PDA

View Full Version : Maya Eye Rigging - Aim constraint + Global Controller / Double Transforms

JaredTaylor
05-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I have a huge problem with my rig..

I have my eyes setup and everythings fine except that when I put the eye controller under a global scale/move/rotate, the eyes pop out of the head completely. Removing the aim constraint fixes this as well as moving the eye controller out of the global control, but I need the aim constraint and I need the eyes controller in the global control.

Also, despite being aim constrained, when I move the head, the eyes don't rotate to look at the eye controller.

Any ideas? Really appreciate any help. I haven't rigged in 8 months =/

tonytouch
05-24-2011, 06:28 AM
hi virtu,

i usually create one "MOD"_group , for each "MODULE" ( e.g. "MOD_eyes" )

witihn this group i usually seperate my rigs in different groups : CON ( control-curves ) , and "RIG" ( for all rigging-elements) . in "Rig" i have a "TRS"-group (translate/rotate/scale) and a "DT" ( donttouch , where i disable the "inheritsTransforms" , so once the entire "MOD"-group gets moved around , everything , within the DT-group stays at 0 0 0 ) .

once i have my setup done , i usually put everything into the "TRS" group , except from the CON-trol-curves . And if i have any "ribbon-setups or splineIK_curves" i move them into the "DT"-group .

that way i can create any NEW MODULES independently from each other , and one , ontop the next one . so i would e.g. parent MOD_eyes , MOD_ears , MOD_jaw , MOD_lips , MOD_face beneath the entire MOD_head . and this one will be parentConstraint to the headJoint .

-----------
since you right now , got some kind of problem / how i would do it : i would put the groups , that are aimConstrainted to the eye-targets , into the TRS-group , and once you move your head , they will still aim at the controls .

should be quite easy to do .... maybe you need to start allover , just try it "differently" , i guess , you just have a simple mistake in your aimConstraints ( i usually use aimConstraints , with "upObjectRotation"-option , that is the mosts secure method in my eyes ) . good Luck

Lumavore
05-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Could you expand on some of your hierarchy? It may help to troubleshoot the issue.

Are the eyes being deformed in any way (skinCluster, lattice, etc.), or is the transform of the eye's geoShape being directly constrained?

Is character's model/geo inheriting transforms from (ie. parented under) your Global Control?

Do the eyes pop out immediately when you place the control under your global control, or is it only when you start moving the global control around that the eyes pop out?

I also find it curious that your eyes don't rotate/aim when the head is rotated. Again, this may be clearer if you could share what's been aim constrained (joints or geo)?

JaredTaylor
05-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,

I got it solved, it was an issue with double transforms due to having the eyes in a skin cluster, I had to work around it and use parent constraints instead which didn't work the first time for some reason.

Thanks so much for the input, now I know I can't skin eyes!

Lumavore
05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
You can definitely skin eyes; we do it on a regular basis.

The trouble is when you deform geo (via skin or lattice, etc.) AND move the geo (transform/nulls) as well. If you're going to skin your eyes, make sure the geo doesn't inherit transforms.

Glad to hear you got it figured out :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.