PDA

View Full Version : FAQs

Pages : 1 [2]

ICD
07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
chandro, nice post, it shows how precious a good designer/artist actually is.
There is an army of copy cats and a few creators.

chandro
07-28-2011, 05:36 PM
chandro, nice post, it shows how precious a good designer/artist actually is.
There is an army of copy cats and a few creators.

hope you didn't misinterpret my post
my point is almost all the concept you can think of has been created already (if its not sci-fi technology)

so basically most of the entries are artistically/aesthetically modified version(making it smaller/portable or mixing the technology) of existed concept. like what we have in "useful inspiration"

Mobile CPU
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2258019,00.asp
Portable CPU
http://www.tipandtrick.net/2009/fit-pc2-worlds-smallest-pc-by-compulab-with-intel-atom-z530/
http://www.sinhalaya.com/nimnaya/index.php?topic=305.0
Digital Guitar
http://stupiddope.com/2011/02/21/misa-kitara-digital-guitar/
Potable scooter/bike
http://www.designbuzz.com/entry/skoota-portable-electric-scooter-allows-zero-emission-ride/
http://www.a2xtreme.com/2000/0028c.htm
http://www.tuvie.com/backpack-bicycle-portable-bike-anytime-anywhere/

ICD
07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Nice that you tried to find my entry somewhere. You can't find something like that, I came up with it, not from search engines, which I can't say about a mobile phone variations or others. That's why I was saying about the army of copycats and a few creators. I try hard to create something new, every time as that is what makes us go further. Variations many people can do, that's why there are engineers and low level designers.

For example, probably many people today think about the wheel like it's normal and oh..so logic. It is not, it's a great invention, the first, in fact and if you raise some people since birth, isolated, you have a minute chance that some of them will reinvent the wheel once they mature :). But if you show them the wheel, they will start painting it different colors and think further, what they can do with it...assuming they know how to talk and have a purpose.
Same is with anything, nothing is like the first, the first is the inception and the one who made it is the creator of what follows - a new development/universe/world.

I think that before someone invented the wheel, his fellows used to use trees for rolling things on them from place to place, or rounded wood of some sort and when THE ONE invented the wheel, some of those fellows who used trees said that he didn't do nothing, just put a hole in a tree section and used two of them to roll things, without moving the whole axle, like what a big deal. They probably said he didn't invented nothing as that is just the same tree, same thing, basically, same material just differently used :). In fact he made the greatest inventions, but these are the most of the people, they don't like to admit that some among them, actually are better, smarter.
In modern times, again, someone actually invented the iPhone, it didn't popped up, someone invented iTunes, they didn't emerged from nowhere, someone invented the mouse you use to draw things now and so on, always there was a first. Before iPhone, there were screens, there were normal phones, software, trees, wheels and everything, before iTunes, there was internet, before mouse, there were probably other means of drawing a line, before keyboard as we know it today, there were buttons, so on........BUT ! Is not the same thing.

I didn't misunderstood what you want to say, we probably try to say two different things, at the same time :). You say that an idea can pop in the heads of two or more individuals in the same time, approx, or that someone had it long before, independently. That's true, it can be, but there is always a first in everything and especially in those that count most or have the power to change things, in better. I just say that if an idea comes in the minds of many, then that idea is rather common, not of a great value anyway and not "genius" meaning original, valuable problem-solving market opener thing. Many people can have ideas, but some are expected to have the best of them and those count, that's what I say, copy cats with different colors, everyone with some skills can do.

"my point is almost all the concept you can think of has been created already"
sounds like:
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899

Well, since 1899 a few things were invented, I suppose :lightbulb.
Nice post, I wrote you a poem for it :)

TheEin
07-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I just hope they`ll anounce soon some info)Im soo anxious) What whould be superb is if in the gallery judjes could put coments on top of our works and after winner anouncements we could read those opinions )

chandro
07-29-2011, 04:12 AM
Nice that you tried to find my entry somewhere. You can't find something like that, I came up with it, not from search engines, which I can't say about a mobile phone variations or others. That's why I was saying about the army of copycats and a few creators. I try hard to create something new.....
Well, since 1899 a few things were invented, I suppose :lightbulb.
Nice post, I wrote you a poem for it :)

yes and quite lengthy :)
hope youll consider this as a healthy conversation and just sharpening our opinionated minds.
(i apologize to those who subscribe in this thread )
but like what i said most of the entries and probably all are modified version of existing concept (even mine)
if making a product much portable is an original idea then im wrong
like internal external hardrive after a while someone created external hardrive
and later someone release much smaller and bigger storage and another all in one

if someone release a powerful processor/hardware and you make that external
and release it will make it original?
most of this creator has the capability to make it external but for marketing reason
they decide not to.

like this Tegra
http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-2.html
and later
http://www.slashgear.com/trim-slice-tegra-2-ultra-compact-desktop-gets-video-demo-04137807/

and if someone release much faster and smaller

Tegra 3,4,5 will arise

ICD
07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Well don't worry, Is constructive, not a fight or something :)
I see that Tegra now and I can see why it's a fail. What I made, is different, is something complete, something that people will buy for multiple reasons and cause it's cool.
And yes, I guess if someone releases something as a first it's original. iPhone is original, after it, Nokia, Samsung, Motorola and everybody followed ! They're not originals, the definition of a smartphone was given by the first and the rest are copy cats, variations on the same theme, at different prices. They solved a market problem, offering numbers and choices, very good, but the designs can't say are original, they didn't innovate too much at the scale iPhone did when first released.

My design offers flexibility and doesn't try to eliminate anything on the market, just complete it. Is something that can carry your digital world with you, with ease and style, everywhere you go, without affecting the rest and with multiple functions, while giving you multiple options at the same time and it can be done.

Devices like Tegra try to replace the desktop computers but that can't be replaced. Is just too flexible, too good. Even if components will be super efficient and same power of current cpu's will be on mobiles, then in your desktop will be a supercomputer, by comparison. To think that people will throw their desktops and laptops is a lack of vision, no matter how many fancy looks you throw around or how many big words you use, is still a fail :). It will probably be used somewhere, but not mainstream. You see, when the reporter asks the dude about his vision, he says he hardly can tell about the future. Well that equals with throwing yourself off some cliffs, with your eyes tied, knowing that down there is a water....somewhere but you hardly can say where :).

Jonatan-Moonchild
07-29-2011, 10:30 AM
I would like to add a few words to Your (chandro and ICD) constructive discussion. In my opinion both of You are right in some aspects. On the one hand - yes, there is always only one man / team who can say: " I / we discovered (created) this as the first one". On the other hand this man / team ALWAYS uses the achievements of predecessors. Albert Einstein made ​​a great step forward but from a place, to which his predecessors had come. Without the past, it would not be present in its current (great in my opinion) form.
However, we - as participants in this particular competition - shouldn't forget that technical innovation is just one aspect. And it's important but not the most important, because it's primarily an art competition.

Ps. I hope my english is good enough to understand me (Google translator is a great tool ;) ).

pistoltoto
07-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Hello, I'm from Romania

I participated in the contest, with the image http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/pistoltoto/final_image/9997164

I wish success to all participants!

By the way, there are others who work in Blender here?!:P

chandro
07-29-2011, 12:59 PM
yes Jonatan
were just exploring a topic :)
we can use some socializing (coffee shop is much appropriate though)
its pretty understandable that were married to our concept (otherwise how can we sell them?)
but just for argument sake
if you were able to release such concept product
you have to convince all the computer/all digital manufacturers
to make a customize port to accommodate such concept
just a list for computers manufacturers (mobile/digital cameras not included)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_system_manufacturers
take note that some of this manufacturers are competing with each other
there going to have some politics involve too
thats why i said
most of this creator has the capability to make it external but for marketing reason
they decide not to.
Talking about hardware acceleration (Marvell Armada)
http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/31446541
if i modified this concept and just add better feature description doesn't make it new
the main concept is it accelerate performance.

check out this link from Mike Hepburn on earlier post (i was blown away after watching this)
Mike Hepburn
http://www.ted.com/talks/david_merrill_demos_siftables_the_smart_blocks.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

like what jonatan said technical innovation is just one aspect.
and ...In addition to prizes for best artistic imagery, there will be a special prize for the best product visualization.

ICD
07-29-2011, 02:34 PM
You must have some time to search through all those links but again is not the same thing ;). It is a principle there, but not the same, you can search through all the internet and you won't find anything similar, you will find pieces of concepts here and there that coincide with what I was thinking but that's all. Hardware acceleration from mobile, is quite different from what I imagined. As I said, before iPhone, phones still had screens, software still existed, processors were still used but just not the same way so that makes it unique and quite original.
And who says you need to convince others to adopt your port ? :) You convince a big one and the rest will follow and if not, you release a few compatible products on launch and boom. The rest follows or lose.....as simple as iPhone's case. Who didn't adapt on making smart phones lost most of the market, after it's launch. People will adapt and market will adapt faster than you think and that, my friend, sells new stuffs, gives new jobs, makes industry spin even faster.

Artie
07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Is it so important who derives his work from work of someone else, guys? If we step a little bit back to the previous topic - I think judges are clever enough to see what is just copy of someone's work posted earlier and what's not. In my opinion, the main benefit of having similar event submissions public is a competition and inspiration. Works of other artists should you motivate to do something completely else than rest, not to copy their work and improve it here and there. We are playing with imagination and ideas, at this moment we need not to reflect a possible market success where better made copies wins usually. ;)

Wyszolmirski
07-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I really doubt that jury will pay much attention to how devices work. If I understand correctly, winners will be chosen based on artistic aspects of an image.

Now relax and wait for official announcement.

ICD
07-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Good luck to everyone, anyway, is not our job to judge.

mohsen123
07-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Hi there, and thanks all, that was my first try in CGTalk competitions, I like it...
If I understand correctly, winners will be chosen based on artistic aspects of an image.
I don't think so, I think this competition have a little different with other CG competitions, what is a mix of technique + think and Idea, maybe in other competitions the technique [light, shadow, texture, render...] was have a bigger point. I think!

anyway that was a great competition ,
thanks

MikeHepburn
08-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi all,

The judges are still debating, but we are very close to the winners' list. The Winners will be announced at SIGGRAPH, this Wednesday. I'll also do a feature, which will appear on the site.

Thanks for your great entries, and great spirit. Also thanks for your suggestions. The main issue with this competition was the confusion with the deadline - the team here will work to resolve that for the next competition.

And, if you didn't win, don't worry, because there is going to be a whole bunch more challenges coming up!

Cheers, Mike

Arkaiko
08-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

The judges are still debating, but we are very close to the winners' list. The Winners will be announced at SIGGRAPH, this Wednesday. I'll also do a feature, which will appear on the site.

Thanks for your great entries, and great spirit. Also thanks for your suggestions. The main issue with this competition was the confusion with the deadline - the team here will work to resolve that for the next competition.

And, if you didn't win, don't worry, because there is going to be a whole bunch more challenges coming up!

Cheers, Mike

Wow,thanks for informations,Mike! ^^

Dungeon-master
08-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi Mike,

Only one question, make you contact with the winners via e-mail before announce them at SIGGRAPH, this Wednesday?

Regards!

BebeteLANUITE
08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

Cheers, Mike

Thank you for the update, Mike.
It's very cool to have some news of the judging. :thumbsup:

gamarala
08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi Mike,

Only one question, make you contact with the winners via e-mail before announce them at SIGGRAPH, this Wednesday?

Regards!

yeah im pretty sure they do. :(

MikeHepburn
08-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi Mike,

Regards!

