PDA

View Full Version : FAQs

Pages : [1] 2

Keenly
05-04-2011, 05:31 AM
Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the following webpage:

challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/faq (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/faq#jumpto)

RyanGlose
05-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Is there an opportunity to participate in the competition if I am 18 years old on 24th June?

Emmuh
05-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Q: Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?
Yes.
Q: What image file size is best?
There is now no file-size limit for images, however they must remain at the required size.

I find this kind of contradictory. Does this mean that there is no cap on the actually file size (in megabytes) but that they must be submitted in 2560x1600 resolution? So that you could submit a 100mb file @ 2560 x 1600 resolution but not a 4800x3200 @ 5mb? Thanks.

Keenly
05-09-2011, 02:28 AM
I find this kind of contradictory. Does this mean that there is no cap on the actually file size (in megabytes) but that they must be submitted in 2560x1600 resolution? So that you could submit a 100mb file @ 2560 x 1600 resolution but not a 4800x3200 @ 5mb? Thanks.

That is correct 'file size' refers to the size in bytes NOT the resolution. There is no official limit, however if your 2560x1600 image is 100MB you have done something wrong in my opinion.

Romixer
05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
One image per project or i can do 2 images for one project?

MarkSnoswell
05-09-2011, 12:17 PM
One image per entry... but you can enter multiple times.

Emmuh
05-09-2011, 01:16 PM

But we can submit in video format? Like submit a short video to demonstrate how our product works? Along with the overall aesthetics? Thanks in advance.

MarkSnoswell
05-09-2011, 02:08 PM
At present the NVArt competitions are for sill images only and judging is based on artistic merit of the image...

although there is an additional special category for this competition which will award a prize for the best product visualization.

Emmuh
05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Mark, thanks for the quick reply. So to my understanding the submit video category is only for the product visualization judging. While you will be expecting still images for the main competition. I feel like this is more of an industrial design competition with a focus on aesthetics. With that in mind, should you be able to specifically tell what a product does just by looking at it? Or will you be expecting more of an industrial design presentation with a focus on aesthetics?

FitoGrafito
05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
is just an image of the product and maybe different views or an still image with background ,people and all the components that fills the image using the product?

MikeHepburn
05-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi all,

There will be no video component to this competition at all. This is only a still image competition.

Apologies for the confusion.

vrexplorer
05-10-2011, 04:45 AM
The challenge is great but the subject description is too short and is not so clear to me. Just integrating the present technological products in one thin-small product..? A mobile, an i-pad or a combination of them does have all of them. They are GPRS, game, weather analyzer, phone, camera, etc.. and a computer at same time.. also companies are making new designs for these products everyday. So what we should do is making a mobile or i-pad in a smaller way with new design?

Romixer
05-11-2011, 01:46 AM
shock_level_4
I think description is too short bcose they give you many ways to show your creativity...
Of course you cant give them hare new technology non sky-fi and Better then Iphone for exmp................(who knows) :surprised
so main words hare : GOOD your visualization of SOMETHING_PORTABLE on you choice ........

wierdteaparty
05-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Nevermind my question was answered above. So when you say you just want one image you want something like the examples in the useful inspiration? So do you want something with just 2 views of the product? 3? 4? Is text allowed in the image or do we do all our explanation in the description?

Are you just asking us to design a smart phone basically? Because everything in the useful examples is either a smart phone or something I have no clue what they do because there's no descriptions or demonstrations.

MikeHepburn
05-11-2011, 09:34 AM
I think a good way to tackle this is look at how far we’ve come in the last 10 years. What we have now, make the tablets, phones and notebooks of a decade ago look like something from the olden days already! Imagine how much more advanced and cool these devices will be in 2021!

What will portable technology look like in the next decade? Will we carry them, wear them or plug them into ourselves in some way? How will we interact with them ? How will they interface with other hardware to perform the many functions we will need them to? Will they be retro, organic, metallic?

Emmuh
05-12-2011, 05:26 AM
What type of files will be permitted to be entered (such as tif/jpg/bmp/targa).

Keenly
05-12-2011, 06:16 AM
What type of files will be permitted to be entered (such as tif/jpg/bmp/targa).

good question:
High quality .jpg or .png only.

vrexplorer
05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I mean nature of the technology is changing day by day and it wont remain fixed for one decade. So let me ask my question more clear that what kind of creativity do you mean: "making a new portable device"? or "just performing today portable devices in a new form" ? Creativity in structure that lead us to "invent" a new thing or creativity in form that lead us to "perform" a present thing nicer...?

Kerneth
05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
I mean nature of the technology is changing day by day and it wont remain fixed for one decade. So let me ask my question more clear that what kind of creativity do you mean: "making a new portable device"? or "just performing today portable devices in a new form" ? Creativity in structure that lead us to "invent" a new thing or creativity in form that lead us to "perform" a present thing nicer...?

you're making question when you already wrote the answer "I mean nature of the technology is changing day by day and it wont remain fixed for one decade" - so if you think ist gonna be like that, than by all means create something that wont remain fixed for a decade.

Or as Mike said -- "I think a good way to tackle this is look at how far we’ve come in the last 10 years. What we have now, make the tablets, phones and notebooks of a decade ago look like something from the olden days already! Imagine how much more advanced and cool these devices will be in 2021!"

Things are really clear if you want to be more clear go to the inspiration link that'll help a lot.

Good luck on the challenge

Emmuh
05-13-2011, 04:07 AM
How will "achievable in a decade" be determine? Such as, will it be based off what is currently in development? Will it need to be produced to the mass public in 10 years? Or just able to produce a prototype? How will you determine what technologies will be out in the next 10 years and how far along in the developmental process those technologies are?

Keenly
05-13-2011, 07:36 AM
How will "achievable in a decade" be determine?
If your device doesn't exist by 2021 we will come to your homes and take back the prizes...

Seriously though, if you think it's believable that should be fine.
however, I'd say we're assuming the planet will still be the same. (NOT tools for survival against the zombie apocalypse)

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/inspiration#jumpto

kenju
05-14-2011, 12:37 AM
here's a simpler question. does the device have to be portable: cell, notebook, watch, etc.? Or it could be something on a bigger scale like a car, bike, or even a building?

theinkknight
05-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Is anyone else having a problem uploading their files to the submission gallery for this competition? My files have not been uploading for a couple of days.

Thanks

aNodia
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Id love to know what is the main goal: to show your artistic capabilities, create a beautiful image? or to come up with a cool "new" idea?

Kerneth
05-18-2011, 12:51 AM
here's a simpler question. does the device have to be portable: cell, notebook, watch, etc.? Or it could be something on a bigger scale like a car, bike, or even a building?

As the intro says "Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience in a revolutionary". In the inspiration I dont see any house or auto. But surely doesn't have to be a phone. Just create something new or inspired that you can bring with you. I dont see this challenge going for a car theme... but if you make a portable car by all means go ahead.

cheers

theinkknight
05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Is anyone else having a problem uploading their files to the submission gallery for this competition? My files have not been uploading for a couple of days.

Thanks

Has anyone else tired to upload an image to the gallery lately? When I pick my file, nothing happens and doesn't load. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

BebeteLANUITE
05-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Hi,
I just have a question. I have two concepts and i see in the "terms and conditions" that multiple entries are permitted.
But how can i do to present the concepts ?
Can i post two final images ?

Thanks a lot for your answer ;-)

jondiyolahe
05-19-2011, 12:06 AM
i have a question plz
can i uplod 2 final image ??

Keenly
05-19-2011, 01:38 AM

Thanks
What is the file size and dimensions of the image you are trying to upload?

Try and keep your WIP images around 2560 x 1600 too, huge images may cause memory problems when trying to upload.

