PDA

View Full Version : Tin Tin Trailer

BigErn
05-17-2011, 09:03 AM
First trailer for the upcoming TinTin movie.. Looks pretty good if you ask me! The eyes seem good, so cant wait to see more!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/theadventuresoftintin/

Ballo
05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
good, good. although I miss some lip sync.

ftaswin
05-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm Excited!!!

I read the comic hundred times when I was young. The Unicorn one is the best one to be a movie.

TheRazorsEdge
05-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks a lot for the link, but....
Jeez, I'm not even gonna comment about this other than that I wont watch it. That trailer was hard enough for me to digest. Back to the comic books for me. ;)

Cheers!

ngrava
05-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks a lot for the link, but....
Jeez, I'm not even gonna comment about this other than that I wont watch it. That trailer was hard enough for me to digest. Back to the comic books for me. ;)

Cheers!

QFA

Not as fan of the motion captured, uncanny valley looking CG at all. This could have been so much better had they just make it more stylized. Oh well. Not like I was expecting it to be good at all anyway.

rasmusW
05-17-2011, 09:44 AM
i'm very exited to see this, though i'm not sure what to think of it.
i really hope it doesn't lack the same "facial expression constraints" that previous movies in similare genre has done.

-r

Mic_Ma
05-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Hmm. Hmmmmmm.

I really like the environments. I hope it isn't drowning in effects...

Airflow
05-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Sofar it looks ok to me.

Fahrija
05-17-2011, 10:26 AM
looks very good and the atmosphere of the comic is still alive - I just hope the facial animations don´t look like in polar express otherwise all the promising things I see now are screwed.

tintanman
05-17-2011, 11:55 AM
The last shot of tintin didnt give me any hope, it was very sterile, it may not fall as hard as the likes of polar express or mars needs mums as long as they use good facial motion capture such as the LA Noire game, but still if your going for realism then your more than likely to be distracted by anything that questions that.

Laa-Yosh
05-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not worried about the animation at all, it's Weta and they've already surpassed expectations with Avatar. I imagine that if they could make blue people work for the audience, then this shouldn't be too much for them either.

Tintanman, LA Noir's tech isn't mocap or even performance capture; it is basically a 3D record and playback system. They basically have a new color and normal map for each and every frame of the conversations, per character. Notice how the eye lines are static, just as the reflections - it's all recorded and can't be adjusted.
Then there's the other problem that you can only do an exact reproduction of the actor's head, so you have to do proper hair, make-up and such for all recording sessions; and that you can't use the performance to drive a different looking CG character. And also, this means that you can't capture body and facial performance at the same time, another significant drawback of the tech for most VFX production. It's perfect for digital doubles, though.

JoshBowman
05-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Since WETA's doing it I'm optimistic. Since they're not using the same facial capture stuff as Image Metrics used then it's off to a good start, that IM software always made the faces look horribly robotic, I remember seeing a side by side comparison they showed of the actor delivering the lines alongside the virtual actor and going on about how lifelike it was and it was so noticeably missing so much fluidity in the virtual character that the differences stood out easily.

While we don't see a lot of face stuff, at least the characters look slightly better designed....even if some of them don't feel like they fit together in the same world. Why they couldn't have just done this live action is beyond my powers of understanding. It looks so incredibly achievable to do live action and would have immediately gotten past the hurdle of audiences accepting these characters as believable.

A mate at work made a good point, if this is a success then he'd rather see them do the rest live action and do them as an annual Christmas thing like Harry Potter, there are so many comics to draw from that they could keep it going for the next 20 years if people keep paying and the stories are so stand alone that they'd work even if they decide to can it after 4-5.

CosmicBear
05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm getting really excited about this! Read the comics when I was a kid over and over again.
I wonder if Snowy is going to have the slight drinking problem in the movie too...

... there are so many comics to draw from that they could keep it going for the next 20 years...

And how would Jamie Bell (Tintin) and Andy Serkis (Haddock) look in 20 years? I doubt they would still pass as the characters. That's probably where CG becomes the advantage. Whoever would play the characters in a movie a few years down the line, the character on screen would stay ageless and would look always the same - just like in the comics ;)

Laa-Yosh
05-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Since they're not using the same facial capture stuff as Image Metrics used then it's off to a good start, that IM software always made the faces look horribly robotic, I remember seeing a side by side comparison they showed of the actor delivering the lines alongside the virtual actor and going on about how lifelike it was and it was so noticeably missing so much fluidity in the virtual character that the differences stood out easily.

