PDA

View Full Version : eye blinking question ..

d0c
10-25-2003, 05:17 PM
hi guys i'm in the process of building a cartoon character.. heh as really big eyes .. (when i get home i'll post a image of it) .. my question is in order to make him blink whats the most effective method .. blendshapes or clusters .. or some other technique i dont know about .. he is supposed to be a very expressive charater .. so his eyes will play a big big part in that .. ..

any help would be appreciated .. th x..

division_7
11-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Hello,

I am also modelling a cartoon head and ran into the same problem. My eyes are not spherical which makes it hard to blink. I was thinking a transprent eyelid layer that used an avi to project the blink might work. A sprite I believe. Then you could animate it quite easily. I hope this made sense. Tell me how it goes.

Division_7

jbo
11-11-2003, 06:52 PM
I've never tried this, but what if you modeled the eye and lid, and created blend shapes as if it WAS spherical, then used a lattice(maya) to deform it.

Iysun
11-12-2003, 02:20 AM
hard to tell without seeing the mesh for sure, but ive always used shape animation, then creat a simple slider to open close the eyes, i use XSI not sure if this is so simple in other apps..

clusters and deforemrs help if your gonna be using alot of expressions with the eyes, happy sad ect... but for the blink id just go with shape

division_7
11-12-2003, 08:53 AM
I don't think so. sorry to rain on the parade but Shape animation can cause alot og geometry problems especially when the eyes are not sperical. If you made an exact copy of the eye mesh scaled it slightly then put an AVI blink on that mesh I think it would be the easiest. You would only need 3 frames for a regular blink. One, 3/4 covering the eye, Two, Full blink, Three, 1/3 blink. This is easily done in Photoshp and save geometry, complictions, and creates ease in animation. All you have to do is key the animation when you want it. Bump maps and displacement can give the 3D aspect of the actual eyelid. No modeling required.

Division_7

d0c
11-12-2003, 04:12 PM
hmmm .. division .. is there information on what your sugesting to be the better method for eye blinking ..

i can post my mesh when i go home ..

Iysun
11-13-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by division_7
I don't think so. sorry to rain on the parade but Shape animation can cause alot og geometry problems

Division_7

umm your not raining on my parade, i just merely stated the way that i do it:surprised

and how do you make your character look around without the eyes popping out of his head seeing as there not spehrical

and as for the way you do it it sounds quite complicated and im not sure exactly what you mean... for shape all i need to do is put slider to 0 when i want the blink, key, put slider to 1 when i want the eyes back open ...key, done

but can you explain what you mean a bit better?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.