PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon IK for Arms / Bendy Arms & Supertoon Tutorials

JaredTaylor
05-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I have the supertoon tutorials, I was told that somewhere in them there was a bendy arms setup, so I pulled them out again but can't find it. Anyone know which tutorial has it? Just went through body & face modelling/rigging but it wasn't there.

I can't find a single resource on the internet to help me learn this setup, and don't find the duncandonuts method to be sufficient.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers.

Boucha
05-16-2011, 03:55 AM
Once you get a grasp on ribbon setup, you can just postion and align the setup with bendy controllers constrained to the arm joints. the arm joints drive ribbon rigs and the bendy controllers will drive the cartoony deformation!

anyways you can always dig down underneath the hood to find out more! unhide everything from the asset file that you have (super toon rigs) and you will find a similar setup, open up the outliner and hypergraph and wallaaa in a little time you get the basic understanding ;)

JaredTaylor
05-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks so much!

I almost had it...

Well I did have it. It just wasn't nice at all.

I had one nurbs plane for the whole arm and it looked really bad when I moved it. So I assume I need a plane for shoulder, mid, elbow then, elbow, mid, wrist?

Another question, do I need a double jointed elbow for this setup? plane 1 to elbow 1, plane 2 from elbow 2.

But how do I get the nurbs plane to line up with the joints perfectly, the follicles are never in the right place and distorting the nurbs plane leads to a massive deformation headache.

No idea where to go from here, any advise is appreciated.

Cheers

nuternativ
05-17-2011, 04:36 AM
Do it my way, you'll need 2 ribbon setup.
One from the shoulder to the elbow, another from the elbow to the wrist.
Use point constraint to attatch each side of the ribbon to the joint. (1st ribbon base to the shoulder, 2nd ribbon tip to the wrist.)
For the mid point (the elbow), make new control curve(elbowRibbon_ctrl) right at the elbow joint and use it as the point constraint target for both 1st and 2nd ribbon. Also parentConstraint the group of elbowRibbon_ctrl to the elbow joint. When skinning, don't bind the elbow joint.

- To get nurbs plane to line up with joints perfectly? Try create nurbs curve between them, duplicate and repositon it, then loft them together.

hope this helps

JaredTaylor
05-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi.. thanks.

I am using two planes now, but still getting weird deformations, both when moving with IK and when moving the deformation controls to bend it. It's not averaging the center (between elbow and shoulder, and between elbow and wrist) properly and I don't know what to do to help that.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e3zic8.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/50msz4.jpg

nuternativ
05-18-2011, 03:15 AM
Don't know if I see the picture right but what does the plane skinned to?

I use 3 joint(I'll call it ctrlJnt) for skin weight for each plane, one at the top, mid and bottom. With the top aim constraint to the group at the bottom and the bottom aim constraint to the group at the top, the middle aim to the top(or maybe the bottom).

Each ctrlJnt group is parent to control curves. Adjust weight on the plane to get proper deformation before attaching the follicles.

rikkiknight
05-18-2011, 04:58 AM
Looks like your upperArm ribbon is picking up the orientation of the forearm?

like nuternativ said its not easy to see what you've done here
If you do setup the aiming as he suggests I would be tempted to add another option of aiming the ends to the middle, so the animator could switch between the two?
By aiming to the mid it should help you achieve a nice curve if you start pulling the center of your limb out

JaredTaylor
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi guys,

I've done everything you guys have said but it still gets nowhere close to working... =(

Upperarm ribbon was not picking up forearm.

Could anyone please be so kind as to take a look at my file? Here is a link... http://localhostr.com/file/IF6rqPC/charlie_001.mb.zip

Also... would it be too much to ask for someone to make a tutorial on youtube or something of how to do this setup in it's basic form?

I only ask because absolutely nothing exists on the internet for ribbon ik arms... =/

Really appreciate the help :)

Deje3D
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I saw this thread a bit late, but it might be how you painted the weights.

I did a tutorial on this a while ago. You can find it here:

http://poly-face.com/tutorials.php?tag=Rigging

Under 3D Character Rigging - The Leg and then from part 3, where I call it rubberhose. But it is the same.

Cheers

/Dennis

nuternativ
05-19-2011, 03:21 AM
here you go...

http://www.mediafire.com/?37q8rhbgscj48ar

I dint bind it to your char yet. It should be looking good with a little effort on the weight.

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2011, 03:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.