Yep, we do. But don't worry if you haven't heard yet, because the debate rages on! Hoping to go out to winners in the next 48 hours- cross fingers.

gamarala
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
can one of the guys who wins just post something here asap? :D

I really want to stop checking my inbox every 5 minutes. :shrug:

buubu
08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
can one of the guys who wins just post something here asap? :D

I really want to stop checking my inbox every 5 minutes. :shrug:
hahah .. good one!
I don`t think the winners are allowed to tell anyone about this :)) so we will all find out on wednesday :shrug:

PI3c3
08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Nice... I'm very excited who will win this year... :D

Tomorrow we are going to see it... :P omgomgomgomgomg... :D

Miked08
08-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I would guess that if you haven't received an email yet, you haven't won a prize.

* I feel this is relevant: :cry:

ICD
08-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Well, maybe they will announce the losers first ! :)

Wyszolmirski
08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
So, at what time today at Siggraph will winners be announced?

Vilandra
08-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Try this.... http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/8/prweb8695824.htm

PI3c3
08-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Yes sadly...

But here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/08/10/prweb8695824.DTL

BebeteLANUITE
08-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Congratulations to the winners ! :thumbsup:
And Congratulations to all challengers !! :thumbsup:
There were a lot of excellent concepts in this challenge.
See you for the next one ! ;-)

Arkaiko
08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Is it a joke?

Devices impossible to manufacture for common users in the next decade ,they won? These challenges are a joke, I never lost my time participating in this kind of thing.Star Wars technology will take many decades for us to enjoy them.

foulless
08-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Now I know, why I didn't have to participate in a challenge like this

foulless
08-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Never Again !!!

TOMAHAWK8080
08-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Is it a joke?

Devices impossible to manufacture for common users in the next decade ,they won? These challenges are a joke, I never lost my time participating in this kind of thing.Star Wars technology will take many decades for us to enjoy them.

Although i don't agree with you 100% there were some that were questionable in producing in 10 years time. Also it was my understanding that we could not use any existing logos or operating systems. I don't want to be a sore loser, but to me there were some contradictions.

I do however agree with the judges that they were the most artistically rendered and the compositions were awesome. congratulations to the winners, and Ill be back for the next one.

:beer:

foulless
08-10-2011, 06:58 PM
We want to explore your vision of the future of moving innovation. Make it artistic and awe-inspiring, but make it something we can all aspire to in the decade to come. Not sci-fi, just amazingly creative.

Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience in a revolutionary—yet realistic, attainable—way, delivering groundbreaking new thinking on performing everyday tasks. In addition to prizes for best artistic imagery, there will be a special prize for the best product visualization.

It's like... these words don't have any meaning at all

Arkaiko
08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Although i don't agree with you 100% there were some that were questionable in producing in 10 years time. Also it was my understanding that we could not use any existing logos or operating systems. I don't want to be a sore loser, but to me there were some contradictions.

I do agree however with the judges that they were the most artistically rendered and the compositions were awesome. congratulations to the winners, and Ill be back for the next one.

:beer:

Hi bro!

I only know one thing ... I say what I think, without hypocrisy or get flatter anyone!I know how to lose, after all, in our life,we received many more "no" than "yes" but certain things are very boring to handle.I repeat,Star Wars,Star Trek or Transformers technology are very distant, in fact I do not believe that man is able to invent them. ^^
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm just expressing my thoughts, if it was to invent something Sci-Fi, it was said before.

cat007
08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Hello guys,
I'd like to thank you for all helpful hints during the contest, it was a real big help for me.
Especially because i didn't does such advanced artwork before.

This contest was a great experience for me and i hope i can raise my artistic skills in next Challenge too.

Best regards and congratulations to the rest of the winning team!
Vladimir

TheEin
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Well given the very vague description of what was expected and how it should have been presented no wonder that many of us had our on vision of what must be a result..like cmon 1st place entry almost totaly lacks the point of competition - a device.. its more of a portrait.So my point is organisers need to comunicate better to the challengers that they want Art to avoid further frustration.
Grats to winners anyway)

rupeshc
08-10-2011, 07:34 PM
congratulations to all winners.... cheers :beer:

JeanSambolec
08-10-2011, 07:56 PM
For me personally, problem lies in the description/vision/references of the contest. To much wide and contradictory description with no, yes, no, yes, what? no, realconcept? artconcept? whatconcept? concept concept? yes, no, design, no sci-fi, yes sci-fi, no logic, yes logic! moving? not moving? REAL INNOVATION? no INNOVATION? be ORIGINAL? no ORIGINAL?

Imho, in future, description for this type of contest must be very specific and clear!

Congrats to all winners, go gO g0o o0o oOo0o...

RodT
08-10-2011, 08:14 PM
A tip of my hat to all of the winners. A shout out to all that participated and the efforts they gave. A thanks for CGSociety for holding the competition, and thanks to the sponsors of the awards. I'll see you at the next starting line.

Paularskog
08-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Great job to the winners! Like very one else I was shocked by some of choices but it is hard not knowing what they wanted. I'm not talking about my design but some of the others that I thought would be in the top 4. If you noticed anyone that won didn't have text in their art work. It's not like clients where you can find out what they want. I understand that they don't want to limit the creative flow of the artist, but I don't feel that they meet some of the rules that they put forth. Maybe for legal reasons they couldn't have text or the just wanted classical art work and not commercial. I hope to see everyone in the next challenge.

I was a little disappointed in us not giving feed back on each others work so that we could learn.

FYI.... I didn't do it either.

It seems we were complaining instead of a helping each other grow. I'm more disappoint in us then the judges. This does include myself.

Fenring
08-10-2011, 10:41 PM
After all, the competition is not called NV-IDEA, or NV-TECH, or NV-MAKES-SENSE. It's NV-ART.

Therefore I've decided that for the next round, regardless of the theme, I will make a landscape picture with blue heavens, green grass and a tree, maybe some yellow flowers, and a woman with the child in white dresses flowing in the light breeze, because it's scientifically proven that on average it's the kind of art people like best. Can't fail then.

Congratulations to all the winners.

ICD
08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Well it happens again....... Why almost every time if not every time, someone from the US wins ;) ? Even with something like that.........oh please, that holographic thing is IMPOSSIBLE and when I say, I mean it, is not like I got not imagination, but a degree in physics. I'd like to see that fellow going at a job interview with something like that, saying that they should invest in it ..ha ha...in the next, like 1000 years. Holographic things like that are simple dreams and technically, if that fellow had a scene made 5 years ago, he could just place that in photoshop in 1 hour or so ...is this a joke ?

They should limit this contests to USA, Australia, UK and sometimes Germany or France. That's what I feel about it and ask people to do something childish, maybe we will all have a chance to win then...if we move to the US or Stralia, of course.

Anyway, congratulations...whatever. This is somewhat sad.

Arkaiko
08-10-2011, 10:51 PM
After all, the competition is not called NV-IDEA, or NV-TECH, or NV-MAKES-SENSE. It's NV-ART.

Therefore I've decided that for the next round, regardless of the theme, I will make a landscape picture with blue heavens, green grass and a tree, maybe some yellow flowers, and a woman with the child in white dresses flowing in the light breeze, because it's scientifically proven that on average it's the kind of art people like best. Can't fail then.

Congratulations to all the winners.

LMAO...

Well it happens again....... Why almost every time if not every time, someone from the US wins ;) ? Even with something like that.........oh please, that holographic thing is IMPOSSIBLE and when I say, I mean it, is not like I got not imagination, but a degree in physics. I'd like to see that fellow going at a job interview with something like that, saying that they should invest in it ..ha ha...in the next, like 1000 years. Holographic things like that are simple dreams and technically, if that fellow had a scene made 5 years ago, he could just place that in photoshop in 1 hour or so ...is this a joke ?

They should limit this contests to USA, Australia, UK and sometimes Germany or France. That's what I feel about it and ask people to do something childish, maybe we will all have a chance to win then...if we move to the US or Stralia, of course.

Anyway, congratulations...whatever. This is somewhat sad.

Agree totally,like I said in my last posts,it's a joke!

The challenge It should be called Nv Arts non-sense.

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-10-2011, 11:17 PM
To all the frustrated, jealous, arrogant losers who question the judges, the winners and all contest - I should say: you don't like? - there are the doors. But you should remember one thing - if one day, somewhere you win something, you can be sure that there will be some frustrated losers who will complain and question your victory. So ... maybe a little bit of dignity, gentlemen?

To all winners - congratulations! This is a day of Your victory - enjoy it :). It was a great pleasure and honor to compete with You. Once again - congratulations and... see You in the next contest :).

ICD
08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
LMAO...

Agree totally,like I said in my last posts,it's a joke!

The challenge It should be called Nv Arts non-sense.

Yes and it should be especially targeted at neighbors, willing to share...an apple !
That would be so much fun :beer:.
I squeezed my mind and struggled to find time to do something viable and someone with a photoshop hologram and an old scene wins, while the others...well, they happened to be in the "first world", whatever that is. Hmm..it smells like fish..and I'm not even fishing :lightbulb.
But hey, let's hope the next will be fair and there will be peace in the world :hmm: and like..flowers and cakes everywhere so everyone can get fat :hmm:..hmm yum yum yum.
This is like CCCP elections :cool:.

You're totally right man,
Congratulations for that, YOU are a winner !

Iovokitangra
08-10-2011, 11:41 PM
To all the frustrated, jealous, arrogant losers who question the judges, the winners and all contest - I should say: you don't like? - there are the doors. But you should remember one thing - if one day, somewhere you win something, you can be sure that there will be some frustrated losers who will complain and question your victory. So ... maybe a little bit of dignity, gentlemen?
Rather than calling people frustrated, jealous, arrogant and whatnot, maybe you should try to address some of their arguments, which do seem valid to me. Also, nobody is a loser here, we are all participants. I personally didn't lose anything ;)

ICD
08-10-2011, 11:55 PM

To all winners - congratulations! This is a day of Your victory - enjoy it :). It was a great pleasure and honor to compete with You. Once again - congratulations and... see You in the next contest :).

Yes, right ! We all losers and frustrated :wavey:. Don't you just love us ? :) I do !
The fact is that ...well everyone has a right to protest as long as it's peaceful, we're just saying what we think. This is that freedom everyone is talking about, without actually knowing it.
Some of us just believe this is bias, live with it or go on, try to prove it wrong, win it.
Is not the fact that you lose, is what you're losing to...is like getting beaten by racoons and acting like it's cool then congratulate them. We're not jealous, we have no reason, I guess, but probably frustrated, yes. You can't be happy when impossible "designs" made with minimal effort win a contest about something viable in 10 years !!! This is like bananas winning an apple contest...it's fishy, it's like soviet elections where everyone voted but the nephews always won and I can give you countless examples, while you can never prove me wrong, just look around.
Have a cool day and stop assuming we're just evil frustrated losers. We're creators or hope to be, or at least some of us. We tend to be smart and think, we're not shallow, otherwise we'd go to bungee jumping contests, instead of design or art something, just for the sake of losing again. Not that is anything wrong with bungee jumping, i just find it stupid :hmm:. I find crocodile wrestling a lot smarter than that, though...if you wear a bra and there is dirt involved. Maybe next contest will be about that NV-Crocodile Wrestling...and a squirrel fighter will win...it always beats me....I'm such a loser....but hey..like most of us !

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Rather than calling people frustrated, jealous, arrogant and whatnot, maybe you should try to address some of their arguments, which do seem valid to me. Also, nobody is a loser here, we are all participants. I personally didn't lose anything ;)

I think, they forgot the most important thing - this is a portal of "society of digital ARTISTS" and it was an art competition. As I wrote: they don't like it? - there are the door. Let them go cry somewhere else. But first of all and once again - a little bit of dignity gentlemen. That's why I called them a "loser" - they really lost because all they have is frustration and complaints.

