PDA

View Full Version : Temporary changes in Gallery Acceptance

leigh
05-15-2011, 02:05 PM
As all of you know, we've always operated a form of quality control over all images being submitted to the Showcase Galleries - this has been the case since we started up the galleries about eight years back. About six months ago, a decision was made to become stricter with regards to quality, resulting in more images being rejected due to technical and artistic weaknesses within them. Understandably, a few people haven't been too happy about this decision, so as an experiment (which actually started a few days ago), I've been accepting pretty much everything that gets submitted to the gallery, regardless of the quality of the image.

This gives you, our members, the chance to see everything that gets submitted to the gallery.

The only criteria that will result in work being rejected is stuff like having incomplete full names for the submitting artists, non-existent descriptions, and gallery flooding of multiple simultaneous submissions - in other words, more bureaucratic criteria as opposed to any criteria regarding the images themselves.

We're interested in hearing everyone's feelings about this system, so please feel free to share your thoughts over the next week or so that we'll be running this experiment.

Anyone who has had work rejected recently is free to resubmit their work at this point.

InTerceptoV
05-15-2011, 06:42 PM
leigh, but what's the point of accepting everything if you didn't introduce at least 1-2 small rows (front page) where you will be promoting best works from gallery? Either you do it right or you don't do it at all...

anto-toni
05-15-2011, 09:11 PM
I agree with InTerceptoV and I think that going to extremes is going to do more damage to already cracked reputation of cgshowcase gallery.
I think the right thing is to make jury of 5 - 10 artists like they did on raph.com
JURY (http://www.raph.com/3dartists/artgallery/jury)

Swordlord
05-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?

P.S. I'm not sure that it's the good decision to put all works (good and bad) into one gallery. Probably it would be reasonable if you make two different sections. Or you can make a little more soft edge for accepted images than it was recently to reduce the amount of dissatisfied users.

leigh
05-15-2011, 09:23 PM
leigh, but what's the point of accepting everything if you didn't introduce at least 1-2 small rows (front page) where you will be promoting best works from gallery? Either you do it right or you don't do it at all...

We're currently discussing solutions for the front page.

leigh
05-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?

I'm currently validating the images in shifts to avoid too many going in simultaneously. I'm sorry that your image appeared on the second page, but honestly that happened pretty much every day before I changed to this system anyway.

Swordlord
05-15-2011, 10:37 PM
But what's the reason in this case to post the images into CGS Gallery if nobody won't see them?
I understand that you have a strong flow of images here but I think that it's not quite fair when some of authors are lost. Please don't think that I defend my work (although I'm disappointed a little...). I just want to help to make the CGS better.

Maybe it would be reasonable to make a few sections in the 3D Stills forum (scenes, characters, architecture etc.)? Then more users could hope that their art would be seen.

P.S. And probably the Anto-toni's idea about jury could be interesting...

PasKal
05-16-2011, 10:20 AM
For my part, accepting all the images, is not the best idea .
At the minimum, we have to accept finish work ( texture, lighting etc ... )
Perhaps, add a Exelence Gallery ( like 3D TOTAL ) could nice,
and a Award Gallery seleted in the Exelence one .

And have THE OLD SYSTEM VOTING !!

:bowdown:

keraj37
05-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Leigh, if I was also the reason of that silly experiment, sorry - I was thinking only about my work, that in my weak mind was good enough to be in the gallery - now CGTalk Gallery looks like crap

InTerceptoV
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
We're currently discussing solutions for the front page.

Sounds cool, but hurry up... because people will complain more than before since it's 50% done and it's not a true face of new system. I would rather wait a little bit more and do complete reform (including front page promotions) and see reaction from users.

BTW I think accepting everything doesn't make sense, some quality should be achieved. For example, teapots on white ground is way to simple to be in gallery and nobody will complain if that's not accepted.

But I won't interfere any more like last time, I just hope you will find a better solution for gallery. Good luck!

hbajramovic
05-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Sounds cool, but hurry up... because people will complain more than before since it's 50% done and it's not a true face of new system. I would rather wait a little bit more and do complete reform (including front page promotions) and see reaction from users.

BTW I think accepting everything doesn't make sense, some quality should be achieved. For example, teapots on white ground is way to simple to be in gallery and nobody will complain if that's not accepted.

