PDA

View Full Version : Age Map Question

pixelforge
05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm a pflow noob so this probably has a really simple answer. I just can't seem to find it.

What I'm trying to do is dissolve an object from a solid into red green and blue pixels. I'm using a material frequency operator using a multi/sub material with three submaterials, each using a particle age map going from the original color to R G or B respectively. That all works fine. What's confusing me is that the particle age seems to be using the lifespan of the whole system instead of the age of individual particles, so all the particles are changing in synch. How can I fix that?

JohnnyRandom
05-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Either use a script operator to set particle lifespan, or a data op to set it, or add a delete operator by event. By default lifespan is actually some ludicrously high number (something like 1.34218e+007f). You need to define it to a more usable value.

pixelforge
05-11-2011, 03:34 AM
I have a delete operator in there already but the particle age map is treating all particles as if they were born on the same frame. Particles that emit near the end are already fully changed. Is that just the way it is with the age map or am I missing something?

JohnnyRandom
05-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Are you using a Material Dynamic Operator? It sounds like you have a Material Static operator in your flow.

pixelforge
05-11-2011, 04:53 AM
I'm using a material frequency operator to distribute the three different versions of the material, but no other material operators.

JohnnyRandom
05-11-2011, 07:33 AM
I think it may be best to create however many duplicate flows as you have materials, as AFAIK material dynamic is the only mat op that gives you per particle animated texture timing based on age.

Maybe someone else might chime in a better way :shrug:

pixelforge
05-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks Johnny. I'll try setting it up with material dynamic and see if that gives me what I'm after. Appreciate your help.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2011, 03:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.