PDA

View Full Version : Clusters + property glow

luisRiera
05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Hi, Im making a little UFO, and im selecting with clusters some parts of it to change his color, and also I want to glow those parts, but when I select my clusters, group them, select the group, and then apply a property glow... nothing happens. Now, the property glow on the clusters is visible in the explorer view, so I asume it should be working. Am I doing something wrong?

McNistor
05-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Glow doesn't work for clusters AFAIK.
Detach the cluster as a separate object and apply the glow prop on the new created object you want to be glowing.

luisRiera
05-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Oh... thank you.

It would be nice if in future versions of softimage, cluster selection work with glow :p

PiotrekM
05-20-2011, 11:01 PM
glow in 3d? do it in comp, like all of us.

oktawu
05-21-2011, 03:09 PM
i will never understand the idea of rendering glow inside the 3d application.
even if the 3d application seems to be rendering it together with everything else,
it actually applies it post rendering.

McNistor
05-28-2011, 01:21 AM
There are some rare situations when you'd want to render the glow along with the object but I can't think of one right now :) so having the possibility to do it in 3d is not bad... we all agree on this one, don't we?!
I also agree that glow should usually be created in post for more freedom and versatility.

luisRiera
05-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Not so rare... I work with Softimage in an every day basis because I do animation for news
(reconstruction of car accidents for example), and sometimes there is not enough time to go to post or to render in passes due to the natural time constrains of a prime time news.

Apart from the fact that no one elses use glow in render, is there a technical reason why glow doesn't work when applied to a polygon cluster group?

McNistor
05-28-2011, 03:07 AM
The technical reason is simple: it has been implemented to work on an object basis only.
Clusters deal with materials and UVs only, while glow is an object property. As far as I know, you can't put a geom_approx on cluster either for example.
So to answer your question even better, the technical reason for this is the lack of imagination or resources to implement this regarding (ex)mental images or autodesk/avid.

luisRiera
05-28-2011, 03:42 AM
Thanks kind of a bummer, but I guess I could live without it. The good side is that now I know more of the "behind the scenes" of Softimage. Thanks for the answer!

PiotrekM
05-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Well if you don't have time to do renderpasses, try render channels. Then you have only one pass but you can output separate masks in one go, and do glow in softimage compositor. It wont be any slower than doing glow in 3d. And you will be safe if 3d glow fails on some frames for example.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2011, 09:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.