PDA

View Full Version : Namco Pictures presents: TEKKEN Blood Vengeance (Full-Length CG Animated 3D Movie)

CGIPadawan
05-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Well guys and girls,

After Capcom achieved some pretty sizeable success with Resident Evil: Degeneration (a sequel is already in the works), it was a matter of time until another game developer tried its hand at making a full-length film:

Watch the Trailer Here
(http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=77478)
The movie is a collaboration between director Youichi Mouri (Tekken 5 and 6 Cinematics) and writer Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, GITS: Stand-Alone Complex).

In launching the trailer, Tekken Project Director Katsuhiro Harada explained that the movie is "For Fans Only". It definitely looks like that. But I can't help feeling this represents a major step up from Capcom's RE film.

In fact, it looks pretty good, and doesn't creep me out. But some of the characters (Kazuya) seem too stylized. Then again, that appears to match the in-game actor's design anyway, which is what fans would want.

ThE_JacO
05-13-2011, 03:54 AM
This right here is the only bit that gives it any credibility and hope.
writer Dai Sato (Cowboy Bebop, GITS: Stand-Alone Complex).
Which gets quickly suppressed by this bit.
In launching the trailer, Tekken Project Director Katsuhiro Harada explained that the movie is "For Fans Only".

CGIPadawan
05-13-2011, 04:00 AM
That's well and good, Raffaele, but let's talk about quality.

In your professional opinion, does Tekken Blood Vengeance represent a step forward for animated CG films that do not pander to children?

ThE_JacO
05-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Japanese animation has flipped the finger to animation being for kids only from day one. They also have a style and an innate tolerance and sense for minimalist and highly stylized (and zombie valley) that made them pick up CG in that middle segment, budget and quality wise, kinda missing in Western productions, and have also had that for a long time.

Nothing changed.
This remains an excellent-for-the-budget, brute force operation like most of the things done over there, be it Square, Sega, Capcom, Namco or anybody else's teams and franchises.

Does it look good? Yes, in the way Square cinematics do. Can I sit through a whole movie worth of it? I couldn't for RE (but could for advent children just to see the design and texturing work), but am willing to give this one a shot too, and keep giving this stuff a try until they nail it.

I have little hope for character work of a certain level, outside of the aesthetics and graphical design elements, coming out of Japan any time soon when they work with the budgets they work with. It just doesn't seem to be something they care much for in first place.

I don't think this does, or even intends to do, anything to widen a niche, carve a new one, or go for wide and/or western audiences. It doesn't care to imo. And I'm ok with it :)

Cowboy Bebop and stand alone complex are two very rare cases of relatively recent TV/OVA Jap productions that I thought had tons of merit beyond just the stuff anime does stereotypically well. More than willing to give Dai Sato a chance at my DVD budget money.

Array
05-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Which gets quickly suppressed by this bit.

Who else should this movie be for if not the fans? Most video game to film adaptations are ruined because they try to cater to an audience which is outside of the original fan base, destroying what made the concept of the original game special in the first place.

Mic_Ma
05-13-2011, 04:50 AM
I don't care about Tekken one bit but I like this. The flick appears to know what it wants to be and it looks like they can deliver.

ThE_JacO
05-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Who else should this movie be for if not the fans? Most video game to film adaptations are ruined because they try to cater to an audience which is outside of the original fan base, destroying what made the concept of the original game special in the first place.
If we were talking Watchmen, I'd agree. Given it's Tekken we're talking about, I can't but think that lip service to the original franchise might squelch the story and character development aspect just a tiny bit.

Fans of it mostly seemed intent on contemplating tits bouncyness, demon chick hotness and extreme haircuts in the past when it comes to this particular horse :)

But then, maybe there's a rich and complex background lore I'm not aware of, never been a tekken fan (if it's not a 2D scroller or trying to be I'm not interested :P)
Fights should kick some ass at least, and there's something to be said for unapologetic roundhouse kicks driven stories that aren't afraid of camp.

TeZzy
05-13-2011, 05:30 AM
This looks like redemption for the live action Tekken that was made.

XeroWolf
05-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Tekken games themselves but I was attracted to franchise (since Tekken 3) because of CG cinematics. So now I feel like this movie in being made for me. lol

fablefox
05-13-2011, 09:57 PM
i don't really know if this will work.

ff series has a great storyline and a central character. ff7 with it advent children spin-off is awesome because it tell a back story. and you know the character very deeply.

tekken on the other hand, has many character, although the heihachi family is the main focus.

a rpg, you play to advance the story - hence the hundreds line of dialogue. game like tekken, are button pusher. too little dialog, too little storyline.

tekken the movie went street fighter way (original) because of too much character problem. i don't know how this would end up.

unless they hire Tony Ja.

CGIPadawan
05-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Well I agree with most of the ideas stated above. But I think these guys went some way to make sure the characters didn't look scary 99% of the time. I was hoping we'd all be talking more about the artistic approaches at that budget level, but yeah, I guess writing is inseparable from what's onscreen and, yes, concerns about what direction is being taken are well noted.

It should be interesting that Namco launched an entire Company to make this movie. So I suppose if this works, the next film will be Soul Calibur?

fablefox
05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
It should be interesting that Namco launched an entire Company to make this movie. So I suppose if this works, the next film will be Soul Calibur?

I don't know how it work in the US, but this allow for separation of liability. so no matter what happens, it will not effect the bigger books. and of course, creditors. i think they're doing this because it is well known that most video games movies bomb.

prince of Persia works because they just use the IP and storyline, but everything else is your usual sword and sorcery thing (sinbad, xena, hercules, etc) so there is already a market. and they don't focus on too much character, just the usual hero, girl and bad guy. and comic partner.

reverie101
09-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Another thing to note is that this is the first stereoscopic full CG film from Japan. There has been S3D works for amusement parks and exhibitions but not film. Digital Frontier, the production company, previously created Biohazard Degeneration and is coming out with Biohazard Damnation next year in 3D.

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2011, 08:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.