PDA

View Full Version : Why to make groups of curve controllers in rig setups

Vinanimation
05-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi,

I am new in MAYA Rigging. I have seen that many people make groups of all the curves which they use as controllers. I don't understand what is the exact advantage of that.... because, when i completed my rig setup without grouping all the curves, still it worked fine.

Can anybody resolve this ASAP?

Thanks

Regards,
Vin

MaxNorderfeldt
05-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Groups helps keeping the controllers clean, you can add constraints to the controlgroup and still animate the curve freely.

I hope that helps //Max

Dancel89
05-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Just to add :

It also helps keeping controller transform values zeroed-out .

Cheers :thumbsup:

Dan

nuternativ
05-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Yes, the rig will be fine, but it'll miss some function.

1.For connections: Any kind of connection, set driven keys, constraints and direct connects. Grouping each control curve for constraint, keep them separate in the heirachy, your rig can do space switching (to let the animator control that a control curve will follow another or stay still) which is quite a standard.
In some case when using direct connect, you'll need the pivot the those connected to be at the same place. Like when you connecting masterScale for a character, usually, most setup will scale from the origin, the master control curve lies at the origin, so, to scale properly, the pivot of the control group should be at the origin.

2.Zero out and maintain axis: Instead of creating a curve, snap it to the joint and freeze transform. Yes, you will get zero transform, but not the axis that perfectly align with the joint. As you freeze the transform the axis will pop to match its parent, maybe another control curve or the world.

see 'Gnomon - Character Rigging The Puppet Rig' this one is quite old, but still, very useful for beginners.

hope this helps, have a good day rigging.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2011, 02:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.