no built in polygon limit. You are only limited by the memory on your card. Mind you, geometry takes very little space in memory, textures and shadow maps have far bigger footprint. One thing that can slow it down is large amount of objects (AKA fragments in MachStudio). So better few shapes with large amounts of polygons than a lot of shapes with small amount of polygons. For the record; typical Arc-Viz scenes - by virtue of typical architectural modelling - are heavy on object count...

4. Me too.

KerroPerro
06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi HypeTsu,

this is perhaps a really dumb question but can i export my shader set-up back into Mental Ray? (specifically into Softimage in my case)

So that way i can indeed experiment and set-up speedily in MSP but kick it back to MR for that final quality tweak.... :hmm:

HypeTsu
06-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Of course you can use your MSP shaders inside Mental-Rey, but note that in order to do that you need two things:
A. Build your shaders in the MSP shader editor (that is the only shader building tool that can compile to both engines)
B. Mental-Rey standalone (The Mental-Rey inside Maya, 3DS Max and XSI cannot be used with MSP.)

To check out this setup, ask for the 30 day trial of Mental-Rey from Mental Images (www.mentalimages.com/company/contact.html (http://www.mentalimages.com/company/contact.html) ) or buy the standalone version from Autodesk (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13566140

JanosHunyadi
08-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Is this compatible with Blender?

phexitol
08-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Is this compatible with Blender?
From the previous page:

InfoCentral
10-10-2011, 05:16 AM
And it appears they are officially out of business and the website shut down...

CGTalk Moderation
10-10-2011, 05:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.