PDA

View Full Version : Video clip Moby Be the one

rept0r
05-03-2011, 05:59 PM
This is my video clip for moby contest on vimeo, Be the one
Its pretty rough but i am proud of it. I am still planning on making a more clear version of it but this is what i have for now
Be the one Moby (http://vimeo.com/23155346)

rept0r
05-05-2011, 03:46 AM
Cmon guys is it that bad ? I live in small city in the middle of nowhere, no support to make that kinda of thing strugling to find a job, i am working in a pet shop right now, a word of advice would be very welcome i had my glory days but now all i have is no perspective, things are kinda tough i really need a job with 3d but i lost all my contacts dedicating myself to make a short that will never be finished, i dont know if i am fit to do any 3d anymore noone seems to care about my work, think ill be sharing the files of the short so people could have some idea of how things are something i never had learning 3d, all i have learnt with swet and tears but nobody seem to care about it nowdays, if you dont have the attention everyone assumes its garbage, i am not sure but i am starting to believe all i ever done was garbage indeed.

ConnortheCraftmaster
05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
things are kinda tough i really need a job with 3d but i lost all my contacts dedicating myself to make a short that will never be finished, i dont know if i am fit to do any 3d anymore noone seems to care about my work.

You have a high opinion on your own work... and it is pretty good, but that can blind you like it has so many others. Just because you spend a lot of time making a single project does not make it worth watching to the average viewer... a lot of people don't understand this and expect to be welcomed with confetti and be worshiped after spending months... even YEARS on 1-10 minutes worth of material.

The fact is, unless you create something that everyone can relate to that's appealing to the largest audience your chances of exposure and recognition is very, very slim even when your target audience is a niche one. That's why businesses are so hesitant to gamble on ideas that are original; there is a lot of time and money to be lost here.

Personally, I do feel your work could be worth a lot to some people... you might want to look through the general forums and search for terms like "finding a job", "work in 3d" and whatnot, there are a TON of threads about that there.

rept0r
05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I know exactly what you men Connor, my problem is exactly this one, i cant make something people can relate because i cant finish the project the proper way wich was a short film with story and everything things became a little heavy a project that was meant to take a year slowly became a 4 year project, now i am left with footage of a project that has no story i am just sitting on it hoping i can get a job with it, i actually went bersek with the project and lost my mind this was the point i decided to quit, now i dont know what to do with what is left and cant seem to find a place to fit in, all ever wanted was a job.

ConnortheCraftmaster
05-05-2011, 11:59 PM
now i dont know what to do with what is left and cant seem to find a place to fit in, all ever wanted was a job.

Have you ever considered finding a project to collaborate on? It wouldn't leave you any richer of course, but I imagine it would bring you one step closer to having enough diverse material for a good demo reel. It can also help you develop a social network, which from what I hear is critical to success in the 3d media field. Not only that, but there are chances that you could exchange ideas and techniques that you'd otherwise never get in a solo project. Of course, in addition it is a lot more motivating to see work get done in reasonable timeframes with the benefit of a team.

I know it doesn't mean much coming from someone of my skill level, but you have so much potential.

ralphymeijer
05-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I can see why you feel a little frustrated. Sometimes you lose yourself in a project and you can't look at it in fresh way. I really think you have great potential. It's just that other stuff takes the attention away from your strongest points. I think the shading, modeling and lighting are the strongest in this piece. It just lacks the animation. Maybe you should construct a reel focusing on shading etc. with just some turntables and keeping the models static. This way you're focusing on your strongest assets. People just get distracted if the animation is not good enough.

It's always a struggle and it never comes easy. Just keep going and eventually you will find a job.

Good luck!

rept0r
05-10-2011, 08:06 PM
ralphy, you are propably right, i have plans of doing the turntables, and plans of packing things and releasing the files so people can aprecciate it fully, soon as i make a website i ll post it again turntables and files.

I rendered a still from the animation, makes me happy http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8697/lola3h.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8697/lola3h.jpg)

DanFromFaction
05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
For whatever it's worth, dude: I really dug it. Particularly the orange-man chain-tower. Wicked. Loved it.

HughBowen
05-15-2011, 04:46 AM
so what films did you rip?

Since they say you didn't make this on the comments.

ConnortheCraftmaster
05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
so what films did you rip?

Since they say you didn't make this on the comments.

I think by "other films" they meant the few places like youtube, the test clips on vimeo and websites featuring images or clips of the content uploaded by the author which they just happened to call them "movies". I have little doubt the poster made the content.

Most contests like the Moby one require that the footage not be published anywhere else, that's what they meant. In this case though, I think it was really unprofessional of the person who commented on the vimeo video to spout out the rules (thus opening it up to misunderstanding) rather than directly contacting the author via private message or email.

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.