PDA

View Full Version : VRay + Particles -> which material?

Holzi
05-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I want to make a simple water fountain like the one here (http://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/pflow_for_a_water_wall_part_2). Now the movement and thing is easy to set up and not much of a proplem.
However, i always have problems finding the right way to render this stuff.
If I want to render the plain spheres with a nice water shader (that works good for modelled water), it takes ages to render ( 480*270 image with motion blur is still not finished after half an hour on a rather powerfull machine - don't want to see the renderings in 720p...).
A blob-mesh crashes my machine OR looks really really bad (and big).
I'm kind a stuck here. We use VRay 1.5. So either it has to be a standard material or a vray one.

Is spheres the right way to go? and is there a trick for the set up of the material?

3DMadness
05-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Since you use vray I highly recommend you to look for bercon metaballs in chaos group forum, its like blobmesh but its a render-only effect very very fast and always perfectly rounded. I just don't remember if the latest recompile was made for v1.5 or v2.0 only.

Holzi
05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
From what i read in the CCForums it looks promising. However I seem to be unable to find a nice working set up :/
Is there anything i have to be aware of? or should the default settings produce something to look at? Because right now i only get artefacts in my renderings :/

Holzi
05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
From what i read in the CCForums it looks promising. However I seem to be unable to find a nice working set up :/
Is there anything i have to be aware of? or should the default settings produce something to look at? Because right now i only get artefacts in my renderings :/
Disregard the artefacts. I'm stupid as usual... Used distributed rendering but the slaves don't have the plugin....
But still: what would be a good setup? Is there a good ratio between particle size and the size of the metaballs? (using the particles size looks odd)

Or is there some sort of help/Documentation somewhere that i couldn't find?

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.