ICD
08-11-2011, 12:22 AM
I think, they forgot the most important thing - this is a portal of "society of digital ARTISTS" and it was an art competition. As I wrote: they don't like it? - there are the door. Let them go cry somewhere else. But first of all and once again - a little bit of dignity gentlemen. That's why I called them a "loser" - they really lost because all they have is frustration and complaints.

Loser is the one who knows he didn't lost and take it as valid. Some have better designs and acheivable in 10 years. We lost to an impossible hologram applied on some random render and a few other more or less bias entries. The hologram is made in USA, so maybe that's why it's so highly prized ? Well, maybe. Just like the NVart5, where some impossible machine won, still that was US made..so.. stop us thinking. Back then there were tons of better, viable entries.....but yes, it may well be a ..coincidence ..;).

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Loser is the one who knows he didn't lost and take it as valid. Some have better designs and acheivable in 10 years. We lost to an impossible hologram applied on some random render and a few other more or less bias entries. The hologram is made in USA, so maybe that's why it's so highly prized ? Well, maybe. Just like the NVart5, where some impossible machine won, still that was US made..so.. stop us thinking. Back then there were tons of better, viable entries.....but yes, it may well be a ..coincidence ..;).

At some points (not many) I agree with You, in others - not. But anyway, please remember one thing - the respect for the winners (whatever You think about it). Because one day (who knows:) ) it could be You (I wish You this with all my heart). Think about how You will feel when someone who has not won, convinced he and only he is right, will say that You don't deserve to win, because You didn't do it in his way and according to his beliefs. So... peace Brother and - despite everything - I hope we all meet again in the next contest :).

Ps. It's nearly three hours after midnight here and in the morning I have to go to work, and... good night to everyone :).

reybies
08-11-2011, 01:27 AM
I found this entry http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/BebeteLANUITE I think its better than the fish/ring.

Vilandra
08-11-2011, 01:30 AM
I was surprised by the judges decisions, as some of the entries were definitely scifi, and no way achievable in the next decade.

I spent some time researching my entry idea before I started it. I purposely avoided all scifi and futuristic ideas to make sure I followed the guidelines and theme of the challenge.

I was surprised to see that a hologram made first place. It was mentioned that, "Her wonderfully bored expression indicates that in her time this magical technology is commonplace." Commonplace within the next decade?

Perhaps I focused too much on the guidelines and theme, rather than creating art. Or perhaps the judges didnt know about the whole "within the next decade" and "no scifi" in the challenge description. Either way, I learned a few new things and only took me a weekend to create my entry.

Congrats to the winners, even though uncle sam will probably be getting his cut of the prizes, so im not quite sure if the winners are really winners after all. Im guessing roughly $6k of the $20k valued first place prize will be going to uncle sam. Which means the other winners who won a $5k GPU, will be paying roughly $1500.

reybies
08-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Judge Steven Stahlberg exclaimed that it was, “Beautiful, artistic, whimsical, atmospheric.” Judge Kyle Swen liked the “nice soft style- interesting composition—attention to detail is amazing. Even the girl’s expression is compelling.” Judge Zorana Gee from Adobe commented, “Loved that the product has a story behind it. This is a beautiful painting that creates intrigue.” Judge Arnoldas Vitkus, NVArt 5’s 1st place winner from last year, admired “the materials, textures, illumination - everything is masterfully executed.” Finally, Judge Adam Benton was impressed by the fact that it was so “sensitively done, and full of character.”

I guess they judge according to the background/environment not the device it self. The device has no details at all.

@Jonatan-Moonchild what's the different between your work and the 4th winner?

@Vilandra

I like your work....nice render bro....

Bispo3d
08-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Nvidia should select good judges for the next contest or the next contest will became another big Joke as friend Arkaico said. I'd rather be a loser than win without merit !

Congratulations to all participants who have spent time thinking about something that could really help someone, life is not just the world is not just more God is just and that is enough for me .

Fábio Bispo

reybies
08-11-2011, 06:06 AM
http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/nvart_6_winners_announced

post here

darkreel
08-11-2011, 06:16 AM
http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/nvart_6_winners_announced

post your negative comment and it will deleted...

What did you expect? :bounce:

darkreel
08-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Yes, it was a fiasco :bounce: . Why? Simply because people were not informed to make the best decisions . Seeing the winning entries, there is clearly a pattern and some "musts":

1. NO TEXT on the image. Well, this was a close one, because 90% of the people here thought the actual purpose of the contest was to design a "product", or "device"....so most of the entries are actual product designs, will little to no artistic twist. The wining entry? Well...first place entry simply ignores the product design and concentrates on atmosphere and the girls expressions.
But what about the actual product? What does it do? Why is it special? We only see a hologram and two small objects controlling it. What's the innovation if we cannot see what the product is or does?
Conclusion: judges concentrated on the "art" value and the "innovation" did not matter at all. So you could of invented the next big device hit, and still had lost to the hologram girl if it wasn't presented in a "artsy" way.

2. "Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience in a revolutionary—yet realistic, attainable—way, delivering groundbreaking new thinking on performing everyday tasks. " - Whaaaaaaaaaaat? NONE of the winning entries actually do this. I don't know how someone chooses them but MY GOD, they do not innovate, and all of them lack usability. There were far better products that entered the contest, that actually were innovations. Take for example fifth prize: what the hell is that? What do you use it for? It's just a nice looking useless gadget like "here's a bendt screen with holographic 3d capacity that shows time :applause: "

3. Not making the contest theme clear resulted in poor decisions by the judges. I'm not saying first prize is bad, I'm saying just it shouldn't of won THIS contest.

4. The best visualization (prize 6) . OMG OMG OMG. Pointless to say, there were some extremely good ones on this category, and they award that? I don't talk about those rings here, they're good, I'm talking about the actual "product visualization". What's so special about it? Two rings, a camera above them, and something indistinguishable in the background. Yay, the best product viz :arteest:

5. Second prize: Good Render, nice product. I think it deserves a prize, although if you ask an industrial designer, he would laugh his pants off when seeing the products laterals that "slide" into the main containter transforming materials from solid to flexible to bending :banghead:

6. Third prize. Judge comment: “a clean, beautiful, stroke of genius... makes me think of Asia, especially Japanese minimalist design.” - pleeeeeeeease pleeeeeeease Mr Judge, inform yourself what minimalist design is. A fan ...minimalist? With all those "wings", spanning mechanism? OMG ....and we couldn't use other logos, but who cares about rules? Rounded screen with flaps? :)) Usability = 0 Minimalism? A joke.

7. Fourth prize: excellent render, deserves a prize. I don't have many comments about this entry, other that is'a a little Sci-Fi, and I bet it won't be available for the public in the next 30 yrs. But again, who cares about rules? Only stupid designers follow them and actually try to develop a "real" device.

8. Fifth prize: I talked about it above. A total fiasco this winning entry. What's the innovation people? Nice render btw.

Final Conclusion:

Choose your judges more carefully next time. I don't know how involved they were, but one thing is certain. The did not have a common mark scale for the designs. There wasn't a true theme for this contest. You could have entered with your old orc image made in PS and put a holo in his hand and voila you could of won. Who cares about product design ...who cares about innovation, moving, mobility? Just the poor fools who actually did some research.

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Judge Steven Stahlberg exclaimed that it was, “Beautiful, artistic, whimsical, atmospheric.” Judge Kyle Swen liked the “nice soft style- interesting composition—attention to detail is amazing. Even the girl’s expression is compelling.” Judge Zorana Gee from Adobe commented, “Loved that the product has a story behind it. This is a beautiful painting that creates intrigue.” Judge Arnoldas Vitkus, NVArt 5’s 1st place winner from last year, admired “the materials, textures, illumination - everything is masterfully executed.” Finally, Judge Adam Benton was impressed by the fact that it was so “sensitively done, and full of character.”
(...)
@Jonatan-Moonchild what's the different between your work and the 4th winner
(...)

Well... if you don't see the difference... It's like I would ask you what's the difference between your work and all others who have drawn the phone (with background done by someone else - Avatar) and described that it does everything.

And I hope I'm writing it last time - it was an art competition. By the way - they wrote: "(...) First and foremost, submitted works will be judged on the strength of their emotive and narrative elements (...)" and... they did as they wrote.

Stop complain and try to be better next time. This is the most important thing in all this competitions - become a better artist. (If you want to be a better device maker you should change the portal.)

Ps. Thanks for comparison to 4th winner - I really like his work :) (even if our work is related mainly due to gloves).

reybies
08-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Well... if you don't see the difference... It's like I would ask you what's the difference between your work and all others who have drawn the phone (with background done by someone else - Avatar) and described that it does everything.

And I hope I'm writing it last time - it was an art competition. By the way - they wrote: "(...) First and foremost, submitted works will be judged on the strength of their emotive and narrative elements (...)" and... they did as they wrote.

Stop complain and try to be better next time. This is the most important thing in all this competitions - become a better artist. (If you want to be a better device maker you should change the portal.)

Ps. Thanks for comparison to 4th winner - I really like his work :).

I'm not complaining...maybe you....
I used AVATAR just to show my movie player (Compack HD) ....hahaha you're funny ( i know thats my mistake to put that thing)

I asked you because I notice your work and the 4th winner are the same so I guess you could be the winner too that's what i mean. But your negative mind comes first....

Don't comment it's not for you...

ICD
08-11-2011, 09:09 AM
@Jonatan-Moonchild

No hologram like that, will be made in 10, 100 or 1000 years.
You cannot stop photons in the air, not even with the strongest magnetic field that humans can produce and if it is plasma involved then everything is hot, takes a lot of power and needs to be contained in some glass so, that drops also. That is simply childish and will never be done, plus what's the point, when we got screens with details and projectors ?
Sony tried to do a hologram effect by spinning a screen to about 4000 rpm, so creating a 4d effect of the shown object but that's it. You simply can't have a hologram in thin air as you can't have a jedi sword neither, those are impossible and naive "designs" if can be named like that. They are pure childhood dreams that can never be done. People will rather discover some anti-gravity device, than stop the electrons in their path, on thin air, then manipulate them to form an image or shape, on their path. It simply cannot be done.

Now it is a way of bending light ! Yes, I almost forgot about it..A BLACK HOLE ! If you create some black holes and make a device to shift their gravity pull, you can, technically bend the light path ! Yes, for that to be done, we need some black holes or a really insane amount of gravity and it can be done :thumbsup:. Now let's proceed in creating some black holes and put them on a table, in the next 10 years. It shouldn't be hard, just collapse a few stars and convince them to sit on your table and be portable.

These contests should have more qualified judges, people who can think technically and who view the life in more realistic ways, otherwise they will be jokes. Why don't they put some physics teachers to judge with some artists and maybe some marketing people/teachers. That way the votes will be a lot more objective. With such qualified people judging, something impossible and childish will never win, be it from the US or not. Someone who lives on this world and knows how things actually work, will never give prizes to holograms or chose doubtful ideas as winners and think it can be done in 10 years. That happens only when judgement is faulty, or there are certain affinities with certain people for whatever reasons. Otherwise I just can't get how something like that can ever win.

So, Jonatan-Moonchild, I can't congratulate winners with impossible concepts, that is against logic. I rather congratulate all the other people who had great good ideas or had really great designs and were overlooked for whatever reasons. No one will ever look at some hologram for inspiration, that anyone with some photoshop skills can do but nobody can produce...unless someone has a few supernovas to play with :).

