PDA

View Full Version : Critique needed for my first Mattepainting

laz33
05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Right so i been working on this project for quiet long now im a graphics design student in college (2nd year) and for my FMP ( final major project ) i decided to make a illustartion of Norwich being abandoned / destroyed. the picture is build up from about 5-10 pictures that i have taken of the city and i started editing it and some constructive critisism would be great. it is not finished yet im propably about half way throught. aye and the size is abit smaller than a A1 sheet because it will be printed out for my final exhibition. therefore its around 10000px x 5000 at 300 dpi.

This is the first time i have ever attempted digital editing similar to this so dont be too harsh :p

Thanks Laz.

link http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/5585688/img/5585688.jpg

RicoD
05-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Welcome to the forums laz!

I don't know much about matte painting really, so I can only offer what I see. But maybe you can extract info from it and seek solutions to them. I'm sure many have had the same problems and found solutions for them.

The first thing I notice is that the comets really stand out. Especially the smoke trail looks pasted in, because their value stays constant. Therefore they appear to get darker at the top, which is strange. It's supposed to be the point that's the furthest away from us and ought to be more towards the colour and value of the sky as opposed to closer objects.

The city looks like a morning or middle of the day shot, whereas the sky looks like it's late afternoon. This clashes too. The light is completely different at that time of the day and the heavy, dark clouds will cast some pretty noticeable shadows. Try to find some pictures of city views at that time of day with similar weather conditions and find the cues that really gives it that look. Different colour temperature, coloured highlights, colour in the shadows, different values and such.

The third thing that immediately caught my eye was the street with the cars. They look really skewed. I like how it curves near the center and leads your eye into the image.

The buildings in the midground seem to have too large a value range. Their darks are as dark or sometimes even darker than the foreground objects. Aerial perspective comes into play again and the air particles would give them a smaller value range.Hazing them a bit towards the sky colour would help a lot.

I hope you'll get something useful out of this and good luck! Looks promising!

laz33
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for your advice, it really helped me alot, you told me things i didnt think about really so it is greatly appriciated.

do you know any good tutorials on how to make good smoke trails? i been trying to figure it out for about 3 hours now and i still cant get it right :/

laz33
05-05-2011, 12:02 AM
the smoke from the meteorite still fails bad i think. any suggestions? im really stuck now been trying to figure out what and how to do it for hours now....

link: http://img35.imageshack.us/i/smokefailsstill.jpg/

BillyWJ
05-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Soften it up some. At that distance, you would'nt see that much detail. You're also still a bit dark - in real life, more of the environment's color would reflect, except for the fire bits. Add some more of the greys and blues from the clouds to the smoke, near the edges, to blend it in a bit. You don't need a lot - matte work is subtle, anyway. You don't have to be exact, just give the illusion of reality. If you look at real mattes up close, they tend to painted very loosly at the paint stroke level.

Grab a copy of The War for Los Angeles, or any of the blockbuster movies that have effects like this. Look at still frames to see how they did it.

RicoD
05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Looking at and breaking down photos of distant smoke would also help. Whenever in doubt, find reference. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.