Also.
Image extensions should be: JPG or PNG
Image Names cannot include spaces or special characters.

for anyone having trouble uploading, can you please provide the image name | extension | size (because it helps me)

Hope that helps.

jondiyolahe
05-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Hello
i have 2 question plz

can i upload 2 final image ?

and can i upload a video for the final image ?

thanks alot

Keenly
05-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Id love to know what is the main goal: to show your artistic capabilities, create a beautiful image? or to come up with a cool "new" idea?All the above!

Kerneth
05-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Hello
i have 2 question plz

can i upload 2 final image ?

and can i upload a video for the final image ?

thanks alot

MikeHepburn ----
" There will be no video component to this competition at all. This is only a still image competition."

If you have different concept you can enter both as final image or two final image of the same, I believe thats what they meant. If im incorrect they will notify us soon.

vinnypolston
05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Question: Does the image submitted have to be completely digitally created or can it be based off a real photo with cg added?

Thanks,
Vinny

eissahesham
05-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

I was just wondering if I'm creating a kind of communication device, like a smart phone or pad or something, is it ok to have on its screen a page open from facebook, twitter or wikipedia for example just to demonstrate certain options in the device?

Thanks

JakeSchwartz
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I am under 18, so I am not able to officially submit anything. However, I am wondering if those under 18 could submit items to an unofficial version of this contest, just to be able to compare their entries to those above the age of 18. The idea behind this is to allow those under 18 to compete with those above 18, but not for the prizes. I would think it beneficial for this age group to be able to somehow partake in this contest.

-Best regards,
Jake S.

Emmuh
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
how are we suppose to show how the product works? For the text submission do we explain it there? or should we make a diagram? Or should we figure out it for ourselves? Thanks

jstaddon
05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Will judging be based solely on "artistic merit of the image" and "best product visualization" (which to me sound pretty similar)? or will the ingenuity of the actual product be taken into account? It seems to me that doing a very beautiful rendering of a glorified iPod is maybe not so impressive as a beautiful rendering of an innovative design.

Gluttony1
05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I hope everyone renewed their issues of Popular Science...

arillos
05-29-2011, 04:56 AM
Can I submit an image in portrait format 1600 x 2560 ?

eissahesham
05-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Is anyone gonna answer my question before the competition is over? :)

Paularskog
05-29-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't know why the photo isn't loading. All of the area's of loading the photo are being meet with the 196 chartacters and so on. Is anyone else having this probelm?

Keenly
05-30-2011, 03:52 AM
is it ok to have on its screen a page open from facebook, twitter or wikipedia for example just to demonstrate certain options in the device?I would say no.
"All entries should be original and not a derivative of existing work" & "By entering the competition the entrant warrants that they are the sole copyright holder"
- from the terms and conditions.

Keenly
05-30-2011, 04:04 AM
I don't know why the photo isn't loading. All of the area's of loading the photo are being meet with the 196 chartacters and so on. Is anyone else having this probelm?should be 191 characters max!

Image extensions should be: JPG or PNG
Image Names cannot include spaces or special characters.

for anyone having trouble uploading, can you please provide the image name | extension | size (because it helps me)

If it's still not uploading, email (info at CGSociety.org) me the image and i will suss it out.

Keenly
05-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Hi,
I just have a question. I have two concepts and i see in the "terms and conditions" that multiple entries are permitted.
But how can i do to present the concepts ?
Can i post two final images ?

Thanks a lot for your answer ;-)Yes, you can post as many final images as you like.

Can I submit an image in portrait format 1600 x 2560 ?No. landscape only

However, I am wondering if those under 18 could submit items to an unofficial version of this contest, You're welcome to start a thread here on the forums.

korrigan83
06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
you one can add other images
if so how?

thank you

jondiyolahe
06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Can i add a nvidia website in the screen device ?

Gluttony1
06-02-2011, 09:37 AM
What time does the contest end? I understand that it ends on June 16, but what it doesnt say is what time that it ends on June 16, will the contest be closed to entries at noon or midnight pst/est etc. Thanks.

veldara
06-02-2011, 11:24 AM
There may be some extension in the time of delivery, current delivery deadlines are somewhat adjusted.

Sorry for my poor English!

carinio98
06-02-2011, 04:03 PM
how can i know it my work was been submitted successfully?

and also my work was about 1365x1800 size is it okay or not? :sad:

Keenly
06-03-2011, 07:31 AM
you one can add other images
if so how? Just click the big yellow 'upload entry' button and upload another one.

Can i add a nvidia website in the screen device ?I don't know, but you're not the copyright holder of nvidia's website so my guess would be no, you can't.

how can i know it my work was been submitted successfully? it will show in the submitted entries and on your page (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/carinio98)

and also my work was about 1365x1800 size is it okay or not? :sad:not. (read the FAQs (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/faq#jumpto), They are quite clear that the image must be 2560 x 1600.

Keenly
06-03-2011, 07:39 AM
What time does the contest end?I'm not going to give you a definite answer on this (because i'm a bully :twisted: ). submit it by midnight June 15th to be sure (let the 16th be your grace period).

There may be some extension in the time of delivery I haven't be told anything yet, but maybe.

korrigan83
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Hello
How to remove a picture?

that jai mid double ( final )

thank you

carinio98
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Just click the big yellow 'upload entry' button and upload another one.

I don't know, but you're not the copyright holder of nvidia's website so my guess would be no, you can't.

it will show in the submitted entries and on your page (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/carinio98)

not. (read the FAQs (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/faq#jumpto), They are quite clear that the image must be 2560 x 1600.

aawwwwww i have to change the aspect ratio.... :banghead:

Miked08
06-03-2011, 06:58 PM
This isn't a FAQ so apologies for this, it's more of an Occasionally Asked Question. I am unable to upload my entry.

I upload the image (step 1) but then can't choose a thumbnail (step 2) which means I cannot progress. I've tried using Google Crome and Firefox but neither allow me to enter.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/mike_elf/moan.jpg

Could it be fixed please? Or am I doing something wrong?

*The image I upload is the required size

carinio98
06-03-2011, 07:06 PM
This isn't a FAQ so apologies for this, it's more of an Occasionally Asked Question. I am unable to upload my entry.

I upload the image (step 1) but then can't choose a thumbnail (step 2) which means I cannot progress. I've tried using Google Crome and Firefox but neither allow me to enter.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/mike_elf/moan.jpg

Could it be fixed please? Or am I doing something wrong?

*The image I upload is the required size

the same issue that i came up the first time i upload mine. but i rename my entry with no space in each of the words. and boom i enter to the contest but the problem was it is not the right size. i think even im in my entry was disqualified. i will fix mine later. when my net expired.

Miked08
06-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Nice one Carinio! All working now.

I guess they do say that the file name must only use alpha numeric characters, I forgot about a 'space'...

thevossman
06-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Try as i might... I cannot get my image to upload. It never appears on this page and when i click the submit button the page reloads and me entry does not appear. My images size is a 2560x1600jpg and the file name has no spaces and includes only letters.... Any other ideas why this might not function?

thevossman
06-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Image for the above posthttp://www.natepvoss.com/Downloads/BrokenUpload.jpg

MarkSnoswell
06-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Competition finishes at midnight June 16th US West Coast Time -- but DONT leave uploads until the last day. Its YOUR responsibility to make sure you can upload your entry BEFORE the deadline.

On using company logos on your products -- DONT unless you have written permission from the copyright holders.

korrigan83
06-04-2011, 10:53 AM
je ne parle pas anglais j'utilise google traduction ,je ne comprend pas les messages

faut il refaire les images ?????

cordialement

korrigan83
06-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I edit the final images supremely logos

thank you for your help

jean noel
:thumbsup:

mdmodeler
06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
On using company logos on your products -- DONT unless you have written permission from the copyright holders.
I think there are a lot of people that don't know this because they have NVIDIA's logo on their device submissions.

thevossman
06-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes your right, lots of people have logos plastered all over their stuff.

