PDA

View Full Version : Using Flex in combination with Bones

ljilekor
10-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Is it possible to combine a flex with a bonedeform?
It would surprise me if it wasn't. And if it ain't it should be.

It would be very useful to create natural musclelike effects.
ThE big difference between flex and flexmotion is that the mesh slides over the curve (like the spherize tool). Just like real muscles. Spherize doesn't have the FLEXibility.

Imagine how easily it could solve the arm-shoulder problem and other similar deformationproblems.:rolleyes:

grzesiekj
10-25-2003, 06:23 AM
HI
Yes, it is possible. flex in Messiah 4.0 is working really great.
You can set its influence to curve points weight.

After that, bones effect should be set using predeformed points.

that way you can create the whole musculature on your character in default pose, and then deform it with bones.

Curve weights are working really great. bloat, bones, even softbody effect can be used in conjunction with curve tool.

I can only wish morphs can read curve weights :)

best

Grzesiek

ljilekor
10-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanx,
I guess I'll have to try it in version 4. In 3.3 I can't assign metaeffectors to my curvepoints.

I still don't understand why my mesh gets so faked up as soon as I activate the flextool. Is it because my curve is not situated at the origin? How can I position my curve exactly where I want it?

:argh:

lmilton
10-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by grzesiekj
HI
Curve weights are working really great. bloat, bones, even softbody effect can be used in conjunction with curve tool.

I can only wish morphs can read curve weights :)

best

Grzesiek

Doh! Yeah, that's on the list and was supposed to be added in the latest patch, along with weights for Melt. There was just not enough time to squeeze it in this patch since we poured most our focus into render. However, Melt weights did make it in;)

We'll letcha know when weights are compatible with MorphBlender.

-lyle

lmilton
10-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ljilekor
Thanx,
I guess I'll have to try it in version 4. In 3.3 I can't assign metaeffectors to my curvepoints.

I'm not sure what you mean by "assign". Can you clarify?

I still don't understand why my mesh gets so faked up as soon as I activate the flextool. Is it because my curve is not situated at the origin? How can I position my curve exactly where I want it?

I suspect that it's not the curve, but the mesh. In 3.3, Flex always assumed the mesh to be headed in the positive Z direction. Further, if you where attempting to use Flex on just a portion of the model, you'd have to use PuppetMaster sections. Otherwise, it would affect the *entire* mesh... I doubt that's what you're after.

However, with version 4 it's a different ballgame, altogether. Flex is compatible with weights, so there's no need to use PuppetMaster for this. You can also have your model oriented along any axis, even arbitrary... even distorted! Further, Curve is now a "weight class" tool, and as such, is compatible with BoneDeform and all other effects that use weights (even with WeightSpot for you studio users;}).

I'd definately recommend checking out messiah:animate 4. But then you'd expect me to say that, wouldn't you;) I wouldn't stear you wrong just to increase revenue, though. The mechanisms in 4 were designed to address most of the issues you've encountered.

best

-lyle

ljilekor
10-27-2003, 08:47 AM
Great! I guess I'll just have to order Messiah 4.
It's really awesome. Keep up the good work. Motionbuilder can start packing and go home. ;)

ljilekor
10-29-2003, 09:51 AM
I tried it in the demo version. I almost got a satisfying result, but not quite.

I must admit I'm a bit lost in all those weight settings (CurvePoint Weights, Metaeffectors, ... ???). It's getting quite blurry on which does what.

I set up a curve with curvepoints parented to different bones (spine,shoulder, upperArm) with tangents = curvepointorientation on a distorted axis with a constant metaeffector.
My mesh still jumps a bit out of restposition (out of control) when I exit the setup mode.

And my mesh doesn't really slide over my curve around the shoulder/armpit area.

What I'm looking for is a system like the flexmotion effect where the mesh is not locked to the curve (cause of the bones) but slides over the curve. Nothing more, nothing less.

grzesiekj
10-29-2003, 07:29 PM
these are my settings for the flex.
I dont parent the curve points to the bones though, since that ends up with the weird point twisting.
You may wanna try "move to" constraint instead of parenting ...

lmilton
10-30-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by grzesiekj
these are my settings for the flex.
I dont parent the curve points to the bones though, since that ends up with the weird point twisting.
You may wanna try "move to" constraint instead of parenting ...

This sounds like it would be really effective. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action;)

-lyle

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.