PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over softimage versions!

Black_Fox
04-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Ok, Im getting confused here:
There's the softimage 2011 version, the 2011 Subscription advantage pack, the 2011.5 with lagoa version and the 2012 version (we are still in the year 2011, right??)
At the same time most people still mainly use the 2010 version;

WTF?!

Can someone please explain what the difference is between all the 2011 versions??

mattmos
04-30-2011, 11:38 PM
2010 was the last pretty stable release that didn't corrupt people's shader networks, so it is still used extensively.
2011 was the next yearly release.
2011.5 is called the subscription advantage pack to sell the advantages of subscription. That includes lagoa.
2012 is the latest yearly version. Waiting on a hotfix for MR rendering delay to become usable.

To add to the confusion there will be hotfixes released for 2011 and 2011.5 for the aforementioned shader corruption. (which means I guess they've solved it hurrah!)

Autodesk is for better or worse ensuring a release every year with a confusing insistence on naming it a year ahead, to fall in line with its other products. I'm guessing we will also see .5 releases inbetween the yearly ones to make you feel like the subscription is worth paying. Though they won't actually be called .5 releases, and they will have incredibly long file path names that cause unnecessary hassle. Please shorten to SAP please!

There you go. Clear as mud!

calmasacow
05-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Next release will be 2012 SP1. to fix MR start delay. though I don't think this delay qualifies as making it unusable. I know of several studios that have gone ahead with it by and large is is a great improvement over any previous version. I think that this is going to come very soo and we should prolly still get a mid-year version "read: subscription only" I think these are going to start being the norm.

adrencg
05-04-2011, 01:55 AM
2010 was the last pretty stable release that didn't corrupt people's shader networks, so it is still used extensively.
2011 was the next yearly release.
2011.5 is called the subscription advantage pack to sell the advantages of subscription. That includes lagoa.
2012 is the latest yearly version. Waiting on a hotfix for MR rendering delay to become usable.

To add to the confusion there will be hotfixes released for 2011 and 2011.5 for the aforementioned shader corruption. (which means I guess they've solved it hurrah!)

Autodesk is for better or worse ensuring a release every year with a confusing insistence on naming it a year ahead, to fall in line with its other products. I'm guessing we will also see .5 releases inbetween the yearly ones to make you feel like the subscription is worth paying. Though they won't actually be called .5 releases, and they will have incredibly long file path names that cause unnecessary hassle. Please shorten to SAP please!

There you go. Clear as mud!

The rendering delay hardly makes 2012 unusable.

I do know one thing about 2012 that is amazing...I've been using it for many hours per day for the last 2 weeks and it has only crashed about 3 times -- versus 10 times a day with previous versions.

RebelPixel
05-04-2011, 11:44 AM
The render delay doesnt make it unusable if you use few geometry and do simple scenes, when you start to have a normal scene like an architecture, animated stuff more geometry and other things, it is just unusable.

Every render region or preview you want to check your shaders takes ages, you have to hide everything everytime, and the line is pretty thin, i mean the geometry where it starts to hang is really few.

For people who uses Mental ray in softimage and not 3delight or arnold, it was a total blast, and totally unusable unless you render a sphere on a plane.

ShaderOp
05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
and totally unusable unless you render a sphere on a plane.
But reflective spheres on checkerboard planes are like 95% of all 3D renders produced world wide!

mattmos
05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
The rendering delay hardly makes 2012 unusable.

That comment was a bit flippant, in fact my whole post was ;)

I've been using 2012 for the last few days and its a reasonably solid release, in combination with momentum 2 and a certain beta renderer I'm not getting anywhere near the same amount of crashes that I had in 2011, so it does look promising. I'm still finding it painful to work with MR because of the delay though so am just avoiding it as much as possible and hoping the fix comes sometime soon. The progressive rendering is a step in the right direction.

Not a fan of the changes to the animation editor, losing some options like value fields for tangent handles is a shame. Glad they kept the classic view, just hope it doesn't get retired in favour of the maya-ised version.

calmasacow
05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
yeah if you are not using MR as you main renderer. then 2012 is hands down the way to go! it is awsome. In response the guy getting 3 crashes a day? really? 3 a day? what are you doing? our average scene is around 10 million polys and I think maybe I have had 5 crashes total. and out of those I would say prolly 4 were my fault. "bad customer shaders"

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.