PDA

View Full Version : Snowball thrown at a character?

Gloor
04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey guys,

I have two characters having a snowball fight and I'm not that fluent with dynamics so would you say that my best bet is the new DMM? Create a simple sphere, have it turned to DMM and as soon as the snowball hits the character it shatters?

Or are there any other easy solution that I could try? I looked at the DMM and it looks fairly easy so that is why I thought it might be the best choice for me.

What do you think?

Thank you

Phlok
04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Well, whilst also being keen on testing DMM, this is a new feature in a new version of Maya that has been released just a couple of days ago. Using one of the new features prior to the release of SP1 could turn out to be nightmare.

You might try the following:

- use aome nParticles and make them clump together, using the internal Force field/ self attract.
- upon impact, lower the selfAttraction.
- you might also use a particle event editor, and create some new Particles upon contact and kill the old ones in order to create the splashing effect.

Gloor
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, whilst also being keen on testing DMM, this is a new feature in a new version of Maya that has been released just a couple of days ago. Using one of the new features prior to the release of SP1 could turn out to be nightmare.

You might try the following:

- use aome nParticles and make them clump together, using the internal Force field/ self attract.
- upon impact, lower the selfAttraction.
- you might also use a particle event editor, and create some new Particles upon contact and kill the old ones in order to create the splashing effect.

Thanks for your reply. Would you have a tutorial explaining how to do it on hand pls?

Aikiman
04-30-2011, 08:53 AM
nParticles and isomesh.

Gloor
04-30-2011, 09:29 AM
nParticles and isomesh.

Thank you,

would you mind giving me a bit more info please? The reason I ask is that I will have to learn it so it would help me to know which one gives the best result and is the easiest to learn. Its for a short movie with not photorealistic look so it needs to look decent but nothing insanely fancy. Just believable ;)

fizzbin
05-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Thank you,

would you mind giving me a bit more info please? The reason I ask is that I will have to learn it so it would help me to know which one gives the best result and is the easiest to learn. Its for a short movie with not photorealistic look so it needs to look decent but nothing insanely fancy. Just believable ;)

Here is a simple DMM scene with a snowball that (I hope) behaves like you want. Increase toughness to get larger chunks. I have adjusted the material properties of the snowball so that it deforms and breaks up like a snow chunk would. You can add sound and particles to the vertices to get a more "snowy" feel, but this should get you started.

I have included some playblasts too. This is with the latest DMM from the Maya 2012 hotfix just posted.

This took me about half an hour to do. Most of the time was spent adjusting material settings. I tried out different settings for gravity, adjusting plasticity, toughness as well as object density (start with a low density DMM object and increase the tessellation as you get the effects you want (setting is in Density->Area).

-Vik

Gloor
05-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Here is a simple DMM scene with a snowball that (I hope) behaves like you want. Increase toughness to get larger chunks. I have adjusted the material properties of the snowball so that it deforms and breaks up like a snow chunk would. You can add sound and particles to the vertices to get a more "snowy" feel, but this should get you started.

I have included some playblasts too. This is with the latest DMM from the Maya 2012 hotfix just posted.

This took me about half an hour to do. Most of the time was spent adjusting material settings. I tried out different settings for gravity, adjusting plasticity, toughness as well as object density (start with a low density DMM object and increase the tessellation as you get the effects you want (setting is in Density->Area).

-Vik

Wow, this is amazing and really helpful. Thank you very much for that, much appreciated :)
You actually gave me a nice bday present (today yesterday was my bday) :)))))

fizzbin
05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Wow, this is amazing and really helpful. Thank you very much for that, much appreciated :)
You actually gave me a nice bday present (today yesterday was my bday) :)))))

Glad to be of help...and Happy Belated Birthday :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.