PDA

View Full Version : Change Mouse (Pan , Orbit and Zoom)

Siahpoosh
05-06-2011, 04:59 PM
is there any chance to change 3dsmax pan & orbit & zoom shortcut to something like Maya ?
for example i want to change :
Alt+MMB == > Alt + LMB (for Orbit)
Alt+Control+MMB == > Alt + RMB (for Zoom)
MMB ==> Alt + MMB (for Pan)

Thanx a lot

moulder6
05-06-2011, 05:13 PM
As far as i am aware, this is the only option:

http://draster.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,7/flypage,software-flypage/product_id,18/option,com_virtuemart/

Otherwise non of them is available for customization.

Siahpoosh
05-06-2011, 08:23 PM
As far as i am aware, this is the only option:

http://draster.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,7/flypage,software-flypage/product_id,18/option,com_virtuemart/

Otherwise non of them is available for customization.
thanx for reply , nice plugin .
but i want to change only mouse buttons without using any plugin.

moulder6
05-06-2011, 08:30 PM
A lot of us want it, too, but since it's hardcoded, it's not possible with the available controls in max.
There's a free script available that says to (kinda) do this, but it has its limitations:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/plugins/mems-max2maya-maya-viewport-navigation-in-3ds-max

vovovov
05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
If you want this feature, like every max user i know wants, please go and vote here:

https://autodesk.uservoice.com/forums/80695-publicgeneralfeaturerequests/suggestions/1489729-maya-interaction-model-hotkeys?ref=title

Enough votes and they cant ignore it.

Siahpoosh
05-06-2011, 11:55 PM
A lot of us want it, too, but since it's hardcoded, it's not possible with the available controls in max.
There's a free script available that says to (kinda) do this, but it has its limitations:
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/plugins/mems-max2maya-maya-viewport-navigation-in-3ds-max
that is exactly what i want
thanx a lot Peter

PEN
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
If you want this feature, like every max user i know wants, please go and vote here:

https://autodesk.uservoice.com/forums/80695-publicgeneralfeaturerequests/suggestions/1489729-maya-interaction-model-hotkeys?ref=title

Enough votes and they cant ignore it.

Not every Max user by a long shot, I want Maya to work like Max if anything. Frankly I do t see the issue, I don't even use Maya day to day any more and I can switch back and forth without a problem. I have Mudbox set up like Max using most of the max hot keys so why would I want Max to change.

robinb
05-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Me neither. I much prefer to use one key and one mouse button than one key and three mouse buttons. It doesn't work as well with a tablet as it does with a mouse though.

But saying that, if autodesk want users to be able to jump back and forth easily between the apps, I reckon they need to have the viewport navigation configurable in max like it is in mudbox.

Ruramuq
05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
"Full control on mouse/keyboard configuration and events.."

but I think I read somewhere here at cgtalk that they like the idea of presets.
(and presets mean hardcoded presets, obviously)
The history of max is full of things hardcoded that people don't like, but its easier for devs

personally, both, maya and 3dsmax nav systems, are incomplete..
but again, proper changes, requires true core changes.. unlikely to happen.

vovovov
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Not every Max user by a long shot, I want Maya to work like Max if anything. Frankly I do t see the issue, I don't even use Maya day to day any more and I can switch back and forth without a problem. I have Mudbox set up like Max using most of the max hot keys so why would I want Max to change.

I said: "...every max user i know wants..." not "every max user wants".

And also the point is not making Max work like Maya or the other way around. That would be just pushing some agenda.

The point is to give users a way to customise their tools to better suit their workflow and ergonomics.

SlipAway
05-08-2011, 06:58 AM
I said: "...every max user i know wants..." not "every max user wants".

And also the point is not making Max work like Maya or the other way around. That would be just pushing some agenda.

The point is to give users a way to customise their tools to better suit their workflow and ergonomics.

I agree, it's not about changing the software. It's obvious that's not gonna happen. But it stands to reason that Maya's control scheme is more intuitive. 3 different actions, 3 different buttons. Max on the other hand uses the middle mouse button for all 3 actions and we all know the middle mouse button is the least natural and the most difficult button to press down and maintain good control of the mouse. Maya's scheme just makes more common sense and IMHO is easier to use.