For those having unexplained uploading problems (size and naming are correct but it still isnt working):
Try a different browser
Try a different computer

Finally got mine working...

Gluttony1
06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Competition finishes at midnight June 16th US West Coast Time -- but DONT leave uploads until the last day. Its YOUR responsibility to make sure you can upload your entry BEFORE the deadline.

Sorry, I'm still a little confused, as midnight can refer to both the beginning and end of a day. Although more commonly used to refer to the end of the day, would it be safe to assume that midnight June 16th means the time between June 16th 11:59:59:pm --> June 17th 12:00:01 am.

MikeHepburn
06-08-2011, 06:32 AM
There’s been some talk about an extension… I’m happy to reveal that there is a whole month more to get jiggy with your designs!

New deadline is July 18, Midnight (UTC-12) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212), 2011... or 23:59 on July 18 :)

So when the clock hits midnight (or 23:59) at the end of July 18, in the uninhabited islands of Baker Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Island) and Howland Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howland_Island), it will be time to put down your tools and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

But I strongly suggest you get your entries in before that! All sorts of potential disasters happen when you leave submissions to the last minute.

I also stumbled upon these links…

http://www.ted.com/talks/david_merrill_demos_siftables_the_smart_blocks.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

They are a couple of years old, but may spark some ideas.

Gluttony1
06-08-2011, 07:34 AM
There’s been some talk about an extension… I’m happy to reveal that there is a whole month more to get jiggy with your designs!

New deadline is July 18, Midnight (UTC-12) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212), 2011... or 23:59 on July 18 :)

Thanks for the extension, is there any particular reason that the competition has been extended?

mdmodeler
06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I just saw that the contest has been extended. I noticed the post above about entering multiple times and wasn't sure what that meaint. I don't think it means submitting multiple final images does it? Because I thought I saw another post here on the FAQ that said you could submit as many final images as you'd like but the last one posted would be considered by the judges as your final.
So could someone explain "enter multiple times" comment? Does this mean creating multiple CGSociety logins?

Thanks

Profeta
06-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I made the upload of my final image and noticed one error, is it possible to reupload/fix it? How can it be done? If not fixable, should I just upload a second one fixed?

Keenly
06-09-2011, 01:28 AM
You can upload as many 'final entries' before the deadline as you need and the judges will look at every entry separately.

jstaddon
06-09-2011, 02:05 AM
I hope the competition wasn't extended because there were too few concept stage submittals. I know that because it wasn't required I wasn't going to do it until the very end to unveil it's sudden glory, and others may be doing the same. Also, I kind of wanted it to be done... But now I HAVE to keep working on it.

Keenly
06-09-2011, 02:21 AM
I wasn't going to do it until the very end to unveil it's sudden glory

We strongly encourage all of you to upload WIP. It's not required this time, but it will be in future challenges.

Gluttony1
06-09-2011, 02:45 AM
You can upload as many 'final entries' before the deadline as you need and the judges will look at everything.

so I could submit 5 final entries for 1 product to demonstrate the product better? Or is it 1 final entry per final product? Thanks.

Keenly
06-09-2011, 03:13 AM
so I could submit 5 final entries for 1 product to demonstrate the product better? Or is it 1 final entry per final product? Thanks.

sorry i edited my post. your entries will each be judge separately.

Miked08
06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
With this extension, could it please be announced officially. On the NV Art main page it clearly says 3 MAY - 16 JUNE and therefore so many entrants cannot know about this extension.

Or has it been officially announced and I've missed it?

Gluttony1
06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Will there a limit to how long our product descriptions can be? As I feel that many people will be using that space to try to give you a concrete understanding of what our product will be capable of and how we will achieve it in the next 10 years. Thanks.

WildWill
06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I have tried with FireFox and IE 9, I click on upload my final image, it uploads.. then nothing... there is no image... The page askes me to crop my image for a preview thumbnail, but there is nothing there!?

My image resolution is correct, 2560x1600... What size are we aloud, my jpeg image is 3.6 Megs!?

Please, I have 2 days to upload what has taken me 1 week to complete!?!

Thanks!!

Will

WildWill
06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

I am trying to upload my final image for the competition, but it does not want to upload my image, It gets to the resize image for preview page... But does not upload my image!?

My image is the correct size 2560x1600 and 3.6 megs jpeg image!?! I have tried using IE9 and FireFox 3.6!?

HELP!!! I only have 2 days to get 1 weeks work entered!!

Thanks

Will

Miked08
06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Will, we have until the 18th of July, chill out :)

I'm not sure what the problem is when you try to upload your image but have you tried uploading a smaller sized file?

WildWill
06-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Will, we have until the 18th of July, chill out :)

I'm not sure what the problem is when you try to upload your image but have you tried uploading a smaller sized file?

Thank you!!!

I had spaces in my Image Title!! haha!! Good Grief!?!

;) Thanks!!

MikeHepburn
06-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Hi Miked08. The deadline is officially July 18. So time to whip up another masterpiece:)

Gluttony1, I don’t think there is a limit. However, I’d probably wouldn’t produce a phd thesis out of it, as the judges are pretty darn busy, so may not be in the mood to read a lengthy tome.

There’s been some talk about using NVIDIA logos. I’ve put in a request about the issue. No guarantees, but I’ll give it a good go.

tanis303d
06-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Can somebody make clear if Holograms are sci-fi or not cause a lot of images have holograms in them. I personally think that Holograms are sci-fi and shouldnt be in this competition.

Miked08
06-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Tanis, look up existing hologram technology. Some examples are basic but it is not unrealistic technology and therefore I would not consider that strictly in the science fiction department. We're allowed to push technology concepts a little.

Misucra
06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Well not really sci-fi, today's technology is getting closer and closer to creating holograms. Japanese already made the basics of touching holography and... damn they are making concerts there projected Hatsune Miku hologram is singing live to thousands of people. Give it a decade and you will have all this concept art works becoming real.

tanis303d
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Sorry but I am not getting covered by your replies I want one of the cgs staff member to answer me... And we are talking about portable devices for this competition not heavy huge thinks..

WimH
06-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi is it allowed for using real pictures and integrate a 3d model?

cheers

WildWill
06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi is it allowed for using real pictures and integrate a 3d model?

cheers

Hi,

I was wondering if I should rather build the environment in my image. Than have a matte painting in the background. It is a matte painting of real underwater stuff....!?

I was actually planning on building the underwater scene. I have built all of the fish/rocks/corals etc as 3d models.....

Will this be against me if I leave it like this. It is more the Dive Mask than the background!?

:)

Thanks

Will

chandro
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
NVART 06: MOVING INNOVATION

DEADLINE EXTENSION: 18 July, 2011

great!

MikeHepburn
06-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Just heard back from NVIDIA. Use of their logo in your submissions is allowed - please remain respectful of their brand!

Yay!

Romixer
06-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Can i fit 5 images in one image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

MarkSnoswell
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Can i fit 5 images in one image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

You can do anything you want... but judging is on artistic merit and I suspect that cramming 5 images into one may not result in the best artistic expression.

WildWill
06-15-2011, 04:09 PM
You can do anything you want... but judging is on artistic merit and I suspect that cramming 5 images into one may not result in the best artistic expression.

Hi,

I have taken out the photo based backing - of my final image. And am busy rendering the underwater scene.
Now it will all be 3d!

How do I swap my previous image for the updated one!??

Gluttony1
06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Just heard back from NVIDIA. Use of their logo in your submissions is allowed - please remain respectful of their brand!

Yay!

