PDA

View Full Version : Disgruntled

bonestructure
04-26-2011, 11:52 PM
I would really like to know why, after several years of belonging here, and many images in the gallery, my work, the last two times I've submitted, was refused for no good reason, as if it were trash. Especially, since in both cases the images were book cover art which I was paid for. I wasn't submitting the images to the CG Choice gallery, just the 3D stills, the same place I've always submitted my images, the same way I've always submitted. I feel like I've been thrown out of CG society, that someone has taken a personal dislike to me for no reason I can comprehend. I work damned hard on my images. The last I submitted, today, was a months work, interrupted only by a hospitalization and a lot of pain. So what's up? Was the site bought by a lot of snobs and only their frioends can be in the gallery. Is it that I'm disabled and can't afford top pay your membership fee so my work is judged unworthy? What? I am very very upset to be treated in this fashion after belonging to and supporting this site as best I can for many years. It just isn't right. I don't often get upset enough over anything to actually make a complaint, but this is too much and it's made me extremely upset. It's no longer a community here anymore. Not under these circumstances.

ndeboar
04-27-2011, 12:05 AM
check out the suggestions forum, there are about 10 threads about this.

ConnortheCraftmaster
04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Nevermind. Misunderstood

leigh
04-27-2011, 12:40 AM
that someone has taken a personal dislike to me for no reason I can comprehend.

I rejected at least 50-60 images today, of which yours was just one. I honestly haven't the energy for petty, childish rubbish like personal grudges - I don't even know you, so how could I possibly have a personal dislike for you? And with all due respect, please spare me the guilt trip about hospitalisation, pain and disability. It's truly irrelevant to this discussion and frankly comes off as cheaply manipulative. This isn't about you as a person, it's about the image you submitted, and as hard as it may be, you really need to understand that rejection of work from a gallery isn't a rejection of you as a person.

There's really no way to say this without sounding cold and abrasive, so apologies for this but I have no choice: I find it incredible that you're hurling a pile of frankly ludicrous accusations at us of favouritism and discrimination and whatnot, instead of considering that perhaps the work you submitted just isn't that great. Can you honestly look at your work and see no room for improvement at all? A few months back, we decided to become much stricter with regards to what gets accepted into the gallery. If that makes us snobs, then so be it, but you won't find a single art gallery on the planet that accepts every submission it receives, and I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably expect us to be any different.

No one said your work was trash, and your work wasn't rejected "for no good reason". A reason was given; the message you received gently suggested that you submit your work to the WIP forum to develop it further, as it currently doesn't meet our gallery standard.

bonestructure
04-27-2011, 12:49 AM
Right, whatever. Sounds like BS to me. Just a way to be elitist. I never said my work couldn't use improvement. But you can say that about EVERY image posted here. And the people who paid me for the image considered it good enough and finished enough to be published. Consider me no longer a patron of this so called community. It's nothing but snobs who feel the need to make themselves better by putting other people down. Some society. You just don't treat people this way. And an art society should care about artists and have respect for them. It's obvious you don't.

aeres
04-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Consider me no longer a patron of this so called community.

You feel mistreated because your image was not accepted?

OK, Bye.

JoshBowman
04-27-2011, 01:14 AM
Your approach to resolving the issue invites a lot of criticism. Not just in the way you've decided to vent but also in the work you've posted.

I've posted a few of my animation showreels for critique over the years and maybe received only one comment between them. I accepted the fact that if nobody was commenting then my work wasn't great or bad, just not good enough to comment "Wow! Amazing!" on or bad enough to really point out obvious flaws. So i sucked it up and got better, didn't whine about not getting any attention and just kept working away at getting better.

Your approach basically alienates you from everyone here and as an honest critique of your work in your cg portfolio, you really need to get a lot better at lighting, shading and composition, it really feels like I'm looking at a WIP gallery. You'll find that if you really want people to pay attention to your work you'll need to put your head down and learn to be a better artist, rather than sulk about people not giving you the attention you think you deserve.

