PDA

View Full Version : Clothing with rigged character

chimera15
05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
I have a rigged character I want to add some clothing which I made on top of, a pair of pants, that's made as a single object, so from what I'm seeing the cloth modifier doesn't seem to work since there are no open seams. What's the best way to make these pants fit and react to the character when he moves. Do I have to cut it apart or something?

I've looked all over the web but can't find any help with this. The search function doesn't seem to be working on the forum at the moment.

MaxNorderfeldt
05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
If your character is cartoonish/non-realistic you could look into the wrap deformer. It makes your cloth follow the character but it wont drag etc. It was a while since I used cloth but I dont think you can add it to your object if it have 2 layers. I think cloth as a attribute to simulate thickness.

I hope you have more fun with cloth then I've had. :P

chimera15
05-19-2011, 02:42 AM
From what I'm seeing on a model that has it done as an example they used a physique modifier on them. I've tried to put a skin modifier on my pants, but it doesn't hold to the skin of the character. If I put a physique on the pants it doesn't seem to do anything immediately.

I've got a suggestion to use the cloth modifer and set up some kind of grouping or something, but not sure exactly how to go about that.

MattRennie
05-19-2011, 10:10 AM
If you're adding a skin modifier / physique mod then you will need to add the bones to that just as you would if you were skinning your underlying geo. As mentioned above, you could try using a skin wrap then adding in your underlying rigged bodymesh. You could also layer on top of that a flex modifier

chimera15
05-20-2011, 02:52 AM
hmm, ok, I'll try a wrap modifer. I've tried physique and cloth and they're just not working, I can't figure them out. I actually deleted the physique on the example I had and added it back in, and it worked great on that model, so not sure what I'm doing wrong with the pants. The example the physique example I tried I only bonded a shoe to a bone though, and the body mesh was a physique as well, so maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I'll try skin wrap and see where that gets me. thanks again. Really frustrating. THis is like one of the last things I need to really know how to do.

chimera15
05-20-2011, 03:11 AM
Wow, found a tutorial on exactly what I'm looking to do. Just added it to my model, so hopefully it will work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWjcyH6tQOU

chimera15
05-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Alright! It worked basically. Some verts are out of place though, in the crotch. Is there a way to refine the weightings like with skin? I can't seem to find it. I tried to convert it to a skin, but it lost all the weightings...maybe if I add in the bones?

I tried to adjust it the best I can, but if I make the character sit, verts from the crotch get pulled forward unnaturally, but otherwise it looks ok. Need to figure out a way to push those parts back.

chimera15
05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
I figured it out. My pants had a lot of open edges that I didn't know about in the crotch that that was messing it up.

That was so easy, I would have never found that without your help. There are like 3 vids on youtube that mention it. Thanks so much, saved me a lot of frustration.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.