@reybies

----

About that...I got nothing to say. It's very subjective and has no practicality. If you ask a kindergarten kid about it, he will probably say the same things. Without being an "artist", whatever that is, cause now a days even Lady Gaga halls himself an artist, so the terms is effectively broken, as we observe. Not that I should say something about it anyway.
But in this particular contest, like NVArt5, I thought we should create real things, not holograms, little girls and tables and the judges will think technically and won't vote for beautiful eyes that have no connection with the theme. And I can't overlook the fact that constantly, no one outside the US, Australia or "the west" wins, no matter how good they are. Is just my opinion, my observation.

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-11-2011, 09:28 AM
No hologram like that, will be made in 10, 100 or 1000 years. (...) That is simply childish and will never be done (...)

I think You right about 10 years (maybe 100 too), but 1000? 1000 years ago people was convinced, that the Earth is flat. Have a faith in humankind brother :).

You simply can't have a hologram in thin air as you can't have a jedi sword neither, those are impossible and naive (...)

Please don't say that - I want my jedi sword ;)

reybies
08-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Holography was invented in 1947 by the Hungarian-British physicist Dennis Gabor (Hungarian name: Gábor Dénes) from wiki

but its almost 60 yrs now....so we need another more 60 yrs to see that technology?...hope I can live that long... :bounce:

AlexisC12
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
@Jonatan-Moonchild

No hologram like that, will be made in 10, 100 or 1000 years.
You cannot stop photons in the air, not even with the strongest magnetic field that humans can produce and if it is plasma involved then everything is hot, takes a lot of power and needs to be contained in some glass so, that drops also. That is simply childish and will never be done, plus what's the point, when we got screens with details and projectors ?
Sony tried to do a hologram effect by spinning a screen to about 4000 rpm, so creating a 4d effect of the shown object but that's it. You simply can't have a hologram in thin air as you can't have a jedi sword neither, those are impossible and naive "designs" if can be named like that. They are pure childhood dreams that can never be done. People will rather discover some anti-gravity device, than stop the electrons in their path, on thin air, then manipulate them to form an image or shape, on their path. It simply cannot be done.
:thumbsup:

I agree with that..

Hologram we know today was being popularize by starwars and other sci-fi film.

This is the worse competition decision ever. Thats my opinion based on the rules and guidelines.

This competition is both Technicality and Artistic design but the way it ends, was so disappointing!

davek1979
08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Get small. Think big.The evolution of portable technology will empower all of us in exciting new ways. To do more, in more places. To bring our home, or our work, with us wherever we go. Or leave it all behind and escape. The elements of technology are getting smaller, thinner, and lighter than ever before.

Which gives our imaginations the power to think bigger.

We want to explore your vision of the future of moving innovation. Make it artistic and awe-inspiring, but make it something we can all aspire to in the decade to come. Not sci-fi, just amazingly creative.

Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience in a revolutionary—yet realistic, attainable—way, delivering groundbreaking new thinking on performing everyday tasks. In addition to prizes for best artistic imagery, there will be a special prize for the best product visualization.

The NVART 06 artwork courtesy of Franz Steiner.

The definition is clear. No sci-fi. Something achievable in the next decade. For everyone, not just those who happen to have gigawatt power sources with them.

That should have cut off a good chunk of images submitted from any chance of competing, WHATEVER THEIR ARTISTIC VALUE.
Logically, the best artistic imagery should have been selected from the rest that do adhere to the theme.

I propose community decide their own winners. No prizes involved, but the gratification for all the hard work put in and the community kudos.

reybies
08-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I propose community decide their own winners. No prizes involved, but the gratification for all the hard work put in and the community kudos.

+1000

ICD
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I think You right about 10 years (maybe 100 too), but 1000? 1000 years ago people was convinced, that the Earth is flat. Have a faith in humankind brother :).

Well I guess is different here, we don't even actually know what photons or gravity are, technically but we know how they act so...I don't think anyone will bend the path of light in the next 1000 years, or it will deflect it in such a way, on thin air, just like in the picture, so an image can be formed, out of nowhere. Unless we hire some black holes to fix that. The light is deflected by surfaces, slowed down by different materials and bended by gravity. It doesn't care to much about magnetic fields...so you can't do very much about it.
Maybe in the future, someone can have a kind of globe with projections on the inside walls from a small light source, like wizards in those movies, but that's not a hologram on thin air, still, is just a spherical screen.
Probably in some contest the judges should be Steve Jobbs, Bill Gates, Stephen Hawking...and Lady Gaga :scream:. That would be an interesting party !

but its almost 60 yrs now....so we need another more 60 yrs to see that technology?...hope I can live that long... :bounce:

Yes...it's about those stickers and marks on your passport. That's what is technically called a hologram today, not projections on thin air :bowdown:

reybies
08-11-2011, 10:01 AM
mmm problem with the deadline date...

now with the winners....

nice...

ICD
08-11-2011, 10:07 AM
mmm problem with the deadline date...

now with the winners....

nice...

No problem, don't worry.
Just simple observations and opinions.
You seem to be cool, then, I wonder why you look around.

reybies
08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
:thumbsup:

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-11-2011, 10:14 AM
ICD, I think the main and most important idea of hologram is not to put something in the air, but make our eyes (our brain in fact) believe, that there is something in the air. So maybe if we go that way, there will be a situation in the future (more distant than 10 years - I think You're right), that two people will look at the same direction and one of them - maybe a little girl - will see something in the air and the other not.

Ps. And I'm not thinking here about drugs or alcohol ;).

ICD
08-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Well, then, Jonatan, that is freaky ! I wouldn't want to see things in that way, to distort what we perceive as reality. It sounds like closer to chaos and disorder, maybe ?
Then if it's how you say, that is a brain implant design, rather than hologram, so going on that path, I could well post an elephant and say that everything you see is in your mind, the elephant is portable, stuck on your retina, you and only you can see it...and the elephant should have beautiful eyes and a surprised look, like he saw you first and that's like 2 universes colliding and voila ! A story and a winning idea on that recipe ! But we will all interact with imaginary elephants in 10 years or ever ? We will have brain implants to see things, or distorted retinas ? Then we are going to the world of matrix and dissolution as human society when everyone will see what he chooses to. Everyone will project dead relatives and ghost will be real in an universe like that. I guess is quite insane and is simply cheaper to take some lsd than distort your retinas or plant some pentium 2 between your ears :). But now a days you are locked at rehab for seeing things that others can't see. Or if it is possible to control that phantasms how do you think a "hacked" retina will act ? Or a hacked brain implant or a jammed one. Those things may happen someday to some people but that was the purpose of this ? To create brain or retina implants and ghosts, or pieces of designs, ready to serve us in the next 10 years ? Cause on that path, everything is valid, any image is valid...cause you see what is projected and we're going to philosophy rather than design and practicability, as we should.

reybies
08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
What about a formal complain....hahahaha lol...just kidding...

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Well, then, Jonatan, that is freaky ! I wouldn't want to see things in that way, to distort what we perceive as reality. It sounds like closer to chaos and disorder, maybe ?

Well Dorin (I hope this is Your name - I don't want call You all the time by nick) - we are talking about the tools. How people will use it - it's a different story. You can use a hammer to drive a nail or... You can use it in a more macabre way ;). I can only hope that people are more related to creation than destruction.

OK, I think it's time come back to reality (work - GRRRRRR!).
Best regards and see You in the next contest :).

ICD
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, but by how I see people....hmm. If that will ever be done, then amazon will feed you adds everywhere :) You will live in a world controlled by phantasms and external interests, not that we don't already, but then you won't be able to switch off.

Yes, I got a lot of stuff to work on so, nice chat,
Let's hope the next will be the best :)
Good luck !

reybies
08-11-2011, 11:13 AM
what about this http://www.plusplasticelectronics.com/ConsumerElectronics/Polymer-vision-in-receivership.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2WqENUZl9s&feature=relmfu
view @1:00min

looks like the 2nd winner

Neo300487
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
looks like the 2nd winner

http://fr.eyeka.com/video/view/1059242-scroll

:)

darkreel
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
http://fr.eyeka.com/video/view/1059242-scroll

:)

Yay, congrats to the winner. A very good copy.

darkreel
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Yes, it was a fiasco :bounce: . Why? Simply because people were not informed to make the best decisions . Seeing the winning entries, there is clearly a pattern and some "musts":

1. NO TEXT on the image. Well, this was a close one, because 90% of the people here thought the actual purpose of the contest was to design a "product", or "device"....so most of the entries are actual product designs, will little to no artistic twist. The wining entry? Well...first place entry simply ignores the product design and concentrates on atmosphere and the girls expressions.
But what about the actual product? What does it do? Why is it special? We only see a hologram and two small objects controlling it. What's the innovation if we cannot see what the product is or does?
Conclusion: judges concentrated on the "art" value and the "innovation" did not matter at all. So you could of invented the next big device hit, and still had lost to the hologram girl if it wasn't presented in a "artsy" way.

2. "Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience in a revolutionary—yet realistic, attainable—way, delivering groundbreaking new thinking on performing everyday tasks. " - Whaaaaaaaaaaat? NONE of the winning entries actually do this. I don't know how someone chooses them but MY GOD, they do not innovate, and all of them lack usability. There were far better products that entered the contest, that actually were innovations. Take for example fifth prize: what the hell is that? What do you use it for? It's just a nice looking useless gadget like "here's a bendt screen with holographic 3d capacity that shows time :applause: "

3. Not making the contest theme clear resulted in poor decisions by the judges. I'm not saying first prize is bad, I'm saying just it shouldn't of won THIS contest.

4. The best visualization (prize 6) . OMG OMG OMG. Pointless to say, there were some extremely good ones on this category, and they award that? I don't talk about those rings here, they're good, I'm talking about the actual "product visualization". What's so special about it? Two rings, a camera above them, and something indistinguishable in the background. Yay, the best product viz :arteest:

5. Second prize: Good Render, nice product. I think it deserves a prize, although if you ask an industrial designer, he would laugh his pants off when seeing the products laterals that "slide" into the main containter transforming materials from solid to flexible to bending :banghead:

6. Third prize. Judge comment: “a clean, beautiful, stroke of genius... makes me think of Asia, especially Japanese minimalist design.” - pleeeeeeeease pleeeeeeease Mr Judge, inform yourself what minimalist design is. A fan ...minimalist? With all those "wings", spanning mechanism? OMG ....and we couldn't use other logos, but who cares about rules? Rounded screen with flaps? :)) Usability = 0 Minimalism? A joke.

7. Fourth prize: excellent render, deserves a prize. I don't have many comments about this entry, other that is'a a little Sci-Fi, and I bet it won't be available for the public in the next 30 yrs. But again, who cares about rules? Only stupid designers follow them and actually try to develop a "real" device.

8. Fifth prize: I talked about it above. A total fiasco this winning entry. What's the innovation people? Nice render btw.

Final Conclusion:

Choose your judges more carefully next time. I don't know how involved they were, but one thing is certain. The did not have a common mark scale for the designs. There wasn't a true theme for this contest. You could have entered with your old orc image made in PS and put a holo in his hand and voila you could of won. Who cares about product design ...who cares about innovation, moving, mobility? Just the poor fools who actually did some research.

No offence to the winners, it's not their fault, and some of the entries deserved a prize..maybe not in that order.

Cheers :bounce:

elfenoir
08-11-2011, 12:25 PM
An other thing that i find "funy" is all you see in usefull inspiration... all this images are "realistic" product showcase.... And none of them show other thing that the product (like little girl or beautifull fish). So I don't think that it really is "usful" inspiration.Why saying to people : "hey look at this, it's things like that that you should create" and then reward stuff that look different....

