PDA

View Full Version : How can I Convert PFlow to Mesh AND retain UVs and ID?

Morne
05-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi all

So this is driving me NUTS!
I have a huge area to populate with some objects that repeats millions of times. I DON'T HAVE ForesatPro or MultiScatter or any of those so I have to resort to making a minimal object with pflow, then use this object and scatter it millions of times with ForestLITE.

Problem is, try as I may, I cannot convert the Pflow to a MESH while retaining the UVs.

I tried "Mesher" compound object, which gives me a perfect mesh, but it looses all UVs and materials.

I tried the "Snapshot" tool, but this doesnt seem to do anything. I'm on Max 2011 and found this in the Max Help file: "Can I useSnapshot or dynamics with Particle Flow?
No. TheSnapshot tool is not currently compatible with Particle Flow, nor is reactor or the legacy dynamics system."

So then, how the bleep do I convert the thing? I made a small square hedge of 400mmX400mm by 500mm high. It has about 10 000 leaves. This hedge needs to be populated couple million times over an area of about 300METER X 300METER.

So far I can't find any way of doing it by converting the Pflow hedge.

I'm going to attempt to just make one HUGE HUMONGOUS Pflow Hedge over the WHOLE area and see if my poor little XP machine with only 6GB will die a quick and painful death.

floopyb
05-17-2011, 08:04 AM
You could try the type of workflow i mention here:
http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1898

Also if you have a few different objects you need to scatter you can use the random-selector script to get a random selection and do the Instance replace a few times on different selections

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/random-selector

Morne
05-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks

My hedge is made up with particles that have 3 leaves parented to a 4th. I scatter my leaves in PFlow with the "include Children" option.

Will the script still work if I use childrend and parent mesh reference to make my particles?

floopyb
05-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I guess you would need to bake it down to a vrayProxy or a single mesh with a point cache or an animated point mesh. The Pflow Baker i mention can do this, so you might have to do that before you try scattering it.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2011, 09:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.