PDA

View Full Version : Is animation mentor good for beginners/noobs for 3d animation?

lilphilog
04-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Hi i would like to know Is animation mentor good for beginners/noobs for 3d animation? like do animation mentor teach you how to use maya and other software too or will i have to learn that myself?

Also if i am a beginner and never did 3d animation before, is it best to go to a art school or an online animation school? if so what are some other great art/animation schools and online animation schools?

JonCG
04-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Wait so you've never tried animation before but you want to go to school for it? In my opinion, get a copy of Maya or even blender and do some work before you decide anything. Yes, you may end up falling in love with the field but you are just as likely to hate it and waste a bunch of money.
- Jon

lilphilog
04-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Wait so you've never tried animation before but you want to go to school for it? In my opinion, get a copy of Maya or even blender and do some work before you decide anything. Yes, you may end up falling in love with the field but you are just as likely to hate it and waste a bunch of money.
- Jon

O.K cool blender is free right?

JonCG
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Yes it is, and if you're a student all of the Autodesk products are free as well.
- Jon

lilphilog
04-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Yes it is, and if you're a student all of the Autodesk products are free as well.
- Jon

Great, i have always been interested in 3d animation but never knew where to get started. i will definitely try out the software to make sure i like the process, i'm willing to learn anything i have to do to learn this and willing to put in the hard work to get the hang of these softwares.

JonCG
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Great go for it. You can always go off of free tutorials but I'd really recommend Digital Tutors. When I was first starting off I found it very daunting but they really break it down and you'll learn a lot. Pretty pricey but well worth it in my opinion. Good luck!
- Jon

Artbot
04-29-2011, 08:32 AM
There's also a whole sub-forum for school questions:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=283 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=283)

There you will find many loooong threads about programs like AM.

thethule
05-01-2011, 01:35 AM
I had a friend who did it. Went in knowing absolutely nothing about character animation. Couldnt even do basic stuff. He came out a fantastic animator snapped up by Framestore. So, i would say, yes, its goof for noobs. Be warned, he said you are expected to put in about 20 hours a week, and they do not tolerate lazy students. He said a lot of people were kicked off. Which is good.

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2011, 01:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.