PDA

View Full Version : Q: Does anyone use custom primitives or shapes

jmcalpin
10-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Hi,

Doing a little research and wanted to know if any of you use custom primitives for low poly models or other beginning shapes to speed up modeling in higher rez models.

Jay

actarusprocyon
10-24-2003, 07:29 PM
My favorite one is the cube but I doubt that was your question.

Seriously,do you mean using preset parts such as a headpart or a whole body?

I'd personally stay away from any of both as I'm already working on my lazyness.

You could even find it harder to adapt your preset meshes to the shapes you want unless it's extremely low,which would contradict the time-saving thing.

I may have an exception as far as hands are concerned unless it's for a female but I told you,I'm lazy. ;)

Have a look here...

http://maxrovat.sns.hu/subdiv/

elfufu
11-03-2003, 05:32 AM
cylinder for nurbs:buttrock: :buttrock:

jmcalpin
11-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Well I remember in one of these forums (CGTalk has so many I get lost) someone had posted a thread about using an shape to build his low poly models from. Looked like two pyramids stuck together. I was wondering if anyone else started their models from anything other than a cube?

Thanks,
Jay

allenlikewo
11-13-2003, 05:26 PM
someone else here on cgtalk (can't remember who) said he uses a custom primative to model things such as lips. it was basically a 6 or 8 sided cylindar with all the polys deleted except for the top and then the triangles in the middle deleted (see attached image). He even posted an example of his workflow using it. thought is was pretty interesting way of starting and keeps good quad output.

Equinoxx
11-14-2003, 08:07 AM
that would be the MvH-Tools TubeCap for 3dsmax you posted there. [MvH = Martijn van Herk = magicM

it's a great primitive for starting eyesockets and mouths.

If anyone needs it, send me a pm and I will upload it to my site, since MagicM's site is currently under construction . . .

the reason for pm is to remind me i posted in this thread, i forget easily :p

Dave Black
11-22-2003, 07:54 PM
allenlikewo: I think you might be refering to something I posted a while back on this thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40373

-3DZ

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.