Do we get brownie points for using their logo =D

Keenly
06-16-2011, 04:00 AM
Everyone: remember this is a CG website not an invention website.

Can somebody make clear if Holograms are sci-fi or not cause a lot of images have holograms in them. I personally think that Holograms are sci-fi and shouldnt be in this competition.you can use holograms. (google 'holograms', the future is now!)

About 20 years ago my family went to a telecommunications museum and they had a hologram phone as the 'next big leap in phone technology' back then.

chandro
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi Mark
i wish to show my product features and also in different angle to show the button etc
but adding different images on my entry might look like a packaging design (usually found at back of the box) is it possible to post images one is the main entry and the other one is the features and details?

Zaptruder
06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi, I seem to be having issues uploading my entries.

I've tried three different browsers (Opera, Firefox and IE9) and they all exhibit the same issue. I've also updated to the latest flash thinking perhaps that might have been an issue...

This is an example of what's happening in Opera (similar in FF4 and IE9). Is this a temporary problem on the server? Or would I be able to upload my entries with the help of site staff?

http://i55.tinypic.com/nf1iyg.jpg

Gluttony1
06-16-2011, 08:24 PM
You can upload as many 'final entries' before the deadline as you need and the judges will look at every entry separately.

so I'm gonna guess no - use your space wisely...

Keenly
06-17-2011, 04:20 AM
is it possible to post images one is the main entry and the other one is the features and details?

as long as your 'main entry' stands alone.

has everyone looked at the past NVART challenges?
NVART 05 was to create transport for the future:
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5780

Asad3D
06-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Whats the date of the winners announcement please ?

Gluttony1
06-19-2011, 12:58 AM
In the NVArt 05 forums it is stated that people could use stock imagery. Should we consider all the responses that were given in the previous NVArt forums valid for this competition as well?

TimVir
06-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Hi people! Look my conception for NvArt 06.
Thanks.
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/TimVir/final_image/6819

Keenly
06-20-2011, 03:05 AM
This is an example of what's happening in Opera (similar in FF4 and IE9). Is this a temporary problem on the server? Or would I be able to upload my entries with the help of site staff?what's happening?.

but before you answer that, please look at my first post about failed uploads: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6986119&postcount=29

Note: I downloaded the image you posted above and attempted to upload it to the challenge and everything worked fine.

top3dart
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi
I upload wrong image in final image area and want to remove it. but there is not any way to remove it

kekeljevic
06-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I already posted one entry for Smart Badges:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/kekeljevic/final_image/6592
and have same problem because I submit image which isn't the final image and cannot change it any more. Is there a way to change final image and text?

HDReality
06-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Whats the date of the winners announcement please ?
yes whats its :banghead:

Keenly
06-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Whats the date of the winners announcement please ? We will let you know when we know.

Keenly
06-21-2011, 01:44 AM
I upload wrong image in final image area and want to remove it. but there is not any way to remove it That is correct, you cannot edit or delete your entries. you will just need to upload another one.

luisrosenstock
06-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I still have some doubts about this challenge.

Does it must be a product that could be manufactured in the future?

I am thinking of creating something to show how the devices technology is, not how it could be.

I don´t wanna create a new device, even why what doesn´t exist is nothing more than sci-fi for me, what is not allowed according to the challenge´s terms.

The informations are not quite clear about the challenge so I hope someone can help me :)

Thanks in advance

Keenly
06-28-2011, 01:39 AM
I still have some doubts about this challenge.Have a read of MikeHepburn's post: p=6975965&postcount=15 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6975965&postcount=15) and look at the Useful Inspiration (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/inspiration#jumpto).

you don't have to invent a new technology, that would be unrealistic.

errorbg
06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
is there some place to post my entry in CGSociety or i can just post in in my portfolio ?

Paularskog
06-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I can't down load my image. Could anyone help me? I have done everything based on the information for downloading. I need to get the final image in. Thanks Paul

Keenly
06-30-2011, 01:05 AM
is there some place to post my entry in CGSociety or i can just post in in my portfolio ? You must post your entry from the NVart Challenge page (under 'Events'):
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06

gamarala
06-30-2011, 06:32 PM
just making absolutely sure here..

It's not necessary to submit wip / concept pics right? all my concept stuff was done on paper.. wip images are ok though. but it's not really needed right?

And I can upload as many 'final' images as i want to my account and yet they will all be considered?

Kerneth
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
yeah or u can read the whole forum again where your question has been answered many times

gamarala
07-01-2011, 01:16 AM
-_- u r right.. just nervous.

erolan
07-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Can we use photo for presentation purposes. In my case I intend to use a photo of a nice lady taken from shutterstock and as they claim: Signed model release filed with Shutterstock Images LL?
Everything else (the device itslelf and environment) is entirely mine.

Ricfter
07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
How many final images can be upload

Gluttony1
07-10-2011, 11:11 AM
has nvidia given us a logo to use for them? or should we just go grab one off the interwebs and put a tooth pick it in it then get 5 gi-joes and pose them in an iwo jima moment?

Kevin-Comerford
07-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Quick question. How do I summit another entry without it taking priority over my previous? Do I just summit another Final Entry?

chandro
07-11-2011, 02:13 AM
is it alright to add link to my description?
wish to show some features using different images

Keenly
07-11-2011, 02:50 AM
is it alright to add link to my description?
wish to show some features using different images I suggest uploading the different images as 'concept art', this is where it will have the most impact.

chandro
07-11-2011, 04:09 AM
I suggest uploading the different images as 'concept art', this is where it will have the most impact.

Thanks! can you be more specific? do i have to upload 2 entry one for concept art and main image?

Keenly
07-11-2011, 04:51 AM
When you upload the image it will ask you to select 'concept art' or 'final entry'.
Upload you final, finished, 100% perfect polished final image entry as 'final entry'.
Upload all your supporting work as 'concept art'.

If you have created 2 completely different yet equally as great final entries and want to upload them under the same account, go for it.

If you have uploaded what you thought was your final entry, but have improved it and want to change it. Just upload it again (both will show up as final entries, but when the judges are judging they will figure it out).

bearfoot
07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
hi guys

is there a way to remove entries
i would need these removing
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/bearfoot/concept_art/6963
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/bearfoot/final_image/6965

and also i have an issue - the correct entry http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/bearfoot/final_image/6964 doesnt open at the full res only half res when i click the image.. does that mean
its the wrong resolution ? i uploaded the full resolution as specified.

thanks
n

gomzyp
07-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Hi,

Can u please specify the deadline for the submission with exact time at which the submissions will be closed.

MikeHepburn
07-15-2011, 12:33 AM
The deadline is approaching quickly! July 18, 23:59 (UTC-12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212:00)), 2011.

So when the clock hits 23:59 at the end of July 18, in the uninhabited islands of Baker Island and Howland Island, it will be time to put down your tools and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

But I STRONGLY suggest you get your entries in before that! All sorts of disasters happen when you leave submissions to the last minute. Polish that last pixel up, and upload that baby NOW ... Do it!!! Have you done it, yet? Do it!.. well, do it soon. Really soon!

I'll let you know soon when and where the winners will be announced.

retareq
07-15-2011, 05:10 PM
How do I calculate what the deadline time is for Eastern time zone ? I'm in Toronto, canada.

abeytwabey
07-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Hey, I've been trying to submit my image, but on the submission page, I can't crop any image to make the required thumbnail image. I believe this is what's preventing me from uploading anything. :( PLEASE HELP.

---SOLVED-- I had to make sure the picture name didn't have spaces. ^^"

voltz115
07-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Hey, I've been trying to submit my image, but on the submission page, I can't crop any image to make the required thumbnail image. I believe this is what's preventing me from uploading anything. :( PLEASE HELP.