But I won't interfere any more like last time, I just hope you will find a better solution for gallery. Good luck!

I totally agree with Toni ! I'm sure you guys will find a good solution for the gallery

Controller51
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Great.... Because of such experiments my image appeared only on the 2nd page... Goodbye all views and comments!... And what the sense of such submission?...

Yes , I have the same problem. My image started on the third nearly fourth page. Thats quite annoying because I think its good quality and worth to see...

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g51/352851/352851_1305379224_large.jpg

I think itīs not the best solution to accept all images. On the other hand beginners who really want to improve their skills should have the opportunity to post their work to a greater community... I think the solutution is something in between. Accept more beginner images but deny the crap...

Cheers Daniel

elmata
05-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Please come back to the latest rules of submission!! there is too much freakin unfinished, bad and ugly work now....
It's really counterproductive imo... Nobody wants to comment such those bad work! And i'm sure that many users do not want to loose their time to find 5% of good work against 95% of bad draft among a huge number of new pics for now...
Thanks!!! :rolleyes:

Rivenis
05-22-2011, 03:30 AM
I think this is bad news. I had just gotten used to idea that the finished gallery was a guaranteed visual feast of quality images. Getting my work accepted felt like an achievement. Now with this free for all i'm not seeing the point. I'm very hesitant about posting any new images now since they will very likely become lost in the shuffle. There definitely needs to be standards for the finished gallery or else it loses its meaning. Don't let a bunch of butthurt artists who can't take rejection and are unable to objectively evaluate their work ruin the integrity of this site. :(

glmig
05-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I think this is bad news. I had just gotten used to idea that the finished gallery was a guaranteed visual feast of quality images. Getting my work accepted felt like an achievement. Now with this free for all i'm not seeing the point. I'm very hesitant about posting any new images now since they will very likely become lost in the shuffle. There definitely needs to be standards for the finished gallery or else it loses its meaning. Don't let a bunch of butthurt artists who can't take rejection and are unable to objectively evaluate their work ruin the integrity of this site. :(

I apologize if im butthurt when this (http://glmig.cgsociety.org/gallery/968134) is not accepted but this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=979726) is (i also apologize to the author of that image but... im butthurt :))

I also agree that there should be required a minimum quality for the 3dstills gallery but at least make coherent. I dont mind getting my images refused in the 3dstills forum as long i dont see unfinished work getting accepted there.

stevesideas
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Ive recently submitted an image to the gallery and it got denied. Can anyone please tell me what criteria http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g50/120750/120750_1305897195_large.jpg image isnt meeting. In my opinion this is lit, textured and has had post work done on it. I have addtional supporting imagery that show details of this model. Ive seen photos on walls and imagery in peoples houses that have similar compositions.

glmig
05-23-2011, 02:03 PM
same discution here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=979735&page=1&pp=15) but with a lot more replies.

Rivenis
05-23-2011, 03:50 PM
I apologize if im butthurt when this (http://glmig.cgsociety.org/gallery/968134) is not accepted but this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=979726) is (i also apologize to the author of that image but... im butthurt :))

I also agree that there should be required a minimum quality for the 3dstills gallery but at least make coherent. I dont mind getting my images refused in the 3dstills forum as long i dont see unfinished work getting accepted there.

I have to say i took a look at the two images and i can't disagree with you. Your image is alot stronger in my opinion (but i'm not much of an expert on 3D work so quote me at your own risk)
I've had the same thing happen to me where one of my images wasn't accepted then i see work that in my opinion is much weaker make it in. What you have to realise though is that whether we agree or not, the gallery selection is up to cgsociety. Its their right to choose whatever they want for the showcase gallery. i also recall Leigh directly addressing the instance with the disparity when it comes to quality of images by admitting that as a human she's capable of making mistakes. This i can accept.

I do think you have a case to be upset, but for every one guy who had a quality image rejected there are thirteen more raising a stink with horribly subpar images. Look at the forum its full of those kinds of complaints.

I'd just hate to see the gallery become a free for all where we have to hunt for quality images and all we have is a tiny 80x 80 thumbnail to look at to determine if we want to see the image or not. If they're lowering the bar then they need to bring back the ratings system at least.

stevesideas
05-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I realise Cgsociety have the last say I just think that there needs to be more consistency over the decisions and how the criteria is adhered to.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2011, 04:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.