PDA

View Full Version : How can i made a realistic crome materiale/texture?

epo_blackdevil
06-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Im working with this car a Alfa Romeo Monza 2300
http://www.queze.dk/temp/alfaromeo/alfa.jpg

i cant make a realistic crome materiale/texture!

How do i do that?

Im from Denmark so do not made fun of my bad english please!

JayHFD
06-06-2002, 03:25 AM
Usually, if you want a shiny, clean/new chrome surface, youre not going to use any bitmaps, youll be just using reflection settings and the like in your 3d program (whatever that is) If your car goes in a scene with a sky/ground, the chrome should look nicer, as it will reflect the sky and ground. If you dont put it in a scene, you may want to use a spherical reflection map, using a map with a sky and ground in it.

If you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask!

Jay

epo_blackdevil
06-06-2002, 05:59 PM
I know that with the raytrace reflecktion, but i have som great trouble with making the metal look!

Kim Oravecz
06-06-2002, 11:05 PM
I think what your chrome is lacking is that nothing is really being reflected in it. When you think about it, a chrome surface is really just a mirror. Darn near 100% reflectivity. And if you are not reflecting anything than it will not look like chrome.

Your chrome definitely needs to be reflecting the red coloring off of your car. Also, when you look at chrome - the colors are very high contrast. You see lots of deep blacks and lots of "hot" whites. Your chrome appears to be a fairly dull gray color with some white areas.

Try with making the surface black and crank the reflectivity up all the way. And if you do not have any surroundings to reflect then you will need to apply a reflection map that can imitate reflection like JayHFD suggested.

Tweak, tweak, tweak - render. Tweak, tweak, tweak - render. :wip:

BTW - nice model!

:)

Later!

. . . Kim

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.