Miked08
08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Congratulations to the winners I am pleased for you :) enjoy the Quadro(s)!

I may have put in so much work into my entry but I won't start complaining. CG Society and Nvidia do not have to put this competition together so I'm grateful that they did. It was a fun project for me to do.

For future challenges the deadline thing needs to be tightened up and perhaps the brief could be clearer. Until next time!

Neo300487
08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Yay, congrats to the winner. A very good copy.

It was not my point. With the same idea (that is not really difficult to find, after some research on the flexible screen), the two projects are very different.

It's clearly not the same design.

Besides, the winner final render is astonishing. In one "simple" picture, he's able to describe his project more than me, in an entire video.

It's the lesson i learned from this contest. I need to think about better way to expose, to sell my ideas.

The contest is nothing else than an exercise, a test. When you don't win, you think about what was wrong and it helps you becoming better.

But, that is just my opinion.

PS: Sorry if my english is not good...

cgworks
08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
i can not seem to understand how some of the winning images were selected
it is clear to me that the rules / guidelines/ brief/ description for this contest were broken and meant nothing
another thing is why any of the stuff members of cg society doesn't come out to talk about why this happened "i think many artists will agree with me on that"or at least support the winning images
come,.. debate with us :-)
and don't tell me that those images were selected by the judges because that means that cg society didn't inform the judging comity about the description rules etc etc
"next decade" not sci-fi"
come on that was your guideline..............................................

ICD
08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Final Conclusion:

No offence to the winners, it's not their fault, and some of the entries deserved a prize..maybe not in that order.

You pointed that right, I think the judges were simply not qualified to judge such a contest, about future portable devices. They should have asked some industrial designers, some inventors maybe and product marketing leaders or something like that. You can't have good designs judged by people who have nothing to do with product design and it's viability for the next 10 years. Some did some great pieces and a little girl with a photoshop hologram won, so you ask yourself...what was all about ? It didn't matter if you designed something revolutionary, at all, what mattered was just personal taste of some people. And if it was all about "art", that is a very general term. Art can be anything you like and then almost all the inspiration images were studio renders, this was supposed to be about innovation, after all.
Anyway, it doesn't matter now, but something makes me think that future competitions will be of lower and lower quality, due to this situations. You can't convince someone to enter a contest, give the best, when on previous you gave the prizes random, off theme and on beautiful eyes.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate to win, but when I looked through entries, I saw some with potential and none won. I never thought that a simple old scene with a photoshop hologram could win such a competition and obviously I'm not the only one thinking the same.
But anyway...who cares :)

reybies
08-11-2011, 01:32 PM
...................................... shame :bowdown:

also post your comments on the following site...

facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/NVIDIA?ref=ts

Nvidia blog:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/08/and-the-winners-of-the-nvart-6-competition-are/?sf1970002=1

yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/nvidia-cgsociety-nvart-6-moving-innovation-digital-art-170019949.html

foulless
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Well ICD, I have a bachelor degree in Engineer Design - with specialization in Industrial Design and what can I say... the judges are without any clue what is a design in general.

BebeteLANUITE
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Hello guys,

I red all of the reactions on the faq forum and i'am agree with everybody.

There is a lot of disappointment for challengers who try to follow the rules and
think about the technologies of the next decade. (and fight themselves to not doing a scifi device :-) )
I understand their feelings but i understand the artistic judging too because judges are artists and i don't forget that they give a part of their free time to judge our concepts. Thank you to them.

I see very good and constructed concepts in this challenge.
If i have an advice : Just make bring your concept to life. It's yours. Made some other renderings. Post them in a designer's forum to get some feedback. Maybe print it in 3D. Make a video of its use.
I just want to say : Why not !
Your creation is there. Your have the freedom to make it live.

I'am happy for the winners because it's very good to win something in a challenge. They made good images and concept. (Three of the six concepts are devices, i like). I'am happy specially for cat007.

So, the only thing, i will retain from the challenge is : I failed to achieve a good design visualization.
I was too much in product description and not enough in an artistic visualization.
I take some lessons of my participation and apply them in my works now.

Sincerely, congratulations to the winners. Congratulations to all challengers. Thank to the judges for their work. Thanks to CGTalk and NVidia for the contest.

I will be proud to make an other challenge with you all guys and girls.

Cheers.

reybies
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Hello guys,

I red all of the reactions on the faq forum and i'am agree with everybody.

There is a lot of disappointment for challengers who try to follow the rules and
think about the technologies of the next decade. (and fight themselves to not doing a scifi device :-) )
I understand their feelings but i understand the artistic judging too because judges are artists and i don't forget that they give a part of their free time to judge our concepts. Thank you to them.

I see very good and constructed concepts in this challenge.
If i have an advice : Just make bring your concept to life. It's yours. Made some other renderings. Post them in a designer's forum to get some feedback. Maybe print it in 3D. Make a video of its use.
I just want to say : Why not !
Your creation is there. Your have the freedom to make it live.

I'am happy for the winners because it's very good to win something in a challenge. They made good images and concept. (Three of the six concepts are devices, i like). I'am happy specially for cat007.

So, the only thing, i will retain from the challenge is : I failed to achieve a good design visualization.
I was too much in product description and not enough in an artistic visualization.
I take some lessons of my participation and apply them in my works now.

Sincerely, congratulations to the winners. Congratulations to all challengers. Thank to the judges for their work. Thanks to CGTalk and NVidia for the contest.

I will be proud to make an other challenge with you all guys and girls.

Cheers.

another challenge with same rules...hmmm no way...

BebeteLANUITE
08-11-2011, 06:21 PM
another challenge with same rules...hmmm no way...

Hello Reybies,

I understand your feelings. I had the same when i see some of the winners. But i try to remain philosophical and positive.
I tell to myself : Anyway, i finished the contest. I created a concept i like. I learned some tricks. I did a real designer's and concepter's work.
Whatever, if my concept had some lacks that made it not enough good to be eligible for this contest, now i will make it better. Because it exists. Maybe, i would never think about creating this concept without this contest and maybe yes.
I can't say if the next challenge judging will respect more the rules. But now, i know the artistic part, the feeling and the story is more important than the design itself in this contests. It's for that, i will be proud of participating an other challenge with challengers like all of you. Because i learned a lot and i created a lot.
Maybe it's because, i love creating and it's enough for me.

darkreel
08-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Hello Reybies,

I can't say if the next challenge judging will respect more the rules. But now, i know the artistic part, the feeling and the story is more important than the design itself in this contests. It's for that, i will be proud of participating an other challenge with challengers like all of you. Because i learned a lot and i created a lot.
Maybe it's because, i love creating and it's enough for me.

What if next time you will design an artistic and story telling entry and the judges will decide "Ohhh well enough let's put more accent on the actual design" :applause:

The problem still remains: lack of actual details made 90% of the people to think of a product design more than a pretty picture. Next time do tell us PLEASE: We want pretty pictures, doesn't matter what the product does, include it into a pretty sweet picture. :applause:

BebeteLANUITE
08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
What if next time you will design an artistic and story telling entry and the judges will decide "Ohhh well enough let's put more accent on the actual design" :applause:

The problem still remains: lack of actual details made 90% of the people to think of a product design more than a pretty picture. Next time do tell us PLEASE: We want pretty pictures, doesn't matter what the product does, include it into a pretty sweet picture. :applause:

I'am agree with you. It's a risk, i will take.
The good point is i will not stress about the rules, i did for this contest. :p
Here i respect the rules. I will be surprised and desappointed of the judging results. So for me, it's not really like loosing because the interpretation of the rules was different in the judging. They didn't judge it the right way. So, i win a concept to work with.
I think it's because it's not the right moment for my concept to win the contest. :-)
Maybe the next. Maybe never. It's not a problem i will create more.

I'am agree with you about the fact that the rules must be more explicit for the next contests.

Keep Creating Guys !! It's your force !! :buttrock:

reybies
08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
@BebeteLANUITE

good luck and I hope you win....with same rules :buttrock:

we are posting our comments just to inform the admin/judges that their was a problem regarding the rules. and that's all.....not to change their decision respect to the winners..

but the admin still not showing until now... :applause:

ICD
08-11-2011, 07:21 PM
BebeteLANUITE

Well man, I don't wanna win never cause some dude designed little girls instead of products and he won or cause the rules were poorly written and never counted anyway. I wanna lose to someone better than me, not to some issues like these and I wanna respect the winner for what he did, the judges for what they appreciated, according with the guidelines and technical value, not personal feelings and tastes. A judge when chosen to judge something he or she should be objective, should think deeper that the pixels he or she sees. Otherwise a baboon could judge just as well, he will point fingers to something he likes, for some reason, then what is the difference ?

Congratulations for loosing :), but I don't feel to good when that happens. and yes, that drives me to go harder, to brake the lines sometimes, but I don't even know what lines to brake, when they are not even drawn straight and nobody seems to care. Is just like apple picking..some like them greener, some the red ones and some, like the worms that live inside cause that tells them they're natural ! I'd like to be judged by the last person, in this case, cause he or she saw the bigger picture.

I just hope the next will be better judged and the guidelines more clear. We should know if little girls count 99%, the theme 0.2% and the rest is random, I guess, in a product design competition.
Good luck :wavey:!

BebeteLANUITE
08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
@BebeteLANUITE

good luck and I hope you win....with same rules :buttrock:

Next time, i will use the motivation the contest give me to do something good.
Regardless of the fact, if i win or not. I will do it for me and just for me.
But if in the rules, in participating, i will loose the properties of the concept or the image.
So, i go to see elsewhere.

we are posting our comments just to inform the admin/judges that their was a problem regarding the rules. and that's all.....not to change their decision respect to the winners..

It's the best thing to do. ;-)

Arkaiko
08-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Make us a favor ...Do not write about something you do not have a clue, so you spare us such nonsense we read =)

Bispo3d
08-11-2011, 07:36 PM
No one here is children we are professionals or serious students and we deserve more respect from the organization and judges.

rules are rules and there are to be followed.:banghead:

we do not want prizes we just want a little respect, the organizers must assume that they were wrong :banghead:

fist winner dont make a good device he make a good character a beautyfull little girl, see the link of USEFULL INSPIRATIONS you cant see anything like that. if Jugds wanted see a device whith story back they must shoud say before.:banghead:

reybies
08-11-2011, 07:40 PM
where are the admin?.....are they hiding?

JeanSambolec
08-11-2011, 07:48 PM
After 20 days of hardwork for my entry i'm so curious who is responsible for the contestdescription/vision/useful inspiration images? so i can avoid next contests made by this person. I have made my gadget based on Innovation word, i don't see Innovation in winners. Three flexible/holo tablets has took a prize, hm. No comment for the 6th place, nhf. :)

Jean

jstaddon
08-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Now that the competition is over and winners are announced, is it ok for me to post my entry on other websites (coroflot, evermotion, etc.)? It helps me get work...

NoxLupi
08-11-2011, 10:11 PM
First of, Congratulations to all winners!
However i am really baffled about the 1st place. It is a beautiful render for sure but, that is really all it is imo. It is not: Somthing we can all aspire to in the decades to come, it does not show how it integrates with the daily human experience, it may be revolutionary but def. not realistic, and it is not groundbreaking new thinking, i do not find it very artistic either but, it is a very impressive 3d render. Anyways for the 1st place i think the prize of 10.000 dollars and 2 Quadro 6k cards fell into very good hands! again, congrats with that :D

BebeteLANUITE
08-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Now that the competition is over and winners are announced, is it ok for me to post my entry on other websites (coroflot, evermotion, etc.)? It helps me get work...

