PDA

View Full Version : How to train dragon- flying scene

nickymcc
05-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi. I did this for my Uni design module it was a bit of a self learning curve and only one in class who chose to do 3d. Took 8 weeks in between other assignments and was made in Maya.

I know when he rises he has eye problem and when he hits water it really bad.

Going to try and make better over my holidays just for the fun any advise would be great

http://youtu.be/JyW8cF-ZT6U

Thanks

Nicky

granger40
05-11-2011, 04:43 PM
When the dragon flies he looks stiff. Adding movement with the head and tail might make it flow better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbZtfznQb-Y

nickymcc
05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
yep def need more movement.. tried a bit of it when he first goes up but mainly his head.

SoulArcanium
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Where exactly are you studying the animation? Im am going to university next year so Im reading what people think about different universities.

As for the animation, what's with the sudden fps drops?

desmondying
05-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a confession: I've seen the movie but I forgot most of it...curses! why do I spend so much money on movies when I forget one week later. :cry:

Anyway back to your reel.
Before you touch on stuff like animation or technical stuff, You have to work on your camera direction, composition and staging. Which I think will benefit you as a design student.
Pay attention to the camera axis line, rule of thirds and keeping your subject in frame. Most of these mistakes can be eliminated when story boarding and creating an animatic or leica reel.

1. Camera axis
the path of action of the dragon must be clear, if its flying from screen left to right in one shot, don't reverse his direction in the next shot. Likewise with eye direction. Also, if your dragon is on the left half of the screen in one shot don't throw him to the right side in the next shot.

2. Something I call: Progressing the action.
Tracking a moving object is tricky, and this is the part that is hard to explain. Don't "over shoot" the camera or it will seem like the dragon is loosing speed and regressing from the frame. When the dragon is flying from screen left to right, start it out at the left side and progress it forward to the centre of the frame. this way, not only is the dragon moving forward in the environment, its moving forward within the screen too.

Sorry of the WOT. Have fun Animating!

nickymcc
05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for replys..

I am doing web design at uni. Maya/animation is just a hobby learnt the basic's at college but have been self teaching since then.

Love the feed back getting some great advice which will all be taken on board

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2011, 05:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.