PDA

View Full Version : Edit Properties during Batch Render

lakehaze
05-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Is there a way to modify object properties with a batch file?
A command that would allow me to modify the cube's y-rotation value during the batch render?

Something like:
xsi -render C:\Scenes\examplev.scn -pass pass_default -edit root.myStageCube.roty=90;

xsi -render C:\Scenes\examplev.scn -pass pass_default -edit root.myStageCube.roty=45;

Possible?
Through any batch render system?

xsisupport
05-12-2011, 10:57 AM
During the render? You'd have to use an event like OnBeginFrame.
But why wouldn't you do something like animate the cube or apply an operator that updates the cube position?

You can also run scripts before the render, using the -script xsibatch flag.

lakehaze
05-12-2011, 01:00 PM
But why wouldn't you do something like animate the cube or apply an operator that updates the cube position?

The cube is a parent of my camera. I need multiple angles of each frame, so animation is out. Passes are already being used for character segregation and camera-oriented normal passes.

But I'm not sure what you mean by an 'operator' that updates the position.

I will look into the '-script' feature, but I'm not a well-versed coder, so I might be back for how to get a script talking to the roty property.

Thanks though on the starting point; -script sounds promising. I'm confident I'll figure it out from the docs.

luceric
05-12-2011, 06:10 PM
Softimage allows you to render your scene from multiple cameras by specifying a group instead of a single camera
http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/cam_cameras_RenderingwithMultipleCameras.htm#Rgp44625

ThE_JacO
05-13-2011, 04:59 AM
I will look into the '-script' feature, but I'm not a well-versed coder, so I might be back for how to get a script talking to the roty property.
For something as simple as what you're after you could probably just copy and paste the commands that do what you want in the graphical client.

If you have no motion blur, you can also consider having a default clip moving that camera that's activated at batch time (always through a simple script), or look into camera groups as Luc-Eric suggests if you're ok with multiple outputs.

lakehaze
05-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Softimage allows you to render your scene from multiple cameras by specifying a group instead of a single camera

Neat, that's cool. But I wasn't completely honest. That cube is also a parent of my lighting. When the cube rotates, the lights and camera follow, making it appear that the content is spinning. I could have the same effect by parenting the stage cube to the scene content, but I don't like parenting over complex animated character rigs. Rotating the static audience around the dynamic actor feels safer to me.

If I could somehow get the lights to adjust based on which camera was active, the camera group solution would be perfect.

I think I've got a system working now with the -script batch render feature. Although creating a unique script for each camera angle, along with a batch defined output directory, it's still a fight. I'm looking for a way to automatically set up the many simple scripts required, and I think I'm close.

Thanks again for the help :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2011, 09:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.