PDA

View Full Version : Jazz's Demo Reel_Matte painting & VFX

jazzwong
05-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Hello! Everyone. This is my VFX Demo Reel for my school project. And I would like to share to the world. My background is a video game level artist, but I have displayed a great passion and dedication to creating high detailed texture and matte painting. Please give me some critiques.

http://www.vimeo.com/22993926

Software used:
Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Nuke X,Premiere, After Effects

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab279/jwong_02/Schism_web.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab279/jwong_02/AOcopy.jpg

ffourier
05-19-2011, 07:13 AM
This is a very nice demoreel for a student. Clean and short. Good job ! I agree with the comment from Joel Nellis on vimeo. You should let the last piece play a little longer as it's very quick now.

timothyc
05-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Hi Jasmine

I liked that.

When I saw your Schism breakdowns I had to go back to review the final sequence because I wondered why you didnt' use the gory eye - then i saw that you did, but it was so fast I missed it!

You've posted an AO still frame of a wide-shot of the street. Did you use this for projecting your painting, so you could do the track back? nice! However, overall, this is a very busy shot, even the hotspot of light on the actor fails to give your eye a focal point. I also think it looks more painterly than photo-ish. Perhaps this is intentional given the psychological subject matter. If more photrealism was the aim, I think you need to put more glare into the facades and car surfaces.

The country valley scene is good too, but I can see a perpective mismatch between the 2 houses - the original photo of the distant house was taken with the camera too close, and the vanishing points don't seem to line up with the neaqr house. Also, there are subtle mismatches in hard/soft lighting among all the elements. But in general I think you might get away with a quick enough cut in a TV spot.

Thanks fior sharing :)

TC

jazzwong
05-26-2011, 02:26 AM
I am sorry for the late reply. I just got a job in a new studio, and life start to get a little crazy.

I think the eye is a little too dark. Thatís why many ppl cannot see the eye in the first place. And it is actually my first time to do a face track.. So the eye may be look a little off as well. I know thatís not a good excuse. I hope I can do a better tracking in the futureJ

For the last shot. Yes. I use Maya to do a projection. But I did a UV unwrap for all the cars. I purposely make my matte painting look more like a painting. Because I want to give the audience the idea thatís the character is totally insane. He lives in his own horror dream. But I totally agree of what you have said. I should bring in more photorealism.

For my matte painting. If I have the time. I will sure do a projection and make a 3D model of the house. It is way too close to the camera. I always find lighting is a tricking thing to do. I have a lot of respect for ppl who work on lighting in the CG industry.

Again I am really appreciated your reply. You give me a lot of suggest that really help me to become a better digital artist.

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2011, 02:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.