PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb with crits

gigatron
10-25-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey guys, I usually admire the artwork around here and crit because I'm too busy with school.. but when it comes to doing my own personal drawings and paintings.. I'm kind of weak on that :p Throughout high school I never did any colour work.. more or less.. now I'm in art fundementals at sheridan.. quite a nice course but it's still slow paced at many things and yet crowded with so much homework/projects.. none the less I finally settled down to try my hands at Painter with color.. I WANT TO AND MUST get better in any way possible so... here's some practice it's on my page called 'the opening'.. simply a practice image. I love cartoony look mixed with reality.. semirealism you could say :/ Perhaps I pushed the cartoony a bit too far :p Now.. I have two problems, first I'm not quite sure how to work with the many painter brushes how to achieve certain textured looks or how to really express myself well enough :/ How would I go about creating a mountain, or how would I go about creating grass (I used an oil brush and made streaks then later on burned here and there to try and give a sense of swaying grass.. sort of)... what about tree textures? I know the tree is swaying like it's going to fall haha.. I wanted to do a bonzai like large tree but ended up not doing it..For the tree and the rock I used pastels first to get the roughness and the pointilism like texture.. with missing specks of color and such.. hmm I'm not quite sure, are there any tips or ways of working you guys have when say creating a tree, creating a mountain, creating grass, a field.. I'm working on another similar little scene.. I like mountains, fields (grass or desert-like), I like trees, I like rocks heh.. I like water/lakes/oceans... I like clouds... soo.. I'm just trying to sort of put those together somehow heh..

Hmm, long rant :p Please help heh.. I can see and think, perhaps understand my own little mistakes.. yet I can't quite express myself on paper or well in this case monitor.. quite harder to put visual thoughts on paper then describe maybe.. I don't know haha.... I must practice but I need alot of guidance so please any little tips or advice will help :D Thanks!

http://gigatron.deviantart.com

jrwells
11-16-2003, 11:36 AM
I don't know how much this will help you, as I have just started with Painter 8 myself, but I have noticed that they have made every attempt possible to accuratly simulate true painting and drawing tools, and not just the look of the stroke. I am hoping that you plan to go beyond the art fundamentals class into some true studio art classes. It will help your abilities in Painter if you you learn how to manipulate the mediums in real life. If you are just looking for a head start, I would suggest picking up any type of book that focuses on the type of medium you want to learn, and translate it onto the screen. Don't try and learn all the brushes and tools at once, instead spend more time with just a few and get good with them, then begin experamenting.

Jinbrown
11-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi,

Some general tips about Painter's brushes:

Using texture and color variability may help you when painting mountains, trees, and other foliage.

Brush variants for which the Subcategory name includes the word "Grainy" interact with Paper texture. In the Brush Creator's General section, you can see what Subcategory the brush variant uses.

Dry media brush variants are among those that interact with Paper texture and, using them, you can add texture easily to parts of the image, wherever you want it. These are found, along with others, in the following brush categories: Chalk, Charcoal, Colored Pencils, Conte, Crayons, Oil Pastels, Pastels, Pencils, Sponges, Sumi-e (some), Tinting (some) , Digital Water Color (some), and Water Color (some).

In the Photo category, there's a variant named Add Grain that can be used to add texture based on the current Paper but without adding color.

Some of the Blending category's variants also add subtle texture as you blend colors.

Brushes can be made to "skip" over the Paper texture leaving parts of the painted Canvas untouched, for an interesting effect. This can be done by adjusting the Brush Creator's Well section Bleed and Dryout sliders and in the General section, the Grain slider (also found in the Property Bar).

It's often interesting to adjust Color Variability so brushstrokes vary in hue, saturation, or value (or all three). This is done in the Color Variability palette. If you keep the settings fairly low, you should get subtle changes in color.

Lots more to learn but I hope this helps a little.

Don't be afraid to experiment. It's a great way to learn and have fun at the same time.

Lunatique
11-17-2003, 02:40 AM
I strongly suggest that you head on over to the sijun forum and go through the entire speedpainting thread. Tons of incredible examples of how to achieve a desired look with speed and accuracy: http://forums.sijun.com/viewtopic.php?t=29807&start=6990

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.