PDA

View Full Version : Exchange curve

Pancho
05-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Let's say I messed up a control object in my rig. For some reason its look can't be restored. The object itself is a curve.

As the ICE tree needs this object, but I need a proper looking controler, is there a way to exchange the geometry while keeping the curve object alive?

I'm not familiar with SI modeling, so I would like to copy another curve and paste it's geometry into the messed up one, exchanging the broken curve for a good looking one.

Is that possible or would I need to exchange the whole curve object? Right now that might not be a major problem, but I imaging if there are a lot of constraints or other stuff attached to this object, it might be hell to exchange the whole thing.

Cheers and thanks for any advice!

Pancho
05-21-2011, 09:51 AM
In Modo for example I can create a new mesh (as a container) and then add polys, points, whatever. In case I want to exchange the polygons I simply delete the ones in the mesh (layer) and paste in the ones I like. So the Mesh remains, though its content changed. Is this the same for Softimage or do I need to exchange the whole thing?

CiaranM
05-21-2011, 10:04 PM
In Modo for example I can create a new mesh (as a container) and then add polys, points, whatever. In case I want to exchange the polygons I simply delete the ones in the mesh (layer) and paste in the ones I like. So the Mesh remains, though its content changed. Is this the same for Softimage or do I need to exchange the whole thing?

Sounds similar to using groups in Softimage.

ThE_JacO
05-22-2011, 01:14 AM
For curves, you're in luck.
Unlike other geos subcurves make sure that the container primitive (curvelist) involved in the scene graph and as a properties host, and the subcurves, are separate.
You can add a subcurve, and remove the "wrong" one. It's also the only geo that supports dynamicism in its geometry easily.

Some scripting might be required, but with get and set on the geometry primitive it's possible and relatively easy.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2011, 01:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.