Hi there,
I think you need to remove any special characters (such as dashes) out your title, and perhaps reduce the path name length, I suffered both these problems. I created a folder in the root of my drive to to submit my images, and this fixed that problem.
Kit

Arkaiko
07-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Hi guys,how you doing?

I would like to know if there is any problem with my entries.I've posted three entries at this moment (Graphidia Laptop, The Pregnancy Pulse and the Energyx Shoes) and in the list of entries submitted is only showing the Energyx Shoes! Is there a problem with the other entries?
Or It is a normal procedure, this happens for multiple entries of the same participant to does not occupy much space, I am really worried about it,I hope all is well,but If don't,please guys,tell me! =)

By the way ,sorry for my english, friends ^^!

Thanks for now,Cheers!

Johann - Arkaiko.

ava3
07-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Hey, I know this is an one entrant only contest, so is it against the rule to have a friend take a photograph of me?

gamarala
07-16-2011, 06:24 PM
can we explain what is happening in the picture ( as in, the functions of the device(s)) in the description or do we have to submit a short making of there?

foulless
07-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Hello, I'm ready with my work for this competition but when I star the upload procedure nothing happened. What is the problem? How can I fix this?

Note: I have a free registration in www.cgsociety.org! Is that the problem? Do I need to have a paid account to compete?

Regards

gamarala
07-17-2011, 05:06 PM
That's not going to be a problem. I uploaded my entry and it went just fine. <<I have a free account too btw. :| >>

foulless
07-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Well, everything is fine now. Don't know what was the problem.

Regards

cgworks
07-18-2011, 12:35 AM
hi
can plz someone of the staff members give me an answer

Can i upload two different final images for the same gadget/product?
when i say different i don't mean enhance the image in an artistic or technical way from the previous one ,
i mean a different approach of how to present your design

example : one final image shows how you use the product
and another final image of the same product but as a pack shot
and if yes how will the judges deside which one to look at for the contest
thank you in advance
sorry for my English if i made mistakes
p.s. i would be grateful if you can answer me as soon as possible because it is the 18th of July :-)

MikeHepburn
07-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Can i upload two different final images for the same gadget/product?
when i say different i don't mean enhance the image in an artistic or technical way from the previous one ,
i mean a different approach of how to present your design
:-)

Yes you may, but I strongly suggest if you are not sure about one of them, don't submit it. Only submit the images you love :)

Kerneth
07-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Your question has being ask before and answer many times before just browse through the Faqs forum here... you'll find it.

good luck to everyone

Ricfter
07-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Hi, I woud like to remove an image were i show a game over my concept. How can I do. I'ts an image from a game that I thought was in GPL.

I uploaded as concept because it was not the final image.

Sorry. The image archive name is: CGchallenge14RBD.jpg

indu111
07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey!
M done with the final image for NVART Moving Innovation...but i don't exactly see where can i submit it....can i submit it now ??
Anyone could asap post the link where the final image should be submitted??? :)

ThirdProdigy
07-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for the link as well- is the contest closed? It shouldn't be yet...

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 01:18 PM
It's just 14:17 in Hungary! Where are you that the Deadline has arrived? I can't upload anything... :cry:

davek1979
07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
It's just 14:17 in Hungary! Where are you that the Deadline has arrived? I can't upload anything... :cry:
We are all on Baker Island, why are you in Budapest ?

dh38
07-18-2011, 01:47 PM
hi mike,

it seems a few of us are having problems with the submit button not appearing on the Challenge Home page; we still have a few hours to upload, can someone help us sort this out? i don't know about others, but i've tried different computers, and different browsers to no avail.

many thanks.

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
We are all on Baker Island, why are you in Budapest ?
I Live here... What did you think? :D

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 01:49 PM
hi mike,

it seems a few of us are having problems with the submit button not appearing on the Challenge Home page; we still have a few hours to upload, can someone help us sort this out? i don't know about others, but i've tried different computers, and different browsers to no avail.

many thanks.

Same problem... :S

iYo
07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
:cry: huhuhu..

Kevin-Comerford
07-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Same problem. According to the deadline cutoff time, it's still open. What's going on?

Neo300487
07-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi!

Any news about submiting? Is there an email adresse where we could send our work?

Thanks in advance.

Romixer
07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Hey i cant find submit button help me please upload final image!!!peaplee!!!1

YunalZobu
07-18-2011, 03:31 PM
same problem here! I hope it gets fixed soon or at least they extend the ddl.. otherwise it just wouldn't be fair to many ppl

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 03:38 PM
I have just written a mail. They probably don't answer yet, because it's 2:36 there (or not :D) I don't know the exact location and the GMT where they are, but I hope they will answer for us soon...

davek1979
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
I Live here... What did you think? :D
You see, we are all on Baker Island, because we didn't wait until the last day to upload our entries.
You know, **** happens and it seems it did.

To explain:
Mike Hepburn said: "The deadline is approaching quickly! July 18, 23:59 (UTC-12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212:00)), 2011.So when the clock hits 23:59 at the end of July 18, in the uninhabited islands of Baker Island and Howland Island, it will be time to put down your tools and enjoy the fruits of your labor!"
Quick googling of Baker Island would tell you there is no timezone attached to this island, therefore it's anyone's guess what the deadline really is.
That was confusing, but I was pretty sure uploading my entry a safe 24 hours before anyone's guess would yield satisfactory results. And it did.

Romixer
07-18-2011, 03:40 PM
I realy houp i steel can submit my final image....sou wee need answer///

Neo300487
07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
You see, we are all on Baker Island, because we didn't wait until the last day to upload our entries.

To explain:
Mike Hepburn said: "The deadline is approaching quickly! July 18, 23:59 (UTC-12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%E2%88%9212:00)), 2011.So when the clock hits 23:59 at the end of July 18, in the uninhabited islands of Baker Island and Howland Island, it will be time to put down your tools and enjoy the fruits of your labor!"
Quick googling of Baker Island would tell you there is no timezone attached to this island, therefore it's anyone's guess what the deadline really is.
That was confusing, but I was pretty sure uploading my entry a safe 24 hours before anyone's guess would yield satisfactory results. And it did.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=42241

But i'am sure you know it...

davek1979
07-18-2011, 03:45 PM

That's why I said it was confusing.

lmpi16
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Is there any chance to submit my entry ? I started it today in the morning and it will be ready after a few hours .

Romixer
07-18-2011, 03:49 PM
SO wee CAN upload but whe are the button Ou cmon///Need help hare

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 03:50 PM

To explain:

Ok I see! But if it's true, what Mike sad, that means that it's just July 18, 2:47 in UTC-12. In this case the deadline didn't come yet because we still have about 21 hours left...

So what exactly happened?

Romixer
07-18-2011, 03:54 PM
SO any body can submit???

chandro
07-18-2011, 04:03 PM
cant see any submit button too
i did some adjustment with my final entry and wish to submit a concept page
hope to hear from the admin

siniki
the thread is closed for everybody ... but i think in a few hours they will reopen it. this must be a fail- because we already got 20 hours left

davek1979
Ok I see! But if it's true, what Mike sad, that means that it's just July 18, 2:47 in UTC-12. In this case the deadline didn't come yet because we still have about 21 hours left...

So what exactly happened?
It looks like the script running on the server, that automatically closed the challenge (if it was a script) was set up for an incorrect timezone.

Romixer
07-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Houp so bcose 18 july now and peaple cant upload/

reybies
07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Admin help us...We need to submit our works......

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 04:10 PM

That's the point... ;)

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 04:19 PM
It looks like the script running on the server, that automatically closed the challenge (if it was a script) was set up for an incorrect timezone.

Yepp that was my second idea. The first one was that I had f#cked up... :D

vime
07-18-2011, 04:59 PM
previosly i think that possible load the images all 18 July day. now see :cry: that end day and time will be 17 July 23:59...

