View Full Version : Photoshop CS

Omita
10-24-2003, 08:52 PM
Hey... no more numbers...

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/newfeatures.html

Kotayus
10-24-2003, 10:24 PM
yeah, they are following macromedias MX trend :D

I heard about PS 8 , maybe this is intermediary? though i think that might be a bad move on adobes part if it was...i dont know, it just doesnt seem to justify the update price...i would like some new toys...not bug (what bugs?) fixes and a couple additions.

halo
10-24-2003, 10:31 PM
nope it is 8, but with a different name

its a better upgrade for me than 6-7. DOF filter will be a plus as will the kodak lens simulations for starters + RAW image working area as well. :)

Kotayus
10-24-2003, 10:38 PM
well, from my point of view...it isnt worth the upgrade...and i think its sad that it has been like this...a lot of people still use 5.5 because they dont see the point in paying the money for so little. I myself will most likely wait until thier next revision...which is bad for business...

halo
10-24-2003, 11:04 PM
oh i know where you comming from....i remember being actually excited about upgrades years ago, not that i'm any less keen, but these days sw houses just aint firing out the must have upgrades. I think CS will be worth a shot if your on 5.5 (for a start 5.5 colour profiling isnt exactly right) + all the filters are getting better previews and you can customise keys. Like you say hardly a big bang, but from 4 or 5 worth it :)

klingspor
10-25-2003, 12:35 PM
From what I've seen, the biggest problem with this release is that just about every one of their "New features" can be had today in the form of plug-ins. Be it "text on a path" (which is not Photoshop's job anyway IMO), "Shadow/Highlight correction" or the "Match Color command"...
The only thing that sounds remotely interesting to me is the plugin-preview, but I don't think that alone could warrant the price of uprade (which has also increased, if I'm not mistaken!).

deleex
10-26-2003, 11:10 AM
yeah, this semms to be interesting :beer:

illustrativ
10-29-2003, 08:06 PM
well from what i have seen Photoshop CS is worth getting? You ask why, well first it has alot of new features, well ye su can get it in the form of a plugin, but why would u want to waste time with a plugin when u have it all built in and again the whole CS suite is optimised for the New G5 so its like 3 times faster when u working on big projects.

How i know this?
I Have tested it with the Radial Blur which everyone knows takes a long time to process, and it was done in no time.

Also if u have Photoshop CS and you are working in a work group with a server machine and the server machine has Version Glue(only comes with Adobe CS package not sold seperately)on it you can share files between others on the server easily and you can also share a file between all the appz in the CS and if u update lets say a Image in Photoshop and u added it to a project in Indesign and the othe CS packages it automatically updates all of them.

With Version Glue you can also save versions of the 1 file into the 1 .PSD so no more need to save a new file each time u update something.

eg. Dog.psd if u updated that and u wanted to have this version u would have to save the other with a name like Dog_01.psd.
With Version Glue you can just Save them as versions in the 1 .psd file, you can also decide if you want Version Glue on or Off.

ggg
10-30-2003, 12:28 AM
for many CG people just one feature makes it worth it... 16 bit

a few others, non-square pixels, support for more camera formats etc.

klingspor
10-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by illustrativ
...well from what i have seen Photoshop CS is worth getting? You ask why, well first it has alot of new features, well ye su can get it in the form of a plugin, but why would u want to waste time with a plugin when u have it all built in and again the whole CS suite is optimised for the New G5 so its like 3 times faster when u working on big projects.

How i know this?
I Have tested it with the Radial Blur which everyone knows takes a long time to process, and it was done in no time. So you radial blur all day? Honestly... just how much time do you think those optimizations are going to save you? How many seconds a day?
Also if u have Photoshop CS and you are working in a work group with a server machine and the server machine has Version Glue(only comes with Adobe CS package not sold seperately)on it you can share files between others on the server easily and you can also share a file between all the appz in the CS and if u update lets say a Image in Photoshop and u added it to a project in Indesign and the othe CS packages it automatically updates all of them. [/B] Well, the thing is called Version Cue, but calling it "Glue" wouldn't make it any more useful to me. And most people not working in large teams probably feel the same.
With Version Glue you can also save versions of the 1 file into the 1 .PSD so no more need to save a new file each time u update something.

eg. Dog.psd if u updated that and u wanted to have this version u would have to save the other with a name like Dog_01.psd.
With Version Glue you can just Save them as versions in the 1 .psd file, you can also decide if you want Version Glue on or Off. So what's wrong with saving differernt versions to different files? In your example, should your file ever get corrupted, you'd be out of luck - had you saved in different files for each version, you'd still have the recent versions...

illustrativ
10-30-2003, 12:15 PM
well until u try it, i dont think you should be saying its not worth a upgrade.

btw stefanminning which version of photoshop you started off with? and what version u using now?

klingspor
10-30-2003, 12:28 PM
well until u try it, i dont think you should be saying its not worth a upgrade.

btw stefanminning which version of photoshop you started off with? and what version u using now? Started out with version 3, currently using 6. But how is that relevant?

illustrativ
10-30-2003, 12:30 PM
so why did u upgrade to 6 since you dont think upgrading is necessary?

That my last question, before people think im trying to flame something.

klingspor
10-30-2003, 12:45 PM
so why did u upgrade to 6 since you dont think upgrading is necessary? I challenge you to show me where I stated that I don't find upgrades necessary.

Ofcourse upgrading is necessary - if the new features are worthwhile. But if they're not... why upgrade?
With this release of Photoshop, I see little that I need. So I will probably not go out and get it... that doesn't mean I'll never upgrade though!

illustrativ
10-30-2003, 12:48 PM
oops it wasnt you who said it, it was Kotayus. Sorry about that.

THE END

Kotayus
10-30-2003, 05:26 PM
Yup it was me :D

I do think upgrades are great...though i dont think that CS is worth MY money. It doesnt offer me enough to drop the chuck adobe wants. But thats me...i dont work in a workgroup...and i am fine with my current version, it does everything i need.

As i said, THIS version doesnt do a whole lot for me...i dont think the feature set justifies the price.

superbeexotc
10-31-2003, 12:09 AM
Adobe's CS line will sell very well, and many graphics professionals will buy it for one main reason: Native file format support. Meaning that Illustrator files can now be openned in Photoshop, and the objects can be edited (which means that Photoshop CS will support vector objects)<-Yay!

This may not sound like much, but it is worth the upgrade price for a lot of people.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.