Some society. You just don't treat people this way. And an art society should care about artists and have respect for them. It's obvious you don't.

Posting in the WIP forum and accepting feedback from peers is part of respecting others in the community as well. Caring doesn't mean giving people a false sense of ability or ego, infact it's the opposite, pointing out the good in a work as well as where improvements can be made. If you can't accept that then you don't understand what constructive criticism means and how it helps then feel free to gain the applause of your clients and friends who don't know any different. It's like asking you mum whether she likes your work.

th3ta
04-27-2011, 03:22 AM
Your approach basically alienates you from everyone here and as an honest critique of your work in your cg portfolio, you really need to get a lot better at lighting, shading and composition, it really feels like I'm looking at a WIP gallery.

+1

I'd also like to point out that just because someone decided to pay you for your work, that doesn't really have any bearing on the actual quality of it. For example, I've seen lots of photographers who get paid for absolute horrible work; there's countless examples of this in every industry. Not saying your images are horrible, but there's always a market for every level of work.

I'd definitely follow the above advice about posting in the WIP section and getting as much feedback as you can about improving the image.

leigh
04-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Right, whatever. Sounds like BS to me. Just a way to be elitist. I never said my work couldn't use improvement. But you can say that about EVERY image posted here. And the people who paid me for the image considered it good enough and finished enough to be published. Consider me no longer a patron of this so called community. It's nothing but snobs who feel the need to make themselves better by putting other people down. Some society. You just don't treat people this way. And an art society should care about artists and have respect for them. It's obvious you don't.

I honestly don't understand how rejecting an artwork equates to disrespect. If that were the case, then every art gallery on this planet is disrespectful, and every art instructor in every learning institution lacks respect for their students when they critique their work. The majority of users whose work doesn't get accepted here do not find this upsetting, elitist or counterproductive to the community spirit of the site. On the contrary, most take it as an opportunity to grow as artists by posting in the WIP forums to gain new perspective on their work. With all due respect, your indignance in this matter will only harm you as an artist in the long run, but ultimately there's clearly nothing I can say to persuade you that you're not a victim in a great injustice here, as that's a conclusion that only you can reach for yourself. Dealing with critique and rejection are both essential elements of developing as an artist.

kag122
04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
.......... I work damned hard on my images. The last I submitted, today, was a months work, interrupted only by a hospitalization and a lot of pain......... Is it that I'm disabled and can't afford top pay your membership fee so my work is judged unworthy? What? I am very very upset to be treated in this fashion after belonging to and supporting this site as best I can for many years........

Herp, Dip derpitty, derp derp.

No-one evauluates you based on Pain, disability or anything else. Just your image. Get off your high horse a little and join the real world.

If I submitted a shot to dailies today and said "sorry you don't like it, i'm disabled and in pain." How do you think that would go? Do you think my employer would ring up the client and ask for this shot to slip through sub-par because the artist isn't feeling well?

Not trying to be harsh but your injuries are irrelevant here.

keraj37
05-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Please look at this image recently posted into 3D Stills gallery:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=977762

And now look at my rejected renders (one of same car):

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/3682/cosfrontdesert.jpg

http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g53/311453/311453_1304848207_large.jpg

And now please judge - is my render really worse?
I understand the author of this thread.

Ok, I see that my render isn't that great, but you have to act justly - if you reject one please do not accept other.

Cheers!

leigh
05-11-2011, 08:52 AM
And now please judge - is my render really worse?
I understand the author of this thread.

Ok, I see that my render isn't that great, but you have to act justly - if you reject one please do not accept other.

Except it isn't about the model. Having a well made model doesn't entitle you to be in the gallery, because your overall presentation of the model is quite poor. Do you honestly think the quality of your render is on par with the one that did get accepted? You even admit your render "isn't great", so why do you feel entitled to be in the showcase gallery if your work isn't great?

keraj37
05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
It is just the proof I know nothing about CG, for I feel that it was not justly made rejection. But you know - I accept it.

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.