PDA

View Full Version : Net Render multiple cam setup

iDigi
05-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi gang,

Having created a render-heavy project in R12 Studio with multiple cameras (which I need to output overlapping), with multi-passes and object buffers - all of which to be done via Net Render.

What would be the easiest way to approach it? Copy the project as many times as I have cameras to output and then only render out a manual frame range for each individual project/camera as needed? For that I would have to upload the texture folder (even it's the same) separately for each project (because of Net Render). Is there an easier way to do it?

Secondly: rendering out to TIFF if one client goes abruptly offline, the currently calculated frame is obviously gone. Is Net Render smart enough to recover that frame at a later stage automatically from the rest of the network?

Many thanks in advance. Cheers

Frank

Srek
05-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Netrender will automaticaly try to reassing images that haven't been successfully finished by a client.
Cheers
Björn

iDigi
05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Netrender will automaticaly try to reassing images that haven't been successfully finished by a client.
Cheers
Björn

That's good to know, thanks for clarifying. How would you go about to render such setup?

dann_stubbs
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
That's good to know, thanks for clarifying. How would you go about to render such setup?

depending on how big the tex folder is and how much time you have to watch/manage the renders there are a couple ways.

you can duplicate the folder and put one scene in each project folder (including a tex folder as well in there) this way you can queue up all the jobs in order and just leave and let them render. may not be an option if you have a enormous texture folder depending on the size of the NET Server hard drive. the pro is that all the renders are put in their own respective results folder so a bit more useful if organizing the shots and if needing to re-render just one job that had an error etc.

you can just keep two or three copies of a project folder and swap in the scene file you want to render - as one project finishes up you take the scene file out and put in the next and start it to render. this takes a bit more time and watching but if the tex folder are large and you don't want to duplicate it multiple times it works. you can also rename and take out the results of the renders at each swap point or just leave them all in for one huge master results folder (not my recommendation)

a newer way i've seen is users just put all the scene files in one project folder and use the new NET Server option to "SET MASTER" to the project file they wish to render. normally NET Server renders in alphabetical order so will use the first scene file it finds and that is it. so this lets you sort of manually over ride that choice and pick what you want. the con is all the files will all be in the one result folder - which could make for a huge result folder and then you have to sort and separate each shot etc (well depending on how you organize and composite i guess)

another way that is kind of a pain is you can use your c4d app to set a custom tex path and save that - then move the c4d preferences onto all the net render clients and they too now will have this "custom search path" to look for tex folders - so then you can just put one copy of the tex in that location and then run all the scene files in folders and not worry about the duplication of the tex folder for each. it could be made way easier if maxon would just add the option to set a custom tex path right in the Net Render client but they have not so this is supposed to be a way to get that option - note i have not done this so can't vouch that it does work as they state it does.

hope that helps give you some ideas on different ways to accomplish the same thing,

dann

Srek
05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
If you have direct file access to the net server you can copy the textures manualy between projects or do a direct save projec tin the servers jobs/user directory. The way Net server stores jobs isn't realy complex.
Cheers
Björn

iDigi
05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Many thanks to both of you!

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2011, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.