Was Image Metrics involved in any of the Zemeckis movies? Are you not mixing them up with Image Movers?

TheWraith
05-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Wow, I thought it looked fantastic. I'm really surprised that I seem to be the minority here.

CosmicBear
05-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Weta have definitely done their home work.

Pause the trailer when you see Thomson & Thompson peaking through the newspaper. The ads in the newspaper are in the shape of their moustaches :D

That's what I call attention to detail!

Can't wait to see the movie!

shadowpriest
05-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I also thought it looked fantastic. So you're not completely alone.

puch
05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Well... It seems Weta just joined Square, Sony and IMD in the “Zombie Makers Club”. Too bad... but in a sense it's good to see that it's just hard across the board.. no one really has the magic recipe.

Everything else looks gorgeous as usual.

fig
05-17-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm really curious to see this, I don't know much about the story but from the trailer it seems like it could've almost been shot as live action. Is there something in the comics or story that dictates a CG treatment?

Bullit
05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Some parts look good, but was disappointed by Tintin face. Tintin is supposed to be a sort of symbol for purity with a baby face.

Larry_g1s
05-17-2011, 07:41 PM
QFA

Not as fan of the motion captured, uncanny valley looking CG at all. This could have been so much better had they just make it more stylized. Oh well. Not like I was expecting it to be good at all anyway.I have to agree. I'm just not a fan of the ultra-realistic cartoon look. Those are just words that shouldn't go together. I say either go realistic, or stylized cartoon...in the middle can look a bit creepy.

That said, it still looks interesting and may end up checking this one out.

BigPixolin
05-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Hiding the facial animation makes me think zombies also.

CosmicBear
05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Hiding the facial animation makes me think zombies also.

Did you think Gollum had "zombie face" too? I really doubt that Spielberg/Jackson would allow for "zombie faces" to leave the house.

It's a teaser after all. Let's wait what the trailer will bring! :D

Laa-Yosh
05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Unbelievers... I suppose you've criticized the hell out of the first Avatar trailer as well.

fig
05-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Unbelievers... I suppose you've criticized the hell out of the first Avatar trailer as well.

I thought Avatar was amazing looking but those also weren't regular people. I think when you have standard human characters the uncanny valley reaction kicks in much more.

Shletten
05-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Thing is we don't even get to see a talking character in this teaser so it is a bit too soon to comment.

JoshBowman
05-18-2011, 08:39 AM
And how would Jamie Bell (Tintin) and Andy Serkis (Haddock) look in 20 years? I doubt they would still pass as the characters. That's probably where CG becomes the advantage. Whoever would play the characters in a movie a few years down the line, the character on screen would stay ageless and would look always the same - just like in the comics ;)

You make a very good point and one that I hadn't thought enough about, if that is indeed their decision for making it all CG then that seems like a reasonable one to me.

Was Image Metrics involved in any of the Zemeckis movies? Are you not mixing them up with Image Movers?

Right again....I really need to do my homework before sprouting uninformed opinions =_= thanks for clearing that up, I didn't ever realise I was looking at two different companies. Saying that I still can't watch any of Zemeckis's CG movies because of the uncanny valley factor.

BrettSinclair
05-18-2011, 09:12 AM
This looks great. I can't wait too see this. I love the look.

Nemoid
05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
just don't forget this is a trailer, not the final movie.
I don't think that WETA forgot facial expressions. They did a state of the art job with Avatar with expressions for more realistic characters, now we'll see something similar applied to stylized ones.
Expressions in stylized chars should be a bit exagerated compared to real humans or believable creatures, to avoid stiffness and a cold feeling so a problem could be in this particular point. You can't simply apply motion data as they are. You have to go beyond what's real to make all work well. But even in avatar expressions were fixed/enhanced. :)
So, i'd rather see the movie before judging it.

BigPixolin
05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Did you think Gollum had "zombie face" too? I really doubt that Spielberg/Jackson would allow for "zombie faces" to leave the house.

