PDA

View Full Version : how to set renderman on Houdini 11

NDoubleV
05-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Houdini11 was included RenderMan?
where can i got some tutorials for begin RenderMan?

Alonzo
05-16-2011, 08:13 AM
this should help you: Rendering with RenderMan - SideFX Help (http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/rendering/renderingwithrenderman)

NDoubleV
05-16-2011, 08:26 AM
this should help you: Rendering with RenderMan - SideFX Help (http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/rendering/renderingwithrenderman)
I read it sometime before, i tried follow it but not success! I'm a new menber of houdini! manything i dont know.

you can answer me:
- where can i setting enviroment to put code on :HOUDINI_DEFAULT_RIB_RENDERER
do i just creat "Render->Creat Render Node -> RenderMan " is enough for it.

Alonzo
05-16-2011, 08:36 AM
are you using the Apprentice (also HD) Version?

then you should also know that 3rd party Rendering is not possible -> Apprentice Overview (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=589&Itemid=221)

dantea
05-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Houdini11 was included RenderMan?

renderman is not included, you need to buy it separately. make sure you have the command line version also. and of course, you also need a commercial version of houdini.

rjw
05-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I'll say this. If you know how to code Mantra shaders at an intermediate level, then porting to writing Renderman shaders is a snap. In other words, if you can write in-depth Mantra shaders, then I am sure those skills will transfer to Renderman in a snap. The corolary is also true where you can take Renderman books and apply those techniques to vex shader writing.

Most every facility that uses Renderman knows of Houdini and Mantra and if you put on your resume and can demonstrate that you can write involved Mantra shaders in Houdini, there will be interest. Interest because to get to that level, you will have read most of the Renderman books as it is readily applicable to Mantra shader writing in vex.

You can write and render with Mantra shaders in Apprentice and Apprentice HD which means you don't need to purchase Houdini Escape or Houdini Mater.

You can take most renderman shaders written in sl and refactor it in to Houdini's vex language. Both languages are remarkably similar. Some of those differences are illustrated in the prman.h vex header file.
If you look in to the $HFS/houdini/vex/include directory in the Houdini install, you will find a file called prman.h.
You "can" write your shaders in prman sl code with a .vfl extension and include the prman.h file at the top of the shader but this only goes so far.

Houdini also has a VOP shader builder environment for Renderman. I don't know if this available to Apprentice users though.

neuromancer1978
05-20-2011, 12:55 AM
What rjw has said is totally correct, Mantra and Renderman shaders are very similar, in fact I would go as far to say that Mantra is based off of the same idea as Renderman, though Mantra of course is bundled with Houdini and Pixar's Renderman is not. So you have two options if you are using the Apprentice version of Houdini.

1. Learn Houdini and Mantra as much as possible.
2. Learn Houdini, Mantra and Renderman shaders as much as possible.

Yes, you can learn Renderman via other open source renderers like Aqsis and Pixie, or even the single free license of 3Delight, this way you can learn Renderman from the ground up without having to fork over a couple grand. The only problem with open source Renderman and Houdini Apprentice is that as with PRMan, you can only use Mantra.

Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2011, 12:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.