PDA

View Full Version : Maya to XSI transition for animators

DruG
05-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi, friendly XSI users ;)

As a Maya animator I have to animate a character in your favorite XSI and as you probably already know - I need some help :)

First of all: why there are times (too often) when I can`t Paste keys on timeline? I select something, I copy, I go to a frame I want to paste into and... Paste is grayed out. What am I doing wrong?

Other thing - do you know any script I could hook up to a shortcut which would change type of keys showing on timeline? I mean RMB > Show Keys > Keyable Parameters and Current Character Set.

Or maybe there`s a shortcut already and I haven`t found it? The amount of clicks needed to change that every time is a bit annoying.

finalgathering
05-18-2011, 04:27 PM
To paste keys, I usually use ctrl+c/ctrl+v never had a problem even between objects.
If you're on Win7 and use the fcurve editor or ICE graph, I highly recommend that you use an "Aero" Theme (right click on desktop>personalize>chose any Aero theme) or you may get some annoying refresh issues. If that doesn't help, rename the preference file C:\Users\you\Autodesk\Softimage_2012
As for the second part with the timeline keys displayed, my colleague in support Stephen will reply to you shortly.

xsisupport
05-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi, friendly XSI users ;)

Other thing - do you know any script I could hook up to a shortcut which would change type of keys showing on timeline? I mean RMB > Show Keys > Keyable Parameters and Current Character Set.

Or maybe there`s a shortcut already and I haven`t found it? The amount of clicks needed to change that every time is a bit annoying.
http://xsisupport.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/changing-the-mini-dopesheet-show-keys-settings/

ShaderOp
05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
As a Maya animator I have to animate a character in your favorite XSI and as you probably already know - I need some help :)
You guys are working on The Witcher III already? :surprised

DruG
05-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Thank you so much, that`s very helpful:)

@ShaderOp: why? :)

mirkoj
05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
as for copy/paste keys on time line...
after you copy key use shift+left click to position you wanna paste and then it won't be grayed.
Basically select the frame you are pasting to.
It is a bit annoying at beginning but after a while you get used to it and it is automatic :)

ShaderOp
05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
@ShaderOp: why? :)
Because I would already pre-order The Witcher III if I had the option :)

And it would also be nice to know if my favorite 3D application was used in making one of my favorite games.

DruG
05-23-2011, 01:01 PM
mirkoj: thank you! I`ll keep that in mind:)

ShaderOp :)

XSI is already being used by our two character artists:) For animation and cutscenes we use Motionbuilder:)

oktawu
05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
woooo, hold on a minute there...
TWO character artists?
what are u polish people, aliens with 6 brains and 12 pair of hands?
seriously now....two...?
and ootb, witcher 2 had to be the best rpg i've ever played...so far.
kudos on that. tell me, did vodka have anything to do with the production value? :p

DruG
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Wait, wait... what I ment is 2 from our 5 character artist use XSI ;)

And thanks for the kind words:)

ShaderOp
05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
kudos on that. tell me, did vodka have anything to do with the production value? :p
I'm guessing that the Ballmer Peak (http://xkcd.com/323/) applies to 3D artists as well as programmers.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2011, 05:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.