Romixer
07-18-2011, 05:07 PM
18 july are included .....ADMINs NEED HELP HARE!!

retareq
07-18-2011, 05:08 PM
I read all the posts and found out the deadline was at July 18 23:59 on utc12. That is 8 am tuesday morning here in toronto. I spent so much time on my project already and now I cannot upload ? Come on now.

I demand another extension for this mess up and adding to our miseries. All the people who support me post extension below to show your support.

Romixer
07-18-2011, 05:12 PM
You are not alone///many peaple cant upload final images so wee witing ADMINS HARE! :wip: :wip: :wip:

PI3c3
07-18-2011, 05:19 PM
I read all the posts and found out the deadline was at July 18 23:59 on utc12. That is 8 am tuesday morning here in toronto. I spent so much time on my project already and now I cannot upload ? Come on now.

I demand another extension for this mess up and adding to our miseries. All the people who support me post extension below to show your support.

It's UTC -12... This means that UTC 0-12... So in real it's just 5:18 in UTC-12 time zone... So we have a lot of time... Or not... -.-

chandro
07-18-2011, 05:20 PM
i think theyre working on it now, just continue on your work
and upload as soon they fix it

Cymps
07-18-2011, 05:22 PM
hi, it's still july 18th and the submit button is gone. I'm relieved to see I haven't missed the deadline and that other experience the same error.

please re enable the submit button to the until the correct deadline. the rules are usually strict and usually dont bend even in cases of system errors! so i fear that being late because of this error will actually prevent my entry from participating!

Cymps
07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
hi, it's still july 18th and the submit button is gone. I'm relieved to see I haven't missed the deadline and that other experience the same error.

please re enable the submit button to the until the correct deadline. the rules are usually strict and usually dont bend even in cases of system errors! so i fear that being late because of this error will actually prevent my entry from participating!

iYo
07-18-2011, 06:15 PM
i think theyre working on it now, just continue on your work
and upload as soon they fix it

i hope you were right

ThirdProdigy
07-18-2011, 06:22 PM
You can post it at least as a comment under your concept or final. If they don't get it fixed, it may not qualify (admin must answer that) but at least its posted??

GreenBot
07-18-2011, 08:10 PM
The button for submitting my image has also disappeared for me. It seems someone had it close on the 17th 11:59PM Baker Island time instead of 18th 11:59PM Baker Island time like it was supposed to. We should get an extension for this mistake happening. Please fix this.

kaldorian
07-18-2011, 08:29 PM
according to announcements.. well, we have alot of time
I wish they fix it and announce it here quickly.
goodluck everyone:)

Romixer
07-18-2011, 09:09 PM
hey one man add hes work how?

Iovokitangra
07-18-2011, 09:42 PM
I hope they fix it soon.

siniki
07-18-2011, 10:31 PM
i`m pretty sure they fix it! but the cgsociety staff is from adalaine, australia ... they got 07:00 o`clock in the morning. maybe we have to wait a few hours...

Dungeon-master
07-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi guys, i´m waiting too that cgsociety´s staff fix it to be able to submit my final work. Please hurry up!!. I have worked very hard to finish on time.

reybies
07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
guys there is a new submitted entry ..... how they do that? hmmm........

Vem
07-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Nice to read, that I´m not alone with this problem. :beer:

kaldorian
07-18-2011, 10:48 PM
some people have chance to submit?.. mm perhaps random?...
no you are not alone but I have to say its abit stomach hewing:(

seanser
07-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Have any admins commented anywhere, I'm in the same boat and unfortunately I'm without internet at home at the moment, I've come to a friend's house with the sole purpose of uploading my entry. I suppose this is what happens when you leave things last minute:(

iYo
07-18-2011, 11:14 PM
many of us tend to submit our work on the last minute.

i hope they will fix this soon

retareq
07-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Little over 12 hours left and still nothing...

I mean this is when maya should crash and we get render errors but not uploading errors :cry:

PI3c3
07-19-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm sure they will understand our problem, so they will give us a few hours to upload our works... Now we just have to wait for them, so they can solve that little issue for us...

MikeHepburn
07-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi all,

Yep, there is still time! Working on the missing button issue now.

SEL
07-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I too spent a ton of time on this challenge to get something really nice, It would be great to get the link working so I can upload before the 18th is over. I dont want to get disqualified and I figured submitting 8 hours early was fine as its only 4pm here in CA and the 18th!

Please advise! Thank you.

Shaun

iYo
07-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi all,

Yep, there is still time! Working on the missing button issue now.

thats quite a relief :cry:

dh38
07-19-2011, 12:59 AM
hi everyone, button appears to be working, just in time... whew!
thanks, good luck to all.

Dungeon-master
07-19-2011, 01:11 AM
I´m trying to submit my artwork but i can´t select a thumbnail. What can i do?. Can i upload my image without this thumbnail?.
Thanks in advance and i hope reply soon, please.

Iovokitangra
07-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Same here. Can't select a thumbnail. Given that I am already half through the process, I am sending it as is. I hope I'll be able to fix it later.

Romixer
07-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Can't select a thumbnail? ///To fix it change the name if it have the space it helps me!

Dungeon-master
07-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Same here. Can't select a thumbnail. Given that I am already half through the process, I am sending it as is. I hope I'll be able to fix it later.

I got upload my image, the filename mustn´t include spaces to be able submit it successfully.
Best regards and good luck to everyone.

Iovokitangra
07-19-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks, Dungeon-Master, but there are no spaces. Tried 3 different browsers. Oh well...

Romixer
07-19-2011, 01:50 AM
try to use some latin letters

Iovokitangra
07-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Ok, exported once again the file and now it worked!! What do you know!
Thanks for the support!

BebeteLANUITE
07-19-2011, 02:30 AM
I posted my images. I go to bed.
I saw very good work there.

Good luck to all challengers !!! :-)

kekeljevic
07-19-2011, 07:05 AM
These last days are quite interesting. Good luck all. It was great competing with you.

vime
07-19-2011, 09:14 AM
yes, i see button Join Challenge =)!

PI3c3
07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
I got an answer mail. They made a mistake... :D They sad that they were doing smart things, but they couldn't tell the time... :D So know they set the timer correctly know... ;)

So everything is fine know...

Good luck for all entrants ;) gog0GO!

lmpi16
07-19-2011, 01:16 PM
How many final entries can you have one or multiple ?

gamarala
07-19-2011, 01:38 PM
multiple .. just upload the entries and select final image.

chandro
07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
is this extended? the upload button still there

Arkaiko
07-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes,look is extended to 19 july Local time Island Howland...niceeee!!

retareq
07-19-2011, 09:08 PM
So how much time is left ? Maybe I'll make some edits...

cgworks
07-19-2011, 09:48 PM
i think it ends at 11:59pm
according to the site "All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 PM."
so according to that if i am correct you have 3 hours and 20 minutes to do your edits
not sure though hope this helps

retareq
07-19-2011, 10:04 PM
It's all good. 3-4 hours means it will be another stressful run. I'll pass. Thanks for the information.

cgworks
07-19-2011, 10:30 PM
once again i would like to say that i am not 100% sure about the end time
it is an assumption based on logic
because acoording to cg cosiety the contest should've ended at 18 th of july at 11:59
so it is safe to assume that it ends 19th because of all the mix up but at the same time

hope this helps

good luck to all :-)

Jonatan-Moonchild
07-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Yesterday, after my last upload I went with my girlfriend to the cinema and... I did something I've never done - I fell asleep for part of the movie :). That was a result of recent sleepless nights :). But this was a good time and a great pleasure to compete with You. It was also opportunity to incrase skills - now is the time to analyze and draw conclusions to be better in the future. Good luck to all! :)

ICD
07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Hello,
It seems the end time was 19 @ 00:00 UTC. Google for UTC time, I'm not quite utc proof neither but it sounds even :)
Good luck !

veldara
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
bad luck for me, it expected to be finished until 19 July, 2011. lost a whole day

time in Baker Island, Baker Island
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:36 PM

Sorry for my poor English!

davek1979
07-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm sure CGS learned its lesson and will set the next deadline according to Sydney time or something easily checked. Better even, why not run a countdown timer on the event's main page ? Dead easy to implement. :wise:

Dungeon-master
07-20-2011, 01:09 PM
At first, good luck to everyone. One question for cgsosiety´staff, Could you say me when you proclaim contest decision approximately, please?.

