PDA

View Full Version : setups for production collapsing structures?

savat
04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey...sorry but I've overwrite my post because I clicked on "edit" instead of "reply".

Ok, this thread is a failure:cry:

however I want to post a little test: a collapsing bridge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_G-C3MCEaE).
I suppose this is a good starting point and skinning all meshes creates a more clean form.
obviuosly, a closeup at this stage is an orrible anmation.

At this point, I hope other people post some test about this argument to explane me how long can goes box #2 and physx first of encounter the thinking particles gurus.

savat
05-16-2011, 09:55 PM
continuing my research about collapsing structures, in this test (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSavatMind?feature=mhee) I tryed to focalize 2 things:

- how slowly need to be a large scale simulation;
- how subdivided need to be a mesh to be ripped nicely by the skin particle modifier (too clear cut in my case).

this is not an in depth test but I want to save it and others in this post to make a sense to it:).

JohnnyRandom
05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey that's pretty decent, maybe a touch fast IMO, but real close.

You can with the particle skinner mesh, setup your subdivisions to match the edges of the control particles, so your areas of dense mesh only exist around the regions of separation.

savat
05-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey that's pretty decent, maybe a touch fast IMO, but real close...

thanks johnny, I "camera mapped" and comped to observe with terrain mesh/texture behavior in rips parts. my scale time (in the physx world) is 25% but you're right, is a bit faster...suppose 15% is a good retiming.
regarding the poles (partlicle geometry), for some reasons, I can't bind cables (particle geometry) on them and the simulation loses in reality :). I attack the file...if some one can explane me were I wrong I would be grateful.

...You can with the particle skinner mesh, setup your subdivisions to match the edges of the control particles, so your areas of dense mesh only exist around the regions of separation.

my stack for skinned mesh is:

7-turbo smooth - I round a bit my rips;
6-shell;
5-particle skinner;
4-poly select;
3-mesh smooth - I subdivide only this part over its area;
2-vol select - I select the mesh near cracks particles geometry;
1-editable poly.

now, I you're talking about a different thing, right? can explane me with an example file? thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2011, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.