It's a teaser after all. Let's wait what the trailer will bring! :D

Never cared for Lord of the rings so I couldn't tell you.

No, I thought Avatar was amazing from day 1. I suppose you stood up for Polar Express before actually seeing it? See how generalizations are generally wrong?

fayezAlsalka
05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Looking Great

Rochr
05-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Honestly, i expected a movie with real actors and a serious amount of CG, not CG all through. Shame really. Being a Spielberg and all i was actually looking forward to the movie. Most likely pass this one now though.

Unbelievers... I suppose you've criticized the hell out of the first Avatar trailer as well.Avatar didn´t work at all for me. Even when watching that first trailer i had a feeling i wouldn´t like the movie. I wasn´t wrong... :)

Shenan
05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Hmm... this trailer gave me a little bit more hope than the earlier test stills did. I think the whole "movieness" of it all helps the overall results, but I'm still concerned about the realistic look of the characters increasing the possibility for an uncanny valley reaction. From what I saw here though, I will likely be going to see it in the theater, in 3D probably. I'm a big fan of Tintin, so it will be hard to stay away. :-)

EricM
05-19-2011, 09:07 AM
It had a bit of a Raiders of the Lost Ark feel to me... Which is great considering it's one of my favourite movies... and given they ruined the Indiana Jones franchise with the fourth one (IMHO), maybe Tintin could be the new epic-period-artefact hunt-action-comedy franchise to come... provided they avoid the creepiness of it all...

So far there's too little to jugde the uncanny side of it, but I'm pleasantly surprised by tintin's head design, and if someone can pull this off, it's certainly Weta.

ManuelM
05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm a huge Tintin fan since my childhood. (My parents never got me the books but our church's library had them. I went there as often as I could to read them over and over again, while my parents thought I'm such a good boy, going to church very regularly :-D )
I'll probably see this on opening day - even though I'm a bit underwhelmed by the trailer, but I'm confident that the actual movie will be great.

DDS
05-19-2011, 01:56 PM
to be fair, after looking at it a few times during the last week, I think it looks pretty bad.

Specially the characters, and they aren't even speaking yet.

I'll watch it though, just because of some hope of old school Tin Tin storyline and music.!!

Fruelund
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm sure it will look pretty good if not great. These people proved they knew what they are doing with Avatar.

That said, this is not Tintin by a long shot. I do not recognize Hergé in any of it. And when it comes to Tintin, the art is everything. The atmosphere is everything. But here they just use the characters and place them in a completely different environment from the original stories. It looks more like Tintin meets Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't really see a point in making a movie out of a comic book as stylized and specific as Tintin, and then not staying true to the art. It's like doing a Donald Duck movie, using real naturalistic CGI ducks.

TheRazorsEdge
05-23-2011, 10:57 AM
That said, this is not Tintin by a long shot. I do not recognize Hergé in any of it. And when it comes to Tintin, the art is everything. The atmosphere is everything. But here they just use the characters and place them in a completely different environment from the original stories. It looks more like Tintin meets Pirates of the Caribbean. I don't really see a point in making a movie out of a comic book as stylized and specific as Tintin, and then not staying true to the art. It's like doing a Donald Duck movie, using real naturalistic CGI ducks.

So true!

Cheers!

VM
05-26-2011, 08:24 AM
It's like doing a Donald Duck movie, using real naturalistic CGI ducks.

True, or Mickey Mouse as:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PHX75DJZ0BE/TD1eSB8ui4I/AAAAAAAAADw/a5NG2uTe8JA/s1600/mickey-mouse.jpg
But the artwork is still great, even if very different from Herge. I only don't like Tintin's face... but that's normal, I think no Tintin fan will :D You can't really interpret that face into naturalistic CG and not have it look... well... at least very different, and not Tintin-like.

BigErn
07-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Trailer 2.. with French subs, but until the hi-res its looking good here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3j8gKRUTg

Looks really great!

Bullit
07-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Tintin still doesn't convinces me.

ManuelM
07-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Awesome trailer!
Will definitely get tickets for the day that it comes out.

ice-boy
09-16-2011, 11:45 AM
thank god :bowdown:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3141/tintinmoviepicturesfirs.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/tintinmoviepicturesfirs.jpg/)
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6263/p023022.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/p023022.jpg/)

Shletten
09-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Wow, nice find Ice Boy! I hadn't noticed that shot had been so radically improved!