Thanks in advance.

gamarala
07-20-2011, 01:59 PM
going by the earlier contests i think it'll take 2-3 weeks...

ICD
07-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Question:
It's only judged on artistic merits, or the design & concept matters also ? I was guided by the useful inspiration images which are mainly studio design renders of concepts. Was that wrong ?
Thanks

iYo
07-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Question:
It's only judged on artistic merits, or the design & concept matters also ? I was guided by the useful inspiration images which are mainly studio design renders of concepts. Was that wrong ?
Thanks

based on my own understanding of the theme it will be judge both in design&concept and how you present it(artistic merit). i think almost 90% of the entry were guided by other concepts. Good luck to you.

My question is when can we know who are the winners.

ICD
07-20-2011, 03:06 PM
based on my own understanding of the theme it will be judge both in design&concept and how you present it(artistic merit). i think almost 90% of the entry were guided by other concepts. Good luck to you.

My question is when can we know who are the winners.

I didn't said that I was inspired or i based my concept on something as it's distinct.
I just said that most of inspirational images were industrial designs rendered on a studio setup. So, many people presented in the same fashion. I'm not one of those 90% you say about, as my design is unique, realistically attainable in 10 years or less and it basically can change the way mobility is viewed so it is groundbraking. It's just not presented in a highly artistic way, but it well proves a concept.

I'm curious about the outcome also.

buubu
07-20-2011, 03:13 PM
when will be declared the winners? :bounce:

pistoltoto
07-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Hello from romania,
same question: when will be declared the winners?

PI3c3
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
when will be declared the winners? :bounce:

I wanted to ask too... How long does the judgement method take?

A week or two or less or more? :D

Wyszolmirski
07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
In previous competitions winners were announced after around one month, and if you're one of the winners, you will know it before that happens. Basically once winners are chosen, CGS is contacting them to confirm everything.

So if in 2-3 weeks you will get email from CGS, you're the happy one :).

PI3c3
07-20-2011, 09:38 PM
In previous competitions winners were announced after around one month, and if you're one of the winners, you will know it before that happens. Basically once winners are chosen, CGS is contacting them to confirm everything.

So if in 2-3 weeks you will get email from CGS, you're the happy one :).

Oh... It's good to read this... Thank you... ;)

TOMAHAWK8080
07-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Good luck to everyone, I definitely had fun. I for one think the best way to improve your skills is to challenge yourself. Compete, compete, compete!
I sure learned a lot from this competition. :beer:

Keenly
07-21-2011, 02:25 AM
G'day Everyone.

As you know the challenge is now closed, information about the judging will be coming soon.

So many amazing images to look at. Good Luck everyone!

Arkaiko
07-21-2011, 02:48 AM
G'day Everyone.

As you know the challenge is now closed, information about the judging will be coming soon.

Thanks for you support Rhys!

Ytnem
07-22-2011, 07:42 PM
G'day Everyone.

I was wondering about my entry, I submitted it at the correct aspect ratio and guidelines, but instead of landscape its portrait. I would still be eligible for the competition even though I had the values reversed wouldn't I?

lmpi16
07-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I prefer these events to be blind in the future . Especially after someone's entry after mine.

jstaddon
07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
It's nice to see what other people are submitting. You can get a sense of what you're up against and it pushes you to work harder at making a really great image.

Rez007
07-25-2011, 03:00 PM
I prefer these events to be blind in the future . Especially after someone's entry after mine.

That is why I try my best to not even look at the gallery images until I am done - to keep others' ideas from influencing my own. There are chances that someone's idea might be similar to someone elses, especially with this theme. Depending on the time taken on developement, outside factors, and complication of one's image from another's can lead to different submission times. Then again, some people hold on to their images until the very end, just for the reason you mentioned above...I wouldn't feel bad though if someone came up with something similar to yours. If you finished yours, and feel that you did the best you could, then you should feel proud that you completed it within the deadline - a lot of people don't. If the judges see yours stand above the rest, then you will be recognized.

TimVir
07-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi guys. What are you thinking about my idea?
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/TimVir/final_image/6812

reybies
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
sorry for my post.

good luck to all..........

TheEin
07-25-2011, 09:33 PM
3 of my special features were on the other entries.

1. digital distance meter
2. mini-weighing scale
3. heat/thermal detector/scanner

I hope the judge will check the time of posting.

good luck to all..........
My entry doesnt have any of those but imho it is rediculous to assume that other people derive olny from your work, cmon there is a whole world out there and nither are those features invented by you.Otherwise it would be like ones who join 1st take most ideas and others are supposed to think of something that is just not posted at momnt

lmpi16
07-26-2011, 01:46 PM
That is why I try my best to not even look at the gallery images until I am done - to keep others' ideas from influencing my own. There are chances that someone's idea might be similar to someone elses, especially with this theme. Depending on the time taken on developement, outside factors, and complication of one's image from another's can lead to different submission times. Then again, some people hold on to their images until the very end, just for the reason you mentioned above...I wouldn't feel bad though if someone came up with something similar to yours. If you finished yours, and feel that you did the best you could, then you should feel proud that you completed it within the deadline - a lot of people don't. If the judges see yours stand above the rest, then you will be recognized.

I did this too and after i finished my work i looked to make sure that there isn't something similar to my idea before posting. But one day after posting i saw something very very similar to my work . There is no excuse for plagiarism. I know people who are gods in 3d applications and their experience began since the 3d but their level of creativity is total zero. How would you feel if someone takes your idea , modifies it a little bit and and post it . We should make the difference between creativity and skills . I am sure if the next contest is blind, from 100 entries 50 will be modified images of the banner of the contest but the other 50 will be very original and unique ideas.

Rez007
07-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I did this too and after i finished my work i looked to make sure that there isn't something similar to my idea before posting. But one day after posting i saw something very very similar to my work . There is no excuse for plagiarism. I know people who are gods in 3d applications and their experience began since the 3d but their level of creativity is total zero. How would you feel if someone takes your idea , modifies it a little bit and and post it . We should make the difference between creativity and skills . I am sure if the next contest is blind, from 100 entries 50 will be modified images of the banner of the contest but the other 50 will be very original and unique ideas.

I agree, I wouldn't be too happy either, but that is not the point I was trying to make. I am just saying, you cannot assume that once an image is posted that the creator of that image reserves the "rights" to all ideas there-of, otherwise "TheEin" who posted right above us is right...The people who enter first and post something that maybe takes a day or so to make regardless of quality, is not fair to others that they have to keep looking at the gallery and changing ideas, because who is to say which artist is expressing it in the best fashion, or maybe they were not aware that something similar was just posted. (Now, I am expressing my logic here based on pure coinsidence of images being similar to eachother because of certain technologies, your case might be different.) I was just iterating, that with a topic of "...portable technology that is feasible in 10 years from now" chances are pretty good that something will be similar...it happened to me as well, I am just hoping that mine stands above the rest of the images. Best of luck.