Yes, i think you can.

From terms and conditions :
7. Entries should remain unpublished outside of CGSociety prior to the close of the challenge.
17. The final model, both digital and real, remains the exclusive property of the entrant.
20. Entrants commit to notify Ballistic Media in writing at least one week prior to the publication of their work in any media.
21. Other than the rights assigned in the preceding clauses entrants retain copyright of all entered materials and are free to use said materials for personal promotions.

So if i understand, you grant Ballistic Media and the sponsors to use your entered work in any media but you stay the exclusive owner of your work. You can promote yourself with but if you want to publish it in a media you must notify Ballistic Media in writing.
You can improve and/or modify it too.

Hope i answered your question.

jstaddon
08-11-2011, 11:21 PM
ahh.. thanks for pointing those out.

CLONEOPS
08-11-2011, 11:26 PM
This was on the judging page but not on the main contest page...

"All judging will be performed internally by the jury. First and foremost, submitted works will be judged on the strength of their emotive and narrative elements, with technical excellence as secondary criteria. Participating artists must demonstrate clarity of thought and emotion in their finished images."

...so for lack of attention or misplaced editing it was not pointed out as a focus of the contest...this might have been pointed out much earlier between the members if they had a more exposed dialog at hand and actually talking to one another ..not the one that currently does seems to contains each entry into its own separate cell.

This does not exonerate anyone who has the ability to read but it shows a bit of lack of care in editing...it does seem to have mislead a bit although i really doubt intentionally...so read all the documentation etc..the rules next time.

Regarding the design of the contest format i personally find the flow awkward..disjointed.. seems to very much lack something....and i do so wish the usual linear format was present.

That said ..congratulations to the winners! ..thems some tasty prizes.:)

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-12-2011, 01:55 AM

Make us a favor ...Do not write about something you do not have a clue, so you spare us such nonsense we read =)

It looks like my post touched you personally. I'm wondering why...

By the way - you shouldn't write "us" and "we". I didn't notice that the others have some special problem with my posts.

Ps. And I will not make you any favor. You writing your nonsense (in my opinion) I'm writing my (in your opinion) and we all have right to this. Even you.

reybies
08-12-2011, 02:26 AM
admin hello!

scam or not?

hope it's not..

post your comments on the following site...

facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/NVIDIA?ref=ts

Nvidia blog:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/08/and...re/?sf1970002=1

yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/nvidia-cgsoci...-170019949.html

note: its only a wakeup call so in the next competition the admin/organizer/jury will be more careful applying the real rules...tnx

Keenly
08-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Hello Everyone.

HUGE Congratulations to everyone!!
Brilliant images and imagination all round.

Sad reading the negativity in this thread. You all made fantastic images and should be proud of yourselves.

We will have to make sure the descriptions are easier to interpreted for future challenges like this.
Product visualization and artistic imagery were both important in this challenge, but at the end of the day this is a CG Art website and the description only asked for 'your vision of the future'.

"Where's my JETPACK!"

reybies
08-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Get small. Think big.

The evolution of portable technology will empower all of us in exciting new ways. To do more, in more places. To bring our home, or our work, with us wherever we go. Or leave it all behind and escape. The elements of technology are getting smaller, thinner, and lighter than ever before.

Which gives our imaginations the power to think bigger.

Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience in a revolutionary—yet realistic, attainable—way, delivering groundbreaking new thinking on performing everyday tasks. In addition to prizes for best artistic imagery, there will be a special prize for the best product visualization

all the winners have that.... :banghead:

Product visualization and artistic imagery were both important in this challenge, but at the end of the day this is a CG Art website and the description only asked for 'your vision of the future'.

99.9% artistic
00.1% imaginations the power to think bigger

Yes, you're right but you have to focus on the subject like the gadget/product it self not on the girl or the environment the judges said. The juries are not aware how we focus our artistic imagination on the real subject.

about "Useful Inspiration" it's totally junked....

congrats to all the participants....we are the real winners.... :buttrock:

AlexisC12
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
The result of this contest was clearly a JOKE. :shrug:

The theme clearly states that entry must be attainable in the next decade and not some movie inspired technology.

I guess the judges were all fans of Starwars and other sci-fi movie. They did not have the proper knowledge about the whole thing at all. Pure ignorance of the theme and the rules

davek1979
08-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I see this as a very positive thread. In comparison to the last year, there are far more people here with their eyes open. I know 2 good artists (if you can say so by the great comments their artwork gets) who participated in the past, yet they didn't this year because of the way CGS handled NVArt5. Guess there will be even less people here next year.
In time, this kind of "private judging" will create enough disappointment which will either diminish the meaning of this competition or improve it dramatically.
Either way - community wins. Community always wins.
Someone should wake up to that fact.

BebeteLANUITE
08-12-2011, 10:35 AM
I see this as a very positive thread. In comparison to the last year, there are far more people here with their eyes open. I know 2 good artists (if you can say so by the great comments their artwork gets) who participated in the past, yet they didn't this year because of the way CGS handled NVArt5. Guess there will be even less people here next year.
In time, this kind of "private judging" will create enough disappointment which will either diminish the meaning of this competition or improve it dramatically.
Either way - community wins. Community always wins.
Someone should wake up to that fact.

+1
Why not a public voting category as proposed earlier in the thread ?
With the risk of friendly voting but i think artists of the forum will be enough objective to make a fair vote.

elfenoir
08-12-2011, 11:53 AM
+1
Why not a public voting category as proposed earlier in the thread ?
With the risk of friendly voting but i think artists of the forum will be enough objective to make a fair vote.
+1 I think it's a very good idea

reybies
08-12-2011, 12:20 PM
"Where's my JETPACK!"

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100813162047/vampcat/images/thumb/e/ef/Silverjetpack.jpg/587px-Silverjetpack.jpg (http://vampcat.wikia.com/index.php?title=Jetpack&image=Silverjetpack-jpg)

darkreel
08-12-2011, 01:40 PM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100813162047/vampcat/images/thumb/e/ef/Silverjetpack.jpg/587px-Silverjetpack.jpg (http://vampcat.wikia.com/index.php?title=Jetpack&image=Silverjetpack-jpg)

Very artistic. Congrats. First prize. I see the vision, the flying towards the future, the innovation and really bad clothing that will come. :applause:

About the helmet. Darth Vader would be envious. This summer we wear golden not black lol.

Rez007
08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Hello Everyone.

Sad reading the negativity in this thread. You all made fantastic images and should be proud of yourselves.

We will have to make sure the descriptions are easier to interpreted for future challenges like this.

"Where's my JETPACK!"

I find it concerning that with this issue going around, that it seems like you are brushing off the issue onto the contestants, as in, that we should "know better" because it is a CG Art website, and your "scapegoat" is your one statment of "...the description only asked for...your vision of the future." It is obvious that that was not the only rule, as it specifically stated not Sci-fi and obtainable in 10 years. What is the point of having rules if they do not apply and the answer given is "its a CG Art site..?" This is a good example of why the online art industry seems to lack a "professional" aspect. Why would returning artists want to waste time in another contest, if there will be a lingering question if they will be beat by an entry that is not relavent to the topic?

I am glad for the winners as they all had nice products, as well as the everyone who entered. I just really think that what was presented to all of us as rules to follow, and the end result is obvious that something was not right...

reybies
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
...........deleted post......

Rez007
08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
@reybies

I think you just went too far by posting that image. Lets keep this professional and constructive - don't bash the winners...that is not cool at all.

ICD
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
How that girl with the photoshop hologram have a chance to "change the world" or inspire someone to create........I don't know. For me is just a cheap render without meaning and useless. If you play a computer game, with wizards and spells, cast one and print screen, you got a superior render and better "holograms". And still, it won.
I guess a billion words can't describe the failure of this challenge.
But good lock, people, some of you, really can create stuff.
I hope the next will be better judged, deeper, otherwise, it's pointless for many of us.
And for admin, well, we're not negative about it, we're not envious, I guess we're just surprised that we respected the rules and the prize was given to someone who didn't. And I'm sorry to say but that makes me think the first prize was somewhat arranged. You just can't miss 10k, to some fool in Europe or Asia, can you ?
I just hope I'm wrong and negative about it, you know. And that the next will be better, fair and will help the community. I always felt that this contest lack a lot of the good designers already. You should ask yourself why. Why you had to give it another month, cause there were few and bad quality entries on the first dead line...and then, some of us thought, well let's do it, only do be deeply disappointed by the results. Do you think the next will be better, at this paste ? I just have the feeling that it won't and it will be even harder to gather a competent crowd.

reybies
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5625/blindl.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/blindl.jpg/)

JeanSambolec
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
testing replay

chandro
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
The description and rules opt me to a lot of careful thinking to come up with an idea (dont want to be disqualified)
"something we can all aspire to in the decade to come. Not sci-fi"
and checking also the useful inspiration which the main focus is the product
thus it constraint most of us
as a result almost all the entries delivers within the said parameters
but
whether Holograms (as floating in completely open space) going to be possible in a decade or not
but how the description and rules was presented

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/intel-and-nokia-researching-sci-fi-3d-ui-and-holograms-for-cellphones-20100824/

James1verse5
08-12-2011, 05:50 PM
What I would like, is for the administrators to specifically address what they meant when they said "Realistic and attainable", "The decade to come", and "Not sic-fi".

My entry, (http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/James1verse5/final_image/9997168 ), while not as flashy, still holds to the supposed guidelines of this contest. The case is true for many other entries as well. If you WANTED the unattainable, the si-fi, and the distant future, then we could have easily provided that. There was no where in the contest description that hinted of the want of those kinds of inventions.

Bispo3d
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
:beer: that's good guys we expose our point of view, the organization will surely improve for the next contests.
because the current policy of not following rules is taking people away for upcoming contests.

:thumbsup: hugs for all of us will see in the next contest .

reybies
08-13-2011, 02:14 AM
:beer: that's good guys we expose our point of view, the organization will surely improve for the next contests.
because the current policy of not following rules is taking people away for upcoming contests.

:thumbsup: hugs for all of us will see in the next contest .

.......:wip:.......

Hello Everyone.

"Where's my JETPACK!"

are they learned?.......

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 05:59 AM
I think someone should learn a little about manners and good taste. Making noise, preaching and insulting the organizers, judges and the winners are not enough to become good and respected artist.
It's sad but I have to say that at the end I am a little bit disappointed with the attitude of some participants.
Well ... this is my opinion. If anyone believes otherwise... not take offense - that's not my point.

As Rez007 wrote - lets keep this professional and constructive.

ICD
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
I think someone should learn a little about manners and good taste. Making noise, preaching and insulting the organizers, judges and the winners are not enough to become good and respected artist.
It's sad but I have to say that at the end I am a little bit disappointed with the attitude of some participants.
Well ... this is my opinion. If anyone believes otherwise... not take offense - that's not my point.

As Rez007 wrote - lets keep this professional and constructive.

You shouldn't be disappointed when people express their view about something. After all the attitude was set by something. I don't think people could be so upset it the rules were respected by everyone, including the winner.
Or do you think you will start using holograms on thin air in 10 years ? I don't think so, as it can't be done, is not even SciFi, is simply childish and it won. Don't blame the people for pointing the obvious.

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 10:00 AM
You shouldn't be disappointed when people express their view about something. After all the attitude was set by something. I don't think people could be so upset it the rules were respected by everyone, including the winner.
Or do you think you will start using holograms on thin air in 10 years ? I don't think so, as it can't be done, is not even SciFi, is simply childish and it won. Don't blame the people for pointing the obvious.

