PDA

View Full Version : Real-time physically based rendering

Eugenio
04-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Just want to share this very interesting link...

http://research.tri-ace.com/detail_1.html
Rendered in real-time on Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3
Runs at 30Hz with 720p and is directly captured from the video output on the devkit

Regards,
Jr.

Kakkoii
04-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Yeah, saw this a few days ago too, it's pretty great. Nice to see where game engines will hopefully be heading in the next few years. Current consoles won't be able to render like that with actual game code running also, just cut scenes pretty much. The samples are pretty low to keep it at an acceptable frame-rate and there's a lot of reflection/specular artifacting as a result. As well as pretty much no AA. But on a modern gaming PC this could reasonably be run in a game scenario, so pretty exciting.

mustique
04-26-2011, 11:43 PM
very interesting read.
If I'd own ADSK, EA, or Pixar, I probably would have booked a trip to Japan by now.

samartin
04-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I see Nick Drake has a future! Only viewed it on my mobile device and it looked very nice indeed, can't wait to see the full 720p version on a big screen. Looks very impressive in the screenshots..

Venkman
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Wow, Tri-Ace really stepped up. That is supremely good looking for an Xbox 360 game. Things like this get me even more excited about the next gen of consoles.

EricM
04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
I still can't believe nothing in that video has been baked or precomputed. Whether it's the soft shadows, some bounced light, a lightmap or ambiant occlusion, something... Cryengine 3 and Frostbite 2 still use them for some elements, even though they have realtime GI for dynamic elements.

Is this really a plain flat diffuse map (+ specular) and all real-time shading and lighting ? With a scene like that interior, it would take me at least a few minutes to get that with C4D or VRAY. And they have it running at 30fps on an Xbox...

Ballo
04-27-2011, 07:14 PM
it looks even better than the UE3 tech demo.

Kakkoii
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
it looks even better than the UE3 tech demo.

The DX11 UE3 tech demo wasn't even very good. They fooled a lot of people by keeping it darkly lit, relying on neon lights and reflections to wow people. All the features they showed had already been used in some recent games in other engines, most notably the CryEngine 3. They are fairly late to the game with those features lol.

There's also a branch of the CryEngine 3 meant for even more realistic graphics for cinematics and film which runs in real-time also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNHJ-ekMR4&hd=1

It's pretty impressive, like the tri-ace demo.

Hirni_NG
04-30-2011, 01:35 PM
The demo looks impressive, though I do not understand why they are talking about physically based BRDFs as something new. There are a ton of physically based BRDFs, almost all other BRDFs except Phong BRDF are physically based. A BRDF ist just one line of code, use Cook-Torrance, Ward or modern variations of them to get the same effect in any game engine.

Combine them with one of the many varieties of real-time area light methods and you are pretty much done.

We have physically based BRDFs since the 80s and real-time area lighting since the 90s, Microsofts Principal Researcher John Snyder did a lot of work in that direction.

So the research on all of that is already very matured, though it is nice to see that those kind of methods are moving to the commercial side of real-time graphics, but you have to pay the price for the resources it costs to calculate a complex BRDF under area lighting.

CHRiTTeR
04-30-2011, 02:17 PM
The demo looks impressive, though I do not understand why they are talking about physically based BRDFs as something new.

Because ppl are easily impressed when they hear stuff they dont really understand. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2011, 02:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.