PEN
05-08-2011, 03:39 PM
You can say the same for Max's method, three different actions three different hot keys. I use the middle mouse button I'm Maya a whole lot so I don't see that as an argument either. Would be nice if all apps had the ability to customize it. Funny thing is in Mud box it even had a preset for Max, strangely enough it only changes one key to be correct and all other remain Maya like. Who ever set it up didn't have a clue how to use Max.

gandhics
05-09-2011, 06:03 AM
But it stands to reason that Maya's control scheme is more intuitive. 3 different actions, 3 different buttons. Max on the other hand uses the middle mouse button for all 3 actions and we all know the middle mouse button is the least natural and the most difficult button to press down and maintain good control of the mouse. Maya's scheme just makes more common sense and IMHO is easier to use.

I have to disagree. As you said, in 3ds max, I dont need to switch my finger. Drag will pan, scroll will zoom, Alt-drag will orbit. All I need to do is occasionally push alt key. I think it is "more intuitive".

SlipAway
05-09-2011, 07:05 AM
I have to disagree. As you said, in 3ds max, I dont need to switch my finger. Drag will pan, scroll will zoom, Alt-drag will orbit. All I need to do is occasionally push alt key. I think it is "more intuitive".

Also, like I said, the MMB is the most clumsy button to use on any mouse. The natural position when holding a mouse is index on left, middle finger on right. Clicking MMB requires a change from that natural position for all movement in Max. The only key needed in Maya is Alt, plus the button doing the specific action. It unlocks all viewport navs, and I don't find using my finger that's already on the mouse button and pressing it that tiring. The scroll on Max using the MMB is not smooth, I have to switch to the zoom tool or use Ctrl-Alt for that, yet another thing to think about for a new user. The only intuitive move I find in Max is the MMB pan, that is if I dont spin the wheel causing me to zoom in while I try to click and hold this resistant button down. I will have to disagree with your "more intuitive".

CHRiTTeR
05-09-2011, 07:35 AM
its only clumsy when yr middle mouse button is a scrollwheel... But you can reassign the middle mouse button to another mousebutton with almost all mouses these day, so no big deal for me

SlipAway
05-09-2011, 07:44 AM
its only clumsy when yr middle mouse button is a scrollwheel... But you can reassign the middle mouse button to another mousebutton with almost all mouses these day, so no big deal for me

I don't know of too many mice that don't have a scrollwheel. I know about the MMB being able to be reassigned, but I invite you to research Logitech Setpoint's apparent lack of this feature for specific applications.

PEN
05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
With a decent mouse I dont have a problem with the mouse wheel, I also don't have a problem using it as a button in any piece of software that uses it including Max and Maya.

SlipAway
05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
With a decent mouse I dont have a problem with the mouse wheel, I also don't have a problem using it as a button in any piece of software that uses it including Max and Maya.

That's great! We get it, you love Max and think it's flawless. The rest of us don't, including the person that started this thread.

robinb
05-09-2011, 01:33 PM
It's true that some mice do have rather stiff middle buttons. If so, then throw it away and get a good one. The MS intellimouse Explorer 3.0 has an excellent middle mouse button/ wheel feel. it's one of the things I'm very careful about when buying a mouse. i don't like some Logitech ones for this reason. And forget those ones with tilt wheels and no notches in the wheel, they're horrible with max.

I fail to see how you'd use the Maya system with a bad middle mouse button either. That uses middle click and drag for some commands too (as does XSI). At least they no longer have Alt left and middle mouse for zoom like the old days. That has to be the worst viewport navigation command of all time for me. It meant having to use the middle finger on the middle mouse button, not moving the index finger onto it which is very uncomfortable. Must have been designed by someone with more fingers than me or someone who holds mice in a very different way.

One of the things I like about the max system is that middle mouse is ALWAYS used for viewport navigation and nothing else. No confusion. It used to be a windows convention to never use mmb for commands too until Win7. Now mmb is used for doing stuff too which I feel is needlessly complicated.

The other thing I like about it is that you can hold the mmb down to pan, then keep it held and hold alt to go straight into orbit and back into pan all without releasing the mouse button. I haven't seen any other software that works like that. Even programs that claim to have compatible systems like Silo. You always have to release the button to go from pan to orbit.

Siahpoosh
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
the reason to me for change navigation is :
for me : its easy to use 1 button with my left hand and 3 button with right hand, holding or pressing middle button for me is difficult than using 3 mouse button.
i`m working with XSI and maya to much ,so when i`m back to 3dsmax and want to orbit and pan in my scene i have problem inside that . i think mouse navigation in maya is much better than 3dsmax ("this is what i think") .

so we need some options for controlling navigation buttons . some of 3dsmax users like mouse navigation in 3dsmax . some of them dont like that.

(sorry for my egnlish if its bad)

Locutus
05-09-2011, 07:12 PM
With a free script available to those who feel they need it, why mess around with trying to hard code it?

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2011, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.