I understand that everyone have right to express their view about something.
By the way - my understanding of the rules was a little different. More close to judges point of view I think. Maybe because of my preferences - I'm more intrested by art than technology. I'm working in construction office (designing breaking systems) and... sometimes I'm bored of this (I hope my employers don't read this ;) ).
But I see (maybe more clear now) that the rules could be read in many interpretations - depends on what we focus on. Some could focus on "make it something we can all aspire to in the decade to come" and "Not sci-fi, just amazingly creative". But some (like me for example) - on "Make it artistic and awe-inspiring", "Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience" and "First and foremost, submitted works will be judged on the strength of their emotive and narrative elements". I think the truth - as usual - is somewhere in the middle and... yes You right - maybe in the future rules should be a little bit more clear.

About disappointed - I don't want to take off right to express. I just would like to not cross the line of good taste. And I think in some cases it happened. For example - I don't think none of us is blind participating in this contest.

Ps. Maybe some of my statements were a bit too sharp. I was angry and... well... maybe sometimes I'm too nervious ;). If I offended someone - sorry for that. As I wrote - that was not my point. It was... expression of my view about something ;).

reybies
08-13-2011, 12:35 PM
More close to judges point of view I think. Maybe because of my preferences - I'm more intrested by art than technology.

you must be one of the winners... :banghead:

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 01:19 PM
you must be one of the winners... :banghead:

Well... I hope one day I will be, but not this time.
And... you shouldn't banging your head against the wall so often - it's bad for the brain.

reybies
08-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Well... I hope one day I will be, but not this time.
And... you shouldn't banging your head against the wall so often - it's bad for the brain.

are you one of them? If yes, you're the next winner(NVart7) congrats.....

:banghead: I rather bang my head just to see people winning without honor.....

ICD
08-13-2011, 02:41 PM
You know what is another funny thing ?
That never a winner talks on this forum, on this contest or on others. I wonder why ;).
A winner should defend his view, every time, a true artist always does that. Another fishy thing about all this.
If someone would tell me that my winning design didn't deserved it, I'd come with arguments against it, but here, no one does that. I wonder why.

But anyway, let's hope some lessons were learned. I wish you good luck !

reybies
08-13-2011, 02:46 PM
(NVart5 + NVart6) it's 2nd time, right?

NVart7 (another joke) hmmmm ..3rd hit.....

it's a scam I guess

remember it's a big money.......

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 03:04 PM
are you one of them? If yes, you're the next winner(NVart7) congrats.....

:banghead: I rather bang my head just to see people winning without honor.....

I don't know ... Maybe banging your head damaged your eyes ... I wrote: not this time. Here is a link to my work:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvart06/entry/Jonatan-Moonchild/final_image/9997557
And you can be sure that if I will be "one of them" I will not hide.

All what I was trying to say is that your point of view is not the only one. And all points of view should be respected. So don't tell me about honor.

@ ICD - good point. By the way - my girlfriend told me, that she once drove through Your city. It's a small world isn't it? :)

reybies
08-13-2011, 03:15 PM
By the way - my understanding of the rules was a little different. More close to judges point of view I think. Maybe because of my preferences - I'm more intrested by art than technology.

so you're one of them......lol....

so you will break the rules because of your preferences...hahaha ....i like you... you're so funny..... :applause:

what is art without technologywhat is art without paper/ink/pencil....

Here is a link to my work:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvar...l_image/9997557

same idea like the 4th winner....maybe he copied your idea hahaha just joking but he won...that's great...

why are they hiding?

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 03:28 PM

If by "one of them" you mean one them who have different point of view, than yes - I'm "one of them" and I'm proud of it. Proud and... a little bit bored this discussion - its going to be ridiculous, so I think it's my last post in this context.

reybies
08-13-2011, 04:04 PM
If by "one of them" you mean one them who have different point of view, than yes - I'm "one of them" and I'm proud of it. Proud and... a little bit bored this discussion - its going to be ridiculous, so I think it's my last post in this context.

By the way - my understanding of the rules was a little different. More close to judges point of view I think. Maybe because of my preferences - I'm more intrested by art than technology.

so you will break the rules because of your preferences...hahaha ....i like you... you're so funny..... :applause:

Here is a link to my work:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/nvar...l_image/9997557

same idea like the 4th winner....maybe he copied your idea hahaha just joking but he won...that's great...

why are they hiding?

reybies
08-13-2011, 04:09 PM
hi ihamid (5th winner)

congrats bro... :thumbsup:

davek1979
08-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I hope you realize that while you guys are arguing here, the ones that should be filling these pages with long explanations - are silent.

reybies
08-13-2011, 04:39 PM
cat007 also here....congrats bro

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 04:39 PM
so you will break the rules because of your preferences

I didn't break ANY rule in my work. I suggest think first, write later.

Well.. good point. but here is another one: what is paper/ink/pencil without art? When someone give you paper and pencil what you will draw on it? Another paper and pencil?

reybies
08-13-2011, 04:42 PM
I didn't break ANY rule in my work. I suggest think first, write later.

Well.. good point. but here is another one: what is paper/ink/pencil without art? When someone give you paper and pencil what you will draw on it? Another paper and pencil?

I love it:applause:

latest technology being invisible....

nice talking to you brother...

cat007
08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
cat007 also here....congrats bro

very nice comments, reybies...

lets take a look on your entry... it's looks very special too...

So i see it's a red box with rounded corners, nice...
anything else? Oh wait a second i must read your description.

Now i know you are the winner, because you invented the most usefull "redbox" in the world.
It has every function, that you can ever imagine.
- 24mp Camera
- Mini Weighing Scale
- Universal remote
- SKIN thermal charger
- Built-in mini UV lamp to trace fake money
and so on...

It's just brilliant! pure genius!

are you really sure, that you have thought enough about your work?

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I love it:applause:

latest technology being invisible....

nice talking to you brother...

You making me nervous sometimes :) but... better fight a little than be indifferent. If we are fighting it means we are live. If I may suggest something at the end - more respect for the other contestants. Whatever you think of their works.

Finally - nice talking to You to. :)

reybies
08-13-2011, 05:01 PM
very nice comments, reybies...

lets take a look on your entry... it's looks very special too...

So i see it's a red box with rounded corners, nice...
anything else? Oh wait a second i must read your description.

Now i know you are the winner, because you invented the most usefull "redbox" in the world.
It has every function, that you can ever imagine.
- 24mp Camera
- Mini Weighing Scale
- Universal remote
- SKIN thermal charger
- Built-in mini UV lamp to trace fake money
and so on...

It's just brilliant! pure genius!

are you really sure, that you have thought enough about your work?

JUST TO INFORM YOU HERE'S THE COMPLETE DESCRIPTION

SPECIAL FEATURES

REMOTE MOBILE SYSTEM

It is use to access your AMMEA E91X through the INTERNET to a computer or any smart phone. You can browse your cell phone, answer phone call or even texting is easy even you left the phone. In addition you can upload or download file to this system or control your workstation computer using AMMEA E91X..... ( example: home to office, country to country, etc. )

ADVANCED EMERGENCY MOBILE TRACKER

Use when disaster's strike. Tracing you using your phone is easy, the phone will beep simultaneously when the rescuer access the special tracking system while beepping the screen flashes every 10 mins.

CAMERA

24mp Camera

mini-DSLR zoomable lens

MEASURING DEVICE AND NAVIGATIONAL SYSTEM

Laser distance meter ( for Architect, Engineers or other related jobs )

THERMAL CAM - scan thermal heat ( example for body heat temperature measurement used by doctors)

Built-in compass - can used with or without GPRS

Speed Scanner for moving object ( example moving cars- can used by traffic police )

Mini Weighing Scale

Digital Level

REMOTE

Universal remote

down loadable function key for all remote devices

BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM

SKIN thermal charger

Including wireless thermal pad with power adapter for cold country)

FINGER PRINT TECHNOLOGY

The screen has the ability to scan object ( example place your calling card on the screen and it will scan )

COUNTERFEIT MONEY DETECTOR

Built-in mini UV lamp to trace fake money

TRACE AND PLAY DEVICES

using the latest Bluetooth you can connect any portable devices like headphone, microphone, heart bit detector, portable engineering devices, home appliances, etc.

COMPACK HD

Better than MP4 but clearer like HD

SECURITY - Finger print recognition for ON/OFF/LOCK/POWER switch.

TRACE AND PLAY - For wireless, alternative for "PLUG AND PLAY" for wired gadget.
like...headphone, speaker, health gadget ( heart bit counter), portable engineering tools, thermal pad, home appliances monitoring system.....and more.....

cat007
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
@reybies,

but you forgot something...
it's not a description-contest...

reybies
08-13-2011, 05:16 PM
@reybies,

but you forgot something...
it's not a description-contest...

but its okay I invented the RMS (REMOTE MOBILE SYSTEM) and AEMT (ADVANCED EMERGENCY MOBILE TRACKER) and thats enough for me ..soon my invention will make your fone change.

oops my COMPACK HD high definition player for smart fone and TRACE AND PLAY DEVICES for wireless (like plug and play for wired devices)

google it....

what's new with your entry?

a hologram again.....again...and again....

cat007
08-13-2011, 05:24 PM
@reybies

maybe you have to spend more time on watching my entry.
Perhaps you will see, that there is no holograms included...

reybies
08-13-2011, 05:26 PM
@reybies

maybe you have to spend more time on watching my entry.
Perhaps you will see, that there is no holograms included...

opps my bad i thought it was hologram...

pardon me... :)

great design by the way... :banghead:

ICD
08-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I hope you realize that while you guys are arguing here, the ones that should be filling these pages with long explanations - are silent.

Well, like you, I wonder why. Probably we're supposed to be quiet and "lose with dignity", by default :).

@Jonatan

Well, maybe the next time she travels, then we can meet ;)
How did she like it ?

@cat

what's your entry ?

Jonatan-Moonchild
08-13-2011, 05:50 PM
@Jonatan

Well, maybe the next time she travels, then we can meet ;)
How did she like it ?

Wait a second... You suggesting Your meeting with MY girlfriend? You wanna fight?! ;)
She like it very much. Maybe we will travel to Your country (TOGETHER!!! :) ) one day - it would be nice. Well... if money will give us that opportunity.

Regards

reybies
08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
@cat

what's your entry ?

ICD
08-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Wait a second... You suggesting Your meeting with MY girlfriend? You wanna fight?! ;)
She like it very much. Maybe we will travel to Your country (TOGETHER!!! :) ) one day - it would be nice. Well... if money will give us that opportunity.

Regards

OK, then, give me a call ! :thumbsup:
I'm glad she liked the place, they say is quite Idyllic.. whatever that is :)

reybies
08-16-2011, 05:05 PM
For me personally, problem lies in the description/vision/references of the contest. To much wide and contradictory description with no, yes, no, yes, what? no, realconcept? artconcept? whatconcept? concept concept? yes, no, design, no sci-fi, yes sci-fi, no logic, yes logic! moving? not moving? REAL INNOVATION? no INNOVATION? be ORIGINAL? no ORIGINAL?

Imho, in future, description for this type of contest must be very specific and clear!

Congrats to all winners, go gO g0o o0o oOo0o...

repost....

amscime
08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Ok, to those who have issues with this contest I would like to give you my opinion, I am the first place winner. Ill try to keep this as short so I can and try and answer any additional comments you may have.

