PDA

View Full Version : Maya | Vray | Ambient Occlusion problem

kybel
04-28-2011, 10:32 AM
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8889/aovray.jpg

I would like to turn on global ambient occlusion in my scene, but in rendering globals it is always greyed out . and i cant figure out why

anybody know a solution to my problem?

thanks in advance

bigbossfr
04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes, try this :
setAttr "vraySettings.aoOn" 1;

kybel
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
wow thanks a lot !

cgbeige
04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Just a note that AO is usually done with a VRay Dirt Texture and Extra_Tex render element. I think that AO slows things down noticeably, from what I've read.

tharrell
05-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Just a note that AO is usually done with a VRay Dirt Texture and Extra_Tex render element. I think that AO slows things down noticeably, from what I've read.

Actually, it really depends on your rendering style... using adaptive DMC "universal"-style settings, getting a fast result is a little counterintuitive.

With a vray dirt plugged into extra tex using that methodology, you'll actually want to increase the dirt subdivisions rather high (I've found 32 to be a good starting point) in order to keep the image sampler from going sluggish trying to antialias out all of the noise in the dirt.

Basically, always include your SampleRate pass if you're working universal (or a hybrid). If most of your image is teal to red with almost no blue, the image sampler is working too hard.

--T

cgbeige
05-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Thanks Trey. I'd love to hear some stuff you learned about vray on Tron. You going to Siggraph?

tharrell
05-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks Trey. I'd love to hear some stuff you learned about vray on Tron. You going to Siggraph?

Hadn't planned on it initially due to work load, but some scheduling's shifted recently and it's a pretty good possibility now. Won't know for certain for another month or so though.

I'd love to have an excuse to visit Van again, though!

--T

cgbeige
05-02-2011, 03:30 AM
ya, I hear you're big into your heroin. :beer:

tharrell
05-02-2011, 03:34 AM
I'd schedule a trip just to do omikase at Tojo's again. The heroin's just a bonus. :drool:

--T

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2011, 03:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.