PDA

View Full Version : Convert Displacement to Polygons in V-Ray?

pixelweave
05-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Does anyone know of a method to convert a displacement to polygons in V-Ray? I was hoping that there was a native way of doing it.

cgbeige
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
it's the same as with mental ray or Maya shaders, so try something like DisplaceD (no Maya 2012 build yet) or InteractiveDisplacement 3.0, which I can't find the link for.

Kakkoii
05-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm curious as to what situation is requiring you to do this. Since displacements just move around already existing points in memory.. And within Maya you can just go Modify>Convert>Displacement to Polygons..

Richard7666
05-06-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm curious as to what situation is requiring you to do this. Since displacements just move around already existing points in memory.. And within Maya you can just go Modify>Convert>Displacement to Polygons..

That works with vray displacement?

Kakkoii
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM
That works with vray displacement?

Huh? It converts an object that has a displacement map plugged into it, into it's subdivided, displaced polygon form..

What are you trying to achieve exactly, your first post is kind of vague and hard to pinpoint exactly what you want and why...

pixelweave
05-06-2011, 03:36 PM
The situation is this. I have an ocean surface that I'm displacing with a V-Ray water texture node. Whenever I render using displacement, the render times quadruple. I was hoping to bake out (convert) my displacement to a mesh to see if this would reduce the render time to an acceptable amount. I of course tried the usual Maya method of converting my mesh to polygons, but this didn't work, so I assumed that there was a V-Ray alternative to doing this?

Kakkoii
05-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Well, was the displacement plugged into a v-ray specific node? Maya wouldn't know to use the displacement map from one of V-Ray's nodes to bake it. You'll have to temporarily plug it in the normal way you would, into a basic materials ShaderGroup. (Quicker to just create a lambert and apply the displacement to it's displacement channel, it will create the correct connections and extra displacement node to the ShaderGroup for you.)

pixelweave
05-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Yes, it was plugged into a V-Ray material node.

I tried your method of plugging it into a Lambert, but the subdivisions aren't generated. All I got was an initial triangulation of the faces.

Kakkoii
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes, it was plugged into a V-Ray material node.

I tried your method of plugging it into a Lambert, but the subdivisions aren't generated. All I got was an initial triangulation of the faces.

Yeah, cause it's basing it off the basic Maya subdivision smooth level. Mesh>Smooth to bring it to an appropriate subdivision level, but take into account that when you bake the displacement map, it will smooth mesh two more divisions.

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.