PDA

View Full Version : Kde | Gnome

Apoclypse
10-24-2003, 07:23 PM
I was wondering how do you find developing under these api's. Also like to know which do you prefer ( if only i knew how to do one those survey things.) ah well just let me know which one you like best or you think is easier.

Oh I figure it out.

RealThing
10-24-2003, 10:36 PM
I would put wxWindows in that poll. KDE uses QT which is a nice api but there are fees for non-opensource projects and windows support. GTK has ungly widgets and it's share of problems under windows. wxWindows seems to have very good support for multiple platforms with the applications having the same look and feel as the platform and it's free for opensource or commercial applications.

aurora
10-25-2003, 01:51 PM
I like KDE because I love QT!!! Its everything that MFC should have been only a 1000 times better and its cross platform compatible. Plus its fast easy to extend, easy to learn. One draw back though is the QGL widget. It has been a royal pain to use. It does not appear to init OGL with the PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR so I have had a few problems with the OGL window not resizeing properly in the past.

dead_eye
10-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Everything MFC should have been? I thought it was just a Linux/Unix thing lol. Where can you download the Windows source tree from? If it's better than MFC, I'll give anything a try right now :scream:.

stew
10-25-2003, 06:53 PM
I second wxWindows. No licensing problems, available on many platforms, mature, open source, allows using native widgets and has many language bindings.

aurora
10-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Qt can be found at Qt - TrollTech (http://www.trolltech.com/)
Theres a free version of sorts and then theres the full licensed version. I believe wxWindows is free but have never used it. Another nice thing about Qt is that they are ALWAYS upgrading/improving it! The downside is that you do have to rebuild Qt everytime you upgrade and that takes few minutes to do. However the good side is you also have the full source for Qt like wxWindows!

Apoclypse
10-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I agree with the comment about qt and mfc. It really is easier to use than what windows offers. The cool thing is that you can make an app pretty quick with far less code and crap than say you would with windows. Gnome is cool but its just too burly for my tastes but it does improve on a regular bases. However I think I will stick with QT.

playmesumch00ns
10-29-2003, 09:58 AM
I've heard good things about wxWindows. QT's nice cos it's object-oriented and doesn't force into a strait-jacket like MFC does.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.