To start with the largest issue I think is that many people are upset that the winning entries are not in concordance with the rules. Many people have stated that judging this contest on the art was wrong and that this is a product design competition. I think too many people misunderstood this contest because they keep referring to the same sentence "make it something we can all aspire to in the decade to come. Not sci-fi" but do not bring up the rest of the rules and guidelines of the competition. there is much more that supports this as an artistic competition than anything else. For example:

"Make it artistic and awe-inspiring"

"Show us how your device integrates with the daily human experience in a revolutionary—yet realistic, attainable—way, delivering groundbreaking new thinking on performing everyday tasks." that sentence only shows that it is more than a product shot competition and that they were looking for a whole artistic piece.

"In addition to prizes for best artistic imagery, there will be a special prize for the best product visualization." again same point as above.

Also this was in the judge page: "All judging will be performed internally by the jury. First and foremost, submitted works will be judged on the strength of their emotive and narrative elements, with technical excellence as secondary criteria. Participating artists must demonstrate clarity of thought and emotion in their finished images." I agree that this should have been on the main page.

and in terms and conditions: "Entries will be judged on artistic and technical merit within the scope of the competition theme. The interpretation of these rules, the theme, artistic or technical merit of the work and any other consideration made by the judges is at the sole discretion of the judges."

and in this FAQ forum: this was posted by Mark A Snoswell, cgsociet president " You can do anything you want... but judging is on artistic merit and I suspect that cramming 5 images into one may not result in the best artistic expression."

I do agree that the useful inspiration was misleading and may have resulted in much of the confusion, but over all this contest is presented by a digital art competition and all past competitions have been judged on artistic merit.

Issue 2. "Holograms are way too sci-fi and break the rules of the competition" "aspire to in the decade to come. Not sci-fi, just amazingly creative." this is purely up to the opinion of the artist and it makes no sense to say that using a hologram is wrong because YOU don't think it could happen. He are some example of why I use Holographic technology.

this is from Rhys Jenkin, admin in FAQ. " you can use holograms. (google 'holograms', the future is now!) About 20 years ago my family went to a telecommunications museum and they had a hologram phone as the 'next big leap in phone technology' back then." and this was in response to How will "achievable in a decade" be determine? by Rhys again "If your device doesn't exist by 2021 we will come to your homes and take back the prizes...
Seriously though, if you think it's believable that should be fine.
however, I'd say we're assuming the planet will still be the same. (NOT tools for survival against the zombie apocalypse)

and also some support from the web on why I believe holographic technology is completely realistic in this competition

http://www.itechwhiz.com/2011/01/3d-hologram-technology-on-mobile-phone.html
support from Intel and Nokia

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2010/12/ibms-5-on-5-holograms-will-com.php
support from IBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxJ7FVhGC9o
just a cool vid.

Another issue seems to be that people on this board and others surrounding the competition do not know the difference between constructive artistic criticism and a childish rant. It really borders the line of disrespectful over anything else. Don't go off and fault the winners when the didn't choose to win the competition

Also to clear some things up that I have seen posted...

If you would like to know why my entree could be considered groundbreaking technology please read the description.

The contest was not rigged.

I don't personally know the judges.

Also 5 out of the 6 winners were of this challenge are from out of the united states and 4 out of the 5 winners of last years challenge including first place were out of the U.S. so americans don't always win this.

also my piece was all painted in photoshop, like all of my work. It's not a 3D render or photo or old illustration with a hologram "pasted" on it last minute like some have claimed. If you would like to see high res images of it check it out on my website's illustration page http://artams.com/illustration.html or check out my CGSociety prtfolio.

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to discuss in a RATIONAL way, thanks!

NoxLupi
08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
@ amscime (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=376601)
Congrats! I do not think the winners have to defend there work! I mean why would one break the rules or go off concept? They must have believed in there ideas, otherwise they wouldn't have posted them. ;)

This has nothing todo with anybody breaking the rules, there aren't really any rules. However i do understand why people are a little disappointed, After all, it is a challenge not a gallery... If it was a fashioncontest I could show up with all naked lady's "which i know I would prefer" and hope the judges liked it :D (i know that's a harsh comparison but, it adds contrast) personally i think the only thing they should do for future challenges is cut down on the rules, cause rules only blocks creativity and makes you as a creative person feel that you are gambling rather then pushing in the right direction.

@ CG-Society: Most importent for future contests is, that you keep em coming! :)

amscime
08-21-2011, 06:25 PM
@ NoxLupi
thank you!
The bottom line is really that these are guidelines. the only real "rules" are in terms and conditions.

Here is some more support on holographic technology. It's long but it's worth reading. http://bigthink.com/ideas/24878

Let me give you a few key points that relate to this competition...

"The current system only displays in one color, but the University is stating that perhaps in another decade or so, commercially viable holographic television screens could start hitting the shelves."

"In the next 5 years, this is our goal to demonstrate different feasibilities for that technology. The most important one is video-rate, we want to be able to record our holograms at a rate comparable to television so the viewer de not experience any lag or flickering; and we have already traced the roadmap to achieve it. We also have different setup in mind like a tabletop display where the viewer can look around and see the object according 360°. We are working on that one right now."

"The applications for such a system could essentially change our daily lives. The lead researcher of the development, Nassar Peyghambarian states that "It can be a game changer in some industries." He also states that "the first that come to mind are product demonstrations and giving the ability to actually see a product in 3-D before the money is spent to build it. It also could, for instance, immerse prospective tenants in their new office suite or show hotel mavens the interior decorator's vision for their remodeled rooms." Some other applications could include telemedicine, 3D mapping technologies, entertainment, remote guidance during emergency situations, remote video conferencing, manufacturing, and a myriad of others."

ICD
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
@amscime

Dude, you can write anything you want but that doesn't change the fact that you won a competition for a product design (artistically rendered ?!) that should be made in 10 years, with a little girl and a photoshop hologram. Congratulations ! I don't know how you won or what was all about anymore, but that is what it is. Remember; a picture worth 1000 words, well in this case you can count a billion and still won't make a difference.
I got nothing against you or anyone, don't even care anymore but I am really disappointed about all this. I am disappointed about my entry also, I could have render it better, but something makes me feel that even if I did 1000 renders, I still couldn't have won and you can see the reasons, in previous post of mine or other people.
Congratulations again, anyway and good luck.
Let's admire your future creations, together, this is all past and the lessons are learned.

PS. The holograms you showed are achieved by spinning screens or plans at over 4000 rpm. You can't do that, the way you draw it. You need a vacuum container, to cut the air drag and a lot of energy, to spin the screen or the plate on which you project something with a projector. For example, if you spin your iPhone at 4000 rpm, while having a cube on the screen, the cube will appear like floating. But that is totally another story and hardly a hologram on thin air, is just a spinning screen, that won't be in 10 years from now and that sort of tech, will probably be used in street commercials, not portable devices cause what's the point in spinning your screens ? I'm just sayin'.

amscime
09-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Ok ICD. Well to start I would like to see your entry, you should post it here or in your portfolio. and again I'm sorry you feel like you do but this was not a product design competition. I'm repeating myself but "Make it artistic and awe-inspiring" "In addition to prizes for best artistic imagery, there will be a special prize for the best product visualization."so the product design award is for it's own category. and also "All judging will be performed internally by the jury. First and foremost, submitted works will be judged on the strength of their emotive and narrative elements, with technical excellence as secondary criteria. Participating artists must demonstrate clarity of thought and emotion in their finished images." "Entries will be judged on artistic and technical merit within the scope of the competition theme. The interpretation of these rules, the theme, artistic or technical merit of the work and any other consideration made by the judges is at the sole discretion of the judges." again more that just a product shot, but in your defense the examples shown were misleading.

And for my reason behind the hologram again. this is from IBM "The annual Five on Five gives IBM's predictions for the next five years. The predictions this year are thought provoking but one really caught our attention.The hologram. As in the "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope," kind of hologram." here is the link http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2010/12/ibms-5-on-5-holograms-will-com.php. If it's the video you are referring to I just thought that looked cool it wasn't an explanation for what I did. There are many other compines looking to be the first to develope holograms and they all have faith in the fact that they will, just like I do. apple, nokia even Nvidia, I promose look around the web a bit and you'll find it

All this aside everyone did a great job in this competition no question. And for who the JUDGES chose that is with them, there is no reason why you should fill up the boards being disrespectful to myself and the other winners. they chose us remember not the other way around. we just participated just like you did. you have every right to be critical but you sometimes go over the boarder a bit and it becomes condescending. i understand, your upset but honestly you have to take it a bit easy man. Don't get discourage from a loss, now you can compete again with more wisdom and knowledge of what to expect and deliver.

ICD
09-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Well, I invite you to search through the entries, what you say ? Maybe you'll see that clearly many of them just respected the requirements and lost with that occasion.
And disrespectful, I'm not, if respectful to you means agreeing with whatever is served, then to me is not. If I'm at some restaurant and they serve me rotten food, I won't bite it and I won't be disrespectful and throw it in their faces, how I should, by the way, but leave that stinky place and search for something else or try to tell them they suck in some respectful manner.
And I think the IBM hologram, well, is just crap, a childish prediction, you won't have that in 10 years, or 100.
But all that doesn't matter now, anyway. If they wanted to hear what we got to say, they did already, if they didn't then they didn't and everyone gets whatever he wants out of it.

You should better tell us how those Quadros work, instead of this long boring talk :)
Did you had to pay like fees to have them won or something ? Or they were covered.
And how they move, by the way...like better than a Radeon 5000 :) ?

amscime
09-02-2011, 12:23 AM
The "requirements" are completely an opinion, this is a compitition about our future how can any of it be wrong? I feel that everyone was within the requirements minus just a handful who I think were really confused and put things like cars and weapons. and I am not asking you to agree but there are better was about showing how you feel about this competition than filling up the board and passively insulting the winners in my opinion. anyways I'll have to pay takes on these prizes here in the states for sure which sucks but it is what it is. ill have to put money aside to pay up to uncle Sam next year lol.

And for the quadros I'm sure they'll be great. I have friends who can use the cards more than I can. I don't know or have ever used 3D programs such as Maya or cinima, All my work is painted in Photoshop, but having them will probably give me the incentive to start learning 3D. Some friends and I have been talking about starting a small production company so this may go towards getting that going:)

ICD
09-02-2011, 01:13 AM
I'm not insulting the winners, just saying is all somewhat up side down. Hmm..uncle Sam is squeezing all the butter out of you there now, you can't enjoy your quadros properly with a few pretty girls and some fine wine to celebrate.......you'll be just alone but hey...uncle Sam will take care of the girls, for you with those money :scream: !
Good to hear you're into starting something, nice you have people to start with properly. Well if u're going to learn 3d, you must start as soon, it takes a lot of time to learn enough to be sattisfied with it.......I mean to impress even the most skeptical chicks :thumbsup:. You never know when some of them might recruit you for something..hmm.

amscime
09-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Lol well thanks man. Listen don't give up on competing in these, even though some found problems with this all contests deal with this especially when it has to do with art and design.
It may be you next time as a winner defending your position ;)

reybies
09-02-2011, 06:53 PM
@amscime
congrats dude

nvart 6: 1st price winner
nvart 5: 2nd price winner

you're very lucky.....

:bounce:

amscime
09-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey man thanks you! I am very fortunate and grateful for this to happen!

stefgrafx
09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I dont know what you get spitting venom on winners works, judges etc, you dosen´t deserve a cg comunity as cgsociety, hiding your real name, creating a profile only to expres your frustration... its really sad to see those kind of reactions, hope to see some of your work anyway, to see your "artistic taste". cheersYes, it was a fiasco :bounce: . Why? Simply because people were not informed to make the best decisions . Seeing the winning entries, there is clearly a pattern and some "musts":

Final Conclusion: