PDA

View Full Version : interior rendering houdini!!

NDoubleV
05-12-2011, 09:04 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2572/5712710096_f83f02e4c8_b.jpg

This is my render ! how to remove the noise?I just have increase sampling quality but it not be fix. It is same the FG in maya, i controlled it. But in Houdini how to control it? Give me some tips or tricks to render interior

Hun
05-12-2011, 12:14 PM
You should check out this thread:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=21548

There is a lot of valuable info in it regarding the rendering of interior spaces, including settings and the appropriate use of the new GI light.

NDoubleV
05-12-2011, 02:38 PM
thank Hun! it gave me a lot of experience 4 houdini render. But it is not enough. mantra is good 4 render smoke, fire, explosion . But architect render is not good solution.

Cordeiro
05-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Going into Houdini or renderman and trying to render an interior scene is not a good ideia, I did try-it myself :
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/12766-learning-mantra/
with less than acceptable resuts :hmm:
I didn't gave up but found that in order to do that kind of rendering i should learn allot more about reyes renderers and shading . I would love to see more experienced people approach the problem thought. There was a thread here at cgtalk about making a "Vray like" interior in mental ray would be nice to see the same for mantra ;)

cdeorsay
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
I like to look at this chart when i need to get noise in my pbr renders.

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/9590-pbr-snack/

Hope it helps!

rjw
05-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Where are you adjusting the Sampling Quality? On the Environment Light? Most times 1 to 2 is fine if there is a lot of frequency detail in the environment map.

Use Portal Light for the Environment Light pouring through the skylights.
Use Mantra PBR as it simplifies rendering of interiors.
Try starting off with the Mantra PBR settings recommended by Jason Iversen on the OdForce thread mentioned above?

Sampling Tab:
Pixel Samples: 7x7 to 12x12 or higher start at 9x9
Min Ray Samples: 1
max Ray Samples: 9
Noise Level: 0.07

Shading Tab:
Reflect Limit: 2 to 5
Refract Limit: 2 to 5
Diffuse Limit: 0 to 2
Color Space: Gamma 2.2

PBR Tab:
Color Limit: from 5 to 8

You can add an Indirect Light to your scene to accelerate the indirect lighting when the Diffuse Limit is set to 1 or greater.

Generally you want to increase the Pixel Samples until most of the noise is abated or is tolerable.
I don't generally touch the min or max samples as 1 to 9 is good for many renders.
The Noise Level parameter is what causes Mantra to start to increase the number of secondary samples set by the min and max samples parameter.

Setting Color Space to Gamma 2.2 forces mantra to cast more secondary rays in the darks as it boosts the lows within the render engine. This doesn't mean that brightness is boosted in the final rendered image.

Add the indirect light to accelerate the speed of indirect light look-ups. This really helps speed things up and abate noise in interior renders where bounce light is a key contributor to the final lighting. This will generate a photon map for indirect secondary bounces. Note that Mantra will still fire rays in to areas where the noise level threshold is crossed and will send off secondary rays. Contact shadows is one area where you may see some secondary rays fired off when you use an indirect light.
For normal renders you rarely need to go past 1 million photons. The defaults work well as a starting point.

I always set the mplay and ipr gamma to 2.2 when I render as I like to view things and work in linear space.

NDoubleV
05-13-2011, 04:00 AM
Use Portal Light for the Environment Light pouring through the skylights.
Use Mantra PBR as it simplifies rendering of interiors.

Sampling Tab:
Pixel Samples: 7x7 to 12x12 or higher start at 9x9
Min Ray Samples: 1
max Ray Samples: 9
Noise Level: 0.07

Shading Tab:
Reflect Limit: 2 to 5
Refract Limit: 2 to 5
Diffuse Limit: 0 to 2
Color Space: Gamma 2.2

PBR Tab:
Color Limit: from 5 to 8

You can add an Indirect Light to your scene to accelerate the indirect lighting when the Diffuse Limit is set to 1 or greater.

Generally you want to increase the Pixel Samples until most of the noise is abated or is tolerable.
I don't generally touch the min or max samples as 1 to 9 is good for many renders.
The Noise Level parameter is what causes Mantra to start to increase the number of secondary samples set by the min and max samples parameter.

Setting Color Space to Gamma 2.2 forces mantra to cast more secondary rays in the darks as it boosts the lows within the render engine. This doesn't mean that brightness is boosted in the final rendered image.

Add the indirect light to accelerate the speed of indirect light look-ups. This really helps speed things up and abate noise in interior renders where bounce light is a key contributor to the final lighting. This will generate a photon map for indirect secondary bounces. Note that Mantra will still fire rays in to areas where the noise level threshold is crossed and will send off secondary rays. Contact shadows is one area where you may see some secondary rays fired off when you use an indirect light.
For normal renders you rarely need to go past 1 million photons. The defaults work well as a starting point.

I always set the mplay and ipr gamma to 2.2 when I render as I like to view things and work in linear space.

Thank 4 ur tips! I got it! Your file is missed indirectlight1.pmap
You can upload the miss!

Else About memories rendering? Do you tell me more?

rjw
05-13-2011, 07:21 AM
The indirectlight1.pmap should be automatically generated by the Indirect Light in the scene when you render. This is the photon map that holds the bulk of the indirect lighting.
Have a look at the Indirect Light. The Photon File parameter determines where to write and read the photon map. Is the path valid? Is it actually generating a .pmap file when you render?

As for memory and rendering, are there issues that you are having?

NDoubleV
05-13-2011, 07:46 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/5714934625_1463f42979_b.jpg

Here's my last test. It is not bad. Thank rjw!
Min/max ray sample 24/24
pixel sample 4/4
Noise level 0.04

Reflect Limit 5
Refrac limit 5
Diffuse Limit 2

PBR
color limit 5
Min Reflection Ratio 0

and render time 30 minutes.

Should i increase pixel simple or min/max ray sample 4 save time render?

I like the shadow of skylight than portalLight and indirectLight is very helpful for save time render. I think memories also accelerete render time like maya mental ray. But not,seem mantra is balanced memories for best render!

here my scene http://www.mediafire.com/?wxto4zp00cf3j7j

ErikJohEve
05-13-2011, 08:59 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2428/5714934625_1463f42979_b.jpg

Here's my last test. It is not bad. Thank rjw!
Min/max ray sample 24/24
pixel sample 4/4
Noise level 0.04

Reflect Limit 5
Refrac limit 5
Diffuse Limit 2

PBR
color limit 5
Min Reflection Ratio 0

and render time 30 minutes.

Should i increase pixel simple or min/max ray sample 4 save time render?

I like the shadow of skylight than portalLight and indirectLight is very helpful for save time render. I think memories also accelerete render time like maya mental ray. But not,seem mantra is balanced memories for best render!

here my scene http://www.mediafire.com/?wxto4zp00cf3j7j

You are usually better off increasing Pixel Samples instead of Min/Max Ray Samples.
Try Rendering at 9x9 and Min and Max at default instead.
It usually renders faster + you get better anti aliasing at edges.

NDoubleV
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
How to use PBR shading and PBR Photon shading? what effect do PBR shading use for?

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2011, 10:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.