PDA

View Full Version : cg character on movie footage 2

hunter7338
10-24-2003, 05:33 AM
HI,

working on combustion 2.1 and 3dsmax 5

im working with this little animation, this is the first time Im compositing a cg character on real footage, and this is the progress, the animation, tracking and masks are done, but i would like to know a good way to process the shadows application, i have paint compositing in mind, but if there is any good and better way to do it please let me know.

From the original shot, ive desaturated the alien and added some grain,, theres some work to do yet,.

critics are welcome, :thumbsup:

thank you in advance.
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/heirloom/composite.jpg

Jayk2k
10-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Do a basic match of the geometry in max, and apply the matte/shadow material to it. Render your alien agains this, and it will generate a shadow. Be sure to check the options under the material, because I think it defaults to opaque alspha, which won't work.

Pay attention to the shadow colour and softness, and set your lights in max appropriately.

In the comp app, you should be able to comp what you need as a basic pass. If you need more control over just the shadows, apply a compound math ( i think that's what it's called) to subtract a copy of teh alien alone from the alien+shadow layer. Thus giving you just the shadows to colour correct, blur, etc.

hunter7338
10-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Thank you, that sounds more simple than working shadows with paint,. and I already had the virtual room for the animation, so i just have to add the matte/shadow material and that should do it.

:beer: thanks ,.

:D cocoon

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.