MikeNash
09-20-2011, 02:57 AM
That's crazy! goes to show how much work their putting into every shot and their not willing to settle for 2nd best.
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3141/tintinmoviepicturesfirs.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/tintinmoviepicturesfirs.jpg/)
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6263/p023022.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/713/p023022.jpg/)

DuttyFoot
09-20-2011, 03:55 AM
it looks stunning. i'm really looking forward to seeing it. awesome job from the folks at weta

EricM
09-20-2011, 09:05 AM
I can see the difference, but which is the newest shot ?

I'm asking because I prefer the top one (the more contrasty one). Bottom one has something weird about the eyes (smaller and clear pupils) and the more subtle lighting makes it less dramatic to me, but it might just as well be the final one...

Shletten
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
I can see the difference, but which is the newest shot ?

I'm asking because I prefer the top one (the more contrasty one). Bottom one has something weird about the eyes (smaller and clear pupils) and the more subtle lighting makes it less dramatic to me, but it might just as well be the final one...
The lower one is the newest. I don't agree with you. All the differences are a huge improvement in my opinion. The eyes were just plain scary in the first version, the rendering was too artificial (plastic shading, bizarre contrast), the new lighting is more real.

EricM
09-20-2011, 03:43 PM
That's what I was suspecting... though I still prefer the top one (save for the hair which looks better in the lower one, and the lense flare).

Haddock looks like a fierce sailor in the top one, he looks like a lost bum in the lower one. The general lighting is softer (+ ambiant and more SSS ?) but his "realistic" eyes creep me out in that shot. Maybe the uncanny effect in action...

Also, to me Haddock has jet black hair, not brownish.

Might be more realistic but for the stylized look of the characters it's detrimental to the final piece my eye. IMHO. Then again, it may just be that shot, and I won't question Spielberg, Jackson and Weta altogether.

ice-boy
10-11-2011, 05:01 PM
5 clips + making of
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/watch_5_fantastic_clips_from_the_adventures_of_tintin/#

realtime video looks more detailed

Shletten
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
5 clips + making of
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/watch_5_fantastic_clips_from_the_adventures_of_tintin/#

realtime video looks more detailed
Thanks a lot. I'm glad to finally be able to watch clips and see the facial animation.

Edit: It looks great in HD! The rendering is very real at times. Apart from that, I'm confident it's going to be a fun movie. Some reviews have begun to air in France and Belgium and they're highly positive.

CHRiTTeR
10-12-2011, 09:28 PM
animation/acting is looking great imho, exactly how i imagine it when reading the comics.

Mahlon
10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
The atmosphere is very good, indeed. And it seems like the acting is very well done. That's very close to how I pictured Captain Haddock.

Mahlon

eworc
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
The CG is good but that is the only positive thing I could say about the movie. The opening credits would be more effective than a sleeping pill. I would have left five minutes into it if I had not brought my children to see it. One of the worst movies I have ever watched. Steven Spielberg And Peter Jackson should be ashamed to have their names on it.

VM
01-02-2012, 05:11 PM
The CG is good but that is the only positive thing I could say about the movie. The opening credits would be more effective than a sleeping pill. I would have left five minutes into it if I had not brought my children to see it. One of the worst movies I have ever watched. Steven Spielberg And Peter Jackson should be ashamed to have their names on it.

I think the opening credits are brilliant :]

EricM
01-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I liked the movie, but I would agree that the start was clearly the weak point of the show.

The opening music is totally uninspiring (not a single catchy part that I could remember) and the credits are quite long and boring. The basic idea was good, but not the execution IMHO. The unofficial one here (http://vimeo.com/30402976) is much better in that respect (including the music...).

As for the movie, I only started to enjoy it when they get on the boat. The whole introduction of the characters and the plot felt rushed or recut too many times.

I don't know if they'll do a sequel (on the moon ?), but with haddock on board from the get go, it should be much better.

eworc
01-02-2012, 07:33 PM
"The unofficial one here (http://vimeo.com/30402976) is much better in that respect (including the music...)."

Agreed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2012, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.