ICD
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I think the contests are good as they are.
Maybe if your idea is easily copied, it isn't original enough or good enough. I guess no one will copy a very original idea cause it would be so obvious and good works are hard to match anyway.

Romixer
07-26-2011, 10:01 PM

ITS JUST CANT BY!
3d are the decorations like.you cant by good at 3d without creativity.
And really you must be happy if someone find good thinks from yours low quality render. :twisted:
lmpi16
I mean by more positive when you share something out.

lmpi16
07-26-2011, 10:24 PM
ITS JUST CANT BY!
3d are the decorations like.you cant by good at 3d withaut creativity.
And really you must be happy if someone take some ideas from yours low quality render. :twisted:

Under creativity you must understand something original and not taken from others little boy or girl or whatever :D . Have you seen portfolio of 3d artist only of already created concepts or already existent objects like cars , devices, buildings etc. They are plenty. I've had teachers in cg software who admitted their "lack of creativity". Don't take out the word "creativity" out of the context . Are we cool now ? :D

Romixer
07-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Lets take a look at something very very similar to you work. :hmm:
"similar" it very abstract i think!
any way lets take a look

Gluttony1
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
-Einstein

Romixer
07-27-2011, 01:42 AM
OK hare fun part...
Hare are good exemple with two top artist..
Are we cool now ? :arteest:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4106/frankfrazetta.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/frankfrazetta.jpg/)

lmpi16
07-27-2011, 09:43 AM
I have the feeling i have conversation with retards :) . How can you explain me that couples of months there wasn't entry even close to mine as idea. Couples of hours after i posted my entry it pop up entry in which it is more easy to tell the differences than the similiarities to mine .Even the colors are the same in some elements. And this is the only entry of this author . Even the colors are the same in some elements. Its obvious. You two give me some ABSTRACT exapmles like " the secret of creativity .." and two f*cking images that hasn't any place here and call me my opinions abstract when i talk about exact competition whit exact theme with exact idea with exact two entries (and i won't show who i think had a little bit of plagiarism) . You both now can stop writing BS because if you have a little brain in your heads you will see that this isn't going anywhere .

gamarala
07-27-2011, 10:52 AM
@lmpi16 I can understand ur frustration at some guy who copied your masterpiece and rehashed it to get in on the competition. :shrug: however, since the guys who judge this didn't start CG yesterday, I'm pretty sure they'll see whether any entry is a copy of another or not. So just chill and have fun till your results come. :beer:

and btw even the CGchallenge is not a blind competition. There you actually have WIP threads where artists help eachother all the time. These competitions are all about you growing as an artist. taking on projects and trying to actually finish them. As cheesy as this may sound, winning isn't everything.

also, calling other people retards and these 'brain' comments aren't going to take you anywhere fast. :rolleyes:

Gluttony1
07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I have the feeling i have conversation with retards :) . How can you explain me that couples of months there wasn't entry even close to mine as idea. Couples of hours after i posted my entry it pop up entry in which it is more easy to tell the differences than the similiarities to mine .Even the colors are the same in some elements. And this is the only entry of this author . Even the colors are the same in some elements. Its obvious. You two give me some ABSTRACT exapmles like " the secret of creativity .." and two f*cking images that hasn't any place here and call me my opinions abstract when i talk about exact competition whit exact theme with exact idea with exact two entries (and i won't show who i think had a little bit of plagiarism) . You both now can stop writing BS because if you have a little brain in your heads you will see that this isn't going anywhere .

I'm sorry for your frustrations and to help you understand the interpretation of the quote by Albert Einstein (who was supposedly a pretty smart dude). All artists sample other artists, the notion of an completely original idea is pretty far fetched imo. As we go about our everyday lives we are constantly bombarded with designs, that will leave an artistic finger print on us without even knowing it. Back to artists sampling other artists, there is a fine line between plagiarism and reference material. What not-horribly bad concept artist goes about creating a new concept without any reference material? To be quite frank, as far as this contest went without going back and counting them, there are probably 10-15 concepts and all the entries are a variation of those 10-15 concepts. It must be hard to see someone have the same idea as you, but if you post yours then 1 day later someone posts the same idea and does an amazing job of it, do you really think they saw your concept and in 24 hours ripped out this amazing work? Or were they working on this concept the entire time and it is merely a coincidence that it was posted after yours? As far as color schemes go... theres only 12 colors plus black and white... then you get your tints and your tones... and then you have your color schemes, which fall into the broad category of warm, cool, or neutral... then you get more specific color schemes, complementary, split complementary, double split complementary, triadic, monochromatic, analogous, and achromatic (not sure if I missed any if I did chime in) there are a lot of schemes to choose from, but inevitably there are not infinite.

As far as concepts go and people copying yours, mine probably lies somewhere in the category of Augmented Reality goggles, not even close to an original concept, this concept has been around for YEARS, I just put my own spin on it. Mine was not the first concept pertaining to augmented reality goggles submitted to the contest, does that mean I copied from the people who submitted augmented reality goggles before me and am guilty of plagiarism? If so, then the people who submitted before me would also be guilty of plagiarism, but from who? If we cant figure out who we copied does that mean its alright? What about if the people viewing your work cant figure out where you have borrowed artistic elements, is that alright? What is borrowing elements, where do we draw the line between liking a form or idea, or line, or use of negative space, or ability to draw the eye towards a focal point? In the end, short of the Woman of Willendorf and paleolithic cave drawings, there havnt been that many pieces of completely original art since the beginning of the Roman empire

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
-Albert Einstein

Neo300487
07-27-2011, 12:09 PM
To much talking. Think pragmatic.
If the copy win the contest, then you will have to comlain.
Else, it's just another try...

Romixer
07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
lmpi16
Very angry little boy or girl or whatever. :D

chandro
07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
let me share my 2 cents
our theme is
We want to explore your vision of the future of moving innovation. Make it artistic and awe-inspiring, but make it something we can all aspire to in the decade to come. Not sci-fi...
In addition to prizes for best artistic imagery, there will be a special prize for the best product visualization.
we all know that most the concept here is somehow in development stage already
and as an artist were here to make that product much appealing through visual and give some twist to it.
heres are some concepts after a few browsing

Mobile Phone with hologram
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/intel-and-nokia-researching-sci-fi-3d-ui-and-holograms-for-cellphones-20100824/
http://www.itechwhiz.com/2011/01/3d-hologram-technology-on-mobile-phone.html
Mobile Phone with projector
http://www.hardwaresphere.com/2009/12/29/logic-bolt-1-5-lcos-projector-phone/
http://www.androidauthority.com/the-android-projector-phones-are-coming-13848/
Wireless plug
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-460602/The-end-plug-Scientists-invent-wireless-device-beams-electricity-home.html
LED outwear
http://www.geeksugar.com/Tech-Fashion-Light-Emitting-Diode-Dress-309527
http://www.thestylecatcher.com/2010/08/16/high-tech-fashion-do-fashion-and-technology-mix/
Goggles
http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20110720/virtual-reality-coming-sony-playstation-2/
http://www.links999.net/technology/virtual_reality/VR_hardware.html
Flexible phones/computer
http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/kyoceras_flexible_folding_phone_concept_13184.asp
http://www.nokiamobilephones.org/nokia-mobile-patente-flexible.html
Bracelet computer
http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/concept-sony-bracelet-computer-25-05-2010/
Foldable computers/sliding features
http://www.concept-phones.com/page/3/?s=tablet+concept
http://www.spicytec.com/2010/11/nvue-mobile-phone.html
http://sky-infotech.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-concept-of-foldable-mobile.html
Finger touching thru projection
http://cellphones.techfresh.net/finger-touching-wearable-mobile-device/

some cool stuff
http://expressonnet.blogspot.com/2011/